Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

It's the little things that annoy you

Discussing offers, rates and deals on suppliers
raybarrow
Lemon Slice

It's the little things that annoy you

Postby raybarrow » December 16th, 2021, 9:53 am

Hi Folks,
Mrs B and I have very similar/identical financial setups, both retired, company pensions, ISAs, shares, very similar high credit rating etc. We have Tesco ISAs and internet savers and did have current a/cs till they stopped them. Applied for new Tesco Internet Savers (the latest issue has a higher interest rate) Mrs B's application goes through instantly and mine has a 'just need to check something first' delay. This has happened before. No big deal really but most annoying. Happens with post as well, hers usually comes before mine. Could it be because she is a Brown Owl and in the Girl Guiding Maffia?
Ray.

pje16
Lemon Half

Re: It's the little things that annoy you

Postby pje16 » December 16th, 2021, 10:17 am

oh dear... a case of male discrimination?
Let's start a campaign and go on a march :lol:

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » December 16th, 2021, 10:21 am

who knows - its clear (to me anyway) that these institutions make it up as they go along

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » December 16th, 2021, 10:48 am

One of the reasons I have not swapped bank accounts is that the bonus £100 joining fee is swallowed up by the need for a signed solicitors (or other 'professionals') letter confirming identity etc. Mind you, that wasn't with the Nat West, where black bin bags would have done the trick

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59629711

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » December 16th, 2021, 10:54 am

I have opened 4 bank accounts over the years and have never needed a solcitors letter
Passport/Driving licence and a utility bill do the job quite nicely
not sure or see why swapping would be different

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » December 16th, 2021, 11:54 am

pje16 wrote:I have opened 4 bank accounts over the years and have never needed a solcitors letter

I was going to make a move to First Direct and then read the T&C's. The link below opens a pdf. Pages 4 & 5 apply.

https://www1.firstdirect.com/content/da ... d_FAQs.pdf

Things may be different now, but this is still a live link from their website.

raybarrow
Lemon Slice

Postby raybarrow » December 16th, 2021, 12:11 pm

Hi,
I was going to make a move to First Direct and then read the T&C's. The link below opens a pdf. Pages 4 & 5 apply

I'm sure a Doctor would be more than happy to spend time certifying your documents!!

I have bank accounts with a number of banks, including First Direct (from way back). Some have just a token amount in, so that when a better rate comes along I don't have to jump through hoops, apart from the Tesco anomaly, to take advantage.

I'm one of the DBS verifiers for Girl Guiding and they have quite tight rules regarding documents. Particularly tricky if they don't have a passport and driving licence.

What we don't know is how much fraud etc these checks actually stop.

Ray.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » December 16th, 2021, 12:11 pm

Redmires wrote:
pje16 wrote:I have opened 4 bank accounts over the years and have never needed a solcitors letter

I was going to make a move to First Direct and then read the T&C's. The link below opens a pdf. Pages 4 & 5 apply.

https://www1.firstdirect.com/content/da ... d_FAQs.pdf

Things may be different now, but this is still a live link from their website.

Good luck moving to FD
I have been with for over 30 years
they are the best bank by far (IMO)

Thing must have changed - well they have, the Anti money laundering act has seen to that
I opened mine way before that came into effect

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » December 16th, 2021, 12:35 pm

raybarrow wrote:I have bank accounts with a number of banks, including First Direct (from way back). Some have just a token amount in, so that when a better rate comes along I don't have to jump through hoops, apart from the Tesco anomaly, to take advantage.

Yeah, I do the same, and the Tesco anomaly is definitely strange ... I was an existing customer and applied for their latest saving a/c and got it instantly.

The number one thing to check if you get ID requests when applying for accounts is (a) are you registered to vote? and (b) does your address on the electoral roll match exactly, letter for letter, that from the postcode database? I.e. the address you choose when filling in one of those forms that asks for your postcode and then gives you a list of addresses to choose from.

stacker512
2 Lemon pips

Postby stacker512 » December 16th, 2021, 4:54 pm

Surprised to see Tesco Savings mentioned - they just decimated and obliterated all of their current accounts at the end of November, and I had assumed that they would also withdraw all their savings products too.

raybarrow
Lemon Slice

Postby raybarrow » December 18th, 2021, 9:48 am

Hi Stacker512,
Tesco dropped out of the Current a/c banking, concentrating on their Savings a/cs, presumably less costly as it's all done online. Reasonably competitive, in this rapidly changing financial world, watching things like introductory bonuses as do other banks. Swapped a/cs, including, ISAs, with Tesco over the years as their 'offers' improved/deteriorated normally with no problem. Same address for about 30 years, all quite boring as far as checking me out is concerned.

Another happy First Direct customer for many, many years for the main current bank account.

Ray.

Return to “Bank Accounts Savings & ISAs”