Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

New HSBC cards

Discussing offers, rates and deals on suppliers
XFool
The full Lemon

Re: New HSBC cards

Postby XFool » April 8th, 2022, 8:51 pm

Stompa wrote:
XFool wrote:Um. It hardly seems to matter what the face design looks like when it is in/going into a machine.

Well.....

https://www.techspot.com/amp/news/75706 ... -mind.html

https://www.businessinsider.com/credit- ... ?r=US&IR=T

Agree with most things on that first link, but not this:

"When you think about it, Day says, a landscape card is just a solution to a "problem" that no longer exists."

It doesn't matter what the design of card face is when it is 'in action', but surely they mostly reside in residence in landscape mode. That is when you look at them, when you need to see them.

And in the second link, what does this even mean:

" "The world around us is becoming more of the portrait mode and the vertical orientation," Jorge said."

Ah... He means screens on mobiles! Got it now - not that it necessarily makes any sense. It's the old 'Follow the fashion'. So my guess above was substantially correct.

(I wish PC screens were more "portrait"...)

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » April 8th, 2022, 9:07 pm

XFool wrote:...but surely they mostly reside in residence in landscape mode.

Mine don't!

I also get the impression that this sort of thing:

https://secrid.com/en-gb/cardprotector-silver

is becoming quite popular. Where the lack of embossing means you can fit in more cards.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » April 8th, 2022, 10:52 pm

Lootman wrote:Whenever I order something online I whip out my card and read the digits off the card (front or back). Nobody remembers that stuff.

Is this where I say that you can store the card details in Chrome/Edge/Android/Apple Pay, etc. to be met with tales of doom in response…

Anyway I do, and then I only need to remember the three digit CVV.

Stompa wrote:I also get the impression that this sort of thing:

is becoming quite popular. Where the lack of embossing means you can fit in more cards.

I would have said that not carrying the card at but storing the card on your phone and paying with that contactlessly was more popular.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » April 8th, 2022, 11:48 pm

AF62 wrote:
Lootman wrote:Whenever I order something online I whip out my card and read the digits off the card (front or back). Nobody remembers that stuff.

Is this where I say that you can store the card details in Chrome/Edge/Android/Apple Pay, etc. to be met with tales of doom in response…

Anyway I do, and then I only need to remember the three digit CVV.

I would have said that not carrying the card at but storing the card on your phone and paying with that contactlessly was more popular.

I think you are more high tech, and more trusting of high tech, than most people.

I have not seen any of these alleged cards with no digits on them, but would not want one myself.

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » April 9th, 2022, 9:16 am

AF62 wrote:

I agree, but it's not really relevant on a thread about the design of physical cards.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » April 9th, 2022, 12:30 pm

Stompa wrote:
AF62 wrote:

I agree, but it's not really relevant on a thread about the design of physical cards.

Although perhaps it is, as when you need scan a new card into Android/Apple pay using your phone's camera these new design cards are read far easier, and for many the physical card simply serves as a 'token' to activate that service and then is put aside and never touched again.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » April 9th, 2022, 12:35 pm

AF62 wrote:
Stompa wrote:
AF62 wrote:

Although perhaps it is, as when you need scan a new card into Android/Apple pay using your phone's camera these new design cards are read far easier, and for many the physical card simply serves as a 'token' to activate that service and then is put aside and never touched again.

At my local pub if you want to start a tab rather than pay as you go, you give your card to the barman who keeps it behind the bar, returning it to you when you settle up and leave. How would that work with a card with no identifying markings on it?

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » April 9th, 2022, 12:48 pm

Lootman wrote:
AF62 wrote:
Stompa wrote:
AF62 wrote:

At my local pub if you want to start a tab rather than pay as you go, you give your card to the barman who keeps it behind the bar, returning it to you when you settle up and leave. How would that work with a card with no identifying markings on it?

Give the barman your phone...

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » April 9th, 2022, 12:49 pm

AF62 wrote:
Lootman wrote:
AF62 wrote:
Stompa wrote:
AF62 wrote:I would have said that not carrying the card at but storing the card on your phone and paying with that contactlessly was more popular.

You're being funny, right?

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » April 9th, 2022, 1:19 pm

Lootman wrote:
AF62 wrote:
Lootman wrote:
AF62 wrote:
Stompa wrote:I agree, but it's not really relevant on a thread about the design of physical cards.

Not really.

What does giving the barman your card actually achieve? There isn’t anything the barman can do with it - even if it could be argued that you had given them permission to charge the drinks to the card, how are they actually going to achieve that without you putting in the PIN?

And if you decided to leave without the card then it is simple to replace it by just reporting it lost.

Handing over a card is just a symbolic token promising to pay; nothing more than that, and so could be substituted by any other object that is linked to you and that can serve the same symbolic purpose.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » April 9th, 2022, 1:31 pm

AF62 wrote:
Lootman wrote:
AF62 wrote:
Lootman wrote:
AF62 wrote:Although perhaps it is, as when you need scan a new card into Android/Apple pay using your phone's camera these new design cards are read far easier, and for many the physical card simply serves as a 'token' to activate that service and then is put aside and never touched again.

