Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

National Savings and Investments 2-factor authentication

Discussing offers, rates and deals on suppliers
Loup321
Lemon Slice

National Savings and Investments 2-factor authentication

Postby Loup321 » July 19th, 2022, 2:55 pm

I've just logged on to National Savings and Investments for the first time with the 2-factor authentication. Gosh it was painful! Once I had got the one time passcode, and entered it on the screen, it paused for a couple of seconds to "Authenticate the browser." The first time it asked me to set up another PIN, so I did, and then put me back to the log in screen. The next three times, I got the OTP and entered it, and was dumped straight back to the log in screen. Then I turned off "connection control" and logged in again. This time I got through to my account successfully! Hurrah!

I've since tried to log in again. I'm using Edge, which starts something called connection control as soon as I go to any banking website. To get into NSandI I have to end connection control, log in (it doesn't ask for an OPT, and I still don't know what the new PIN is for), and connection control is restarted while I'm being logged in. Then everything is fine. I cannot log in by completing the login screen while connection control is active.

I hope this workaround is useful to anyone else who is struggling. And I hope it continues to work for me and I don't forget it!

LouP

XFool
The full Lemon

Re: National Savings and Investments 2-factor authentication

Postby XFool » July 19th, 2022, 5:13 pm

I just tried this out myself for the first time, also while using Edge. Went OK. I don't know anything about "connection control" or what that NS&i "Securing your browser" was about.

I imagine the individual 6 digit PIN is only for use in special circumstances.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » July 19th, 2022, 5:57 pm

Nope, not working for me using Firefox.

First login attempt it showed me a six digit number and then it phoned me and asked me to key in that number on the phone.
Then it asked me to set up a 6 digit PIN.
Then it prompted me to enter a passcode, which it texted to my mobile to "Authenticate the browser".
Then it dumped me back to the login screen, at which I re-entered my details.
Then it prompted me to enter a passcode, which it texted to my mobile to "Authenticate the browser".
Then it dumped me back to the login screen, at which point I closed the tab. :x

It's hot and I give up for the day. Maybe tomorrow I'll try again, with different browsers if it still doesn't work, with ad-blockers etc disabled if needed, with cookies reset, etc, etc.........................

Loup321
Lemon Slice

Postby Loup321 » July 19th, 2022, 6:56 pm

I've just had another look at the Connection Control, and see that it's part of my F-secure anti-virus and firewall protection, and not anything to do with Edge. Apologies for the confusion earlier. So basically, I'm getting a pop-up with additional security from the anti-virus, that I can disable if I want to.

It's also stopping me from entering the Euromillions. So I just have to disable it there as well. Or not gamble, I suppose.

mc2fool wrote:First login attempt it showed me a six digit number and then it phoned me and asked me to key in that number on the phone.
Then it asked me to set up a 6 digit PIN.
Then it dumped me back to the login screen, at which point I closed the tab. :x

Mc2fool - it sounds as though you are having EXACTLY the same trouble as I had earlier (I didn't have to key in a number from the screen, though, but I may have verified my phone number previously). I know it sounds risky, but try disabling your firewall or antivirus and see if that helps. My connection control will restart any time it feels like it, so I'm not disabling anything permanently that I have to remember to turn back on.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » July 19th, 2022, 8:03 pm

No problem here using Chrome.
Logged in, got a one-time code via text, entered the code, got a prompt to create a 6-digit PIN, then a prompt to verify the PIN and a minute later I was logged in after it had authenticated the browser.

Logged out, then logged in again..... entered my customer number, name and password, a short delay while it authenticated the browser and I was in.

--kiloran

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » July 19th, 2022, 8:10 pm

kiloran wrote:No problem here using Chrome.

Yup, on checking I've also no problem with Chrome ... but I still have the same problem as above with Firefox. I'll experiment with it tomorrow....

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » July 19th, 2022, 8:17 pm

mc2fool wrote:
kiloran wrote:No problem here using Chrome.

Yup, on checking I've also no problem with Chrome ... but I still have the same problem as above with Firefox. I'll experiment with it tomorrow....

I just tried with Firefox portable and saw the problem you described. Plain vanilla Firefox, no add-ins, with Windows 10 and Microsoft security.

--kiloran

formoverfunction
Lemon Slice

Postby formoverfunction » July 20th, 2022, 6:22 am

Same problems here, it's taken me about 10 minutes to login in. It's as if they think VPN and hardened browsers are an issue.
They want you to be less secure, to be secure with them.
So I needed account number, surname, password, 2 factor (sms) and pin.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » July 20th, 2022, 5:59 pm

Well it now works for me with Firefox from both my W10Pro desktop and W10Home laptop.

Works on Chrome too, and I thought I'd also try Opera, as it has a built in VPN, and am getting all sorts of glitches and not much luck with the VPN turned on. Managed to log in with it on the laptop with VPN turned off, but when now I try on he desktop I get:

You've already reached your trusted device limit
You can manage up to 7 trusted devices (up to 3 apps and up to 4 browsers).
Remove a device by logging in from a device you've already trusted.

Just by logging in? No, what it doesn't tell you is that you have to look under Your profile -> Your details to change your list of trusted devices. You can change your PIN there too.

Unhelpfully it doesn't do anything to differentiate between similar devices, like my desktop and laptop. I just have two entries that say "Windows (Firefox) Browser" with no clue as to which is which....

yorkshirelad1
Lemon Slice

Postby yorkshirelad1 » July 22nd, 2022, 8:23 pm

Saw the updated login 2FA process yesterday and registered for it, and it went fine and was able to login and do what I wanted.
Tried again today and logged in as normal and no need for a code via SMS.

I'd love to know what it's doing when it says "authenticating your device" as if it's doing something clever (somehow I doubtt it, or maybe too clever by half so it will trip up on itself at some point!).

mc2fool wrote:you have to look under Your profile -> Your details to change your list of trusted devices.

Thanks for the tip on where to find "Your trusted devices": It would never have crossed my mind to look there (and it's not much use really, but anyway!)

When I logged out, I got

NS&I wrote:Two-factor authentication is here

The way you log in to your account has changed.
You have been logged out

Tell us what you think

We aim to provide a good service for our customers.

We’d like to hear your views through a short survey as this will help us make improvements in the future. The survey will take less than two minutes to complete.

Please click the button below to start the survey.

I didn't do their survey, and the text above does not include a hyperlink as it was probably coded to my login.

Return to “Bank Accounts Savings & ISAs”