What does giving the barman your card actually achieve? There isn’t anything the barman can do with it - even if it could be argued that you had given them permission to charge the drinks to the card, how are they actually going to achieve that without you putting in the PIN?

And if you decided to leave without the card then it is simple to replace it by just reporting it lost.

Handing over a card is just a symbolic token promising to pay; nothing more than that, and so could be substituted by any other object that is linked to you and that can serve the same symbolic purpose.

That is as may be but I do get asked to "deposit" a card in that way from time to time. And for that I need a card that clearly identifies me.

Or what about in a restaurant where the cost is being split and we all place our cards on the table? And two people have the same card?

The idea of a card with no identifying information on it just doesn't make any sense to me and, I suspect, most people.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » April 9th, 2022, 3:08 pm

Lootman wrote:
AF62 wrote:
Lootman wrote:
AF62 wrote:
Lootman wrote:At my local pub if you want to start a tab rather than pay as you go, you give your card to the barman who keeps it behind the bar, returning it to you when you settle up and leave. How would that work with a card with no identifying markings on it?

That is as may be but I do get asked to "deposit" a card in that way from time to time. And for that I need a card that clearly identifies me.

A credit card doesn’t identify you. It might have a name on it, but is that you - it might be, but it might not be.

Lootman wrote:
Or what about in a restaurant where the cost is being split and we all place our cards on the table? And two people have the same card?

The idea of a card with no identifying information on it just doesn't make any sense to me and, I suspect, most people.

I think you are confused. The card does have the information, just not on the front of the card, but it is all on the rear.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » April 9th, 2022, 3:16 pm

AF62 wrote:
Lootman wrote:Or what about in a restaurant where the cost is being split and we all place our cards on the table? And two people have the same card?

I think you are confused. The card does have the information, just not on the front of the card, but it is all on the rear.

In the case of the OP's card, yes. I have a card like that too and it is no problem.

I was referring more to the idea somebody came up with that cards could have no written information on them at all: no name, no digits etc. for "security reasons". That is what I was commenting about as I do not believe that could work in practice.

And yes of course the bearer of a card may not be the owner of that card. I have sometimes loaned my card to someone else to use, without any problem.

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » April 9th, 2022, 3:43 pm

Lootman wrote:And yes of course the bearer of a card may not be the owner of that card. I have sometimes loaned my card to someone else to use, without any problem.

Many years ago, back in the days of the old manual imprinter machines, I had a Citibank card that had my photo on it. It seemed like a good idea to me at the time, but in reality after handing it over to make a payment, nobody ever appeared to look at it.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » April 9th, 2022, 3:51 pm

Stompa wrote:
Lootman wrote:And yes of course the bearer of a card may not be the owner of that card. I have sometimes loaned my card to someone else to use, without any problem.

Many years ago, back in the days of the old manual imprinter machines, I had a Citibank card that had my photo on it. It seemed like a good idea to me at the time, but in reality after handing it over to make a payment, nobody ever appeared to look at it.

That is like how they used to compare the signature on the credit card slip with the signature on the back of the card. Nobody does that check any more. Although of course with PINs and contactless, there is often no signature anyway.

So lending a card to others has become much easier.

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » April 9th, 2022, 3:57 pm

Lootman wrote:
Stompa wrote:

That is like how they used to compare the signature on the credit card slip with the signature on the back of the card. Nobody does that check any more. Although of course with PINs and contactless, there is often no signature anyway.

Interesting, I've not had one without a signature panel so far.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » April 9th, 2022, 4:01 pm

Stompa wrote:
Lootman wrote:
Stompa wrote:

I was not suggesting that there are any cards out there without a signature panel. Only that when you do have to sign for a purchase, nobody seems to care any more whether or not that signature matches the one on the back of the card. Presumably the vendor already has an electronic authorisation for the purchase and so knows he is getting his money.

Banks still check the signature on cheques however, I happen to know.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » April 9th, 2022, 4:03 pm

Stompa wrote:
Lootman wrote:
Stompa wrote:

But the signature panel on the new cards is teeny tiny so it is pretty unlikely anything ‘signed’ in that tiny box will look anything like a normal signature.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » April 9th, 2022, 4:11 pm

AF62 wrote:
Stompa wrote:
Lootman wrote:
Stompa wrote:

But the signature panel on the new cards is teeny tiny so it is pretty unlikely anything ‘signed’ in that tiny box will look anything like a normal signature.

Not only that but quite often you have to sign with your finger on an electronic panel, and at least in my case those end up looking nothing like my normal signature anyway.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » April 9th, 2022, 4:27 pm

Lootman wrote:
AF62 wrote:
Stompa wrote:
Lootman wrote:
Stompa wrote:Many years ago, back in the days of the old manual imprinter machines, I had a Citibank card that had my photo on it. It seemed like a good idea to me at the time, but in reality after handing it over to make a payment, nobody ever appeared to look at it.

Not only that but quite often you have to sign with your finger on an electronic panel, and at least in my case those end up looking nothing like my normal signature anyway.

Does anyone actually try to sign those and not just swipe their finger over it? The only more pointless thing than those devices is the indicator stalk on a BMW.

Return to “Bank Accounts Savings & ISAs”