Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Nationwide: Voting at AGM

Discussing offers, rates and deals on suppliers
bruncher
Lemon Quarter

Nationwide: Voting at AGM

Postby bruncher » June 19th, 2022, 10:26 am

The benefits of having a Nationwide account of any kind seem to have deteriorated over recent years. Just wondering if there are any account holders here and whether you are voting in this years AGM?

Like many organisations it seems to be a good place to work - if you're in the top echelons. The new Chief Exec will be paid a basic salary of more than a million, with bonus of up to 3.4 Mn
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/nati ... -2rw6kl8qr
Not sure about the mutuality of this

Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Re: Nationwide: Voting at AGM

Postby Gersemi » June 19th, 2022, 11:19 am

Yes, I'm a member and will probably vote in the AGM, I usually do. However to be honest I'm don't think I really have the knowledge to make an informed vote. I generally just do it because it seems right to exercise your right to vote.

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » June 19th, 2022, 11:45 am

I never vote. It would take too long to make up an opinion, and executive pay won't be capped by minnows like me whining.

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » June 19th, 2022, 12:50 pm

I always vote......and vote against all the top execs......their pay is far to high.
I don't suppose me voting makes much difference to the result but it makes me feel a whole lot better.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » June 19th, 2022, 2:03 pm

bruncher wrote:The benefits of having a Nationwide account of any kind seem to have deteriorated over recent years. Just wondering if there are any account holders here and whether you are voting in this years AGM?

Like many organisations it seems to be a good place to work - if you're in the top echelons.

Isn't this pretty well universally true, today?

scottnsilky
Lemon Slice

Postby scottnsilky » June 19th, 2022, 8:08 pm

Gersemi wrote:Yes, I'm a member and will probably vote in the AGM, I usually do. However to be honest I'm don't think I really have the knowledge to make an informed vote. I generally just do it because it seems right to exercise your right to vote.

I would agree with that, I always vote against all the remuneration questions and the auditors as a matter of course. I have no interest in reading the histories and ambitions of the prospective directors, so they just take potluck.

Six of seven years ago I went to the AGM when it was held in my local town, obvious complaints about excessive pay, but water off a ducks back. We have to pay the going rate etc etc.

I'm very disappointed with what we, as owners of the mutual, get back from it. They crow about making £350 million profit, but none of it comes our way. The pat answer is, I think, well, better rates for mortgages and loans. I'm not sure we do, I've never had either from Nationwide anyway. I got more back from two years with Britannia than I've had from forty years with N/W. But, having said that, I'm still with them, mainly because I'm reasonably happy with the service I get.

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » June 19th, 2022, 8:12 pm

I'm a rate tart.....whoever pays the most gets my money. I couldn't care less if it Nationwide or anyone else. I have no loyalty to any savings institution. As far as I'm concerned they are all as bad as each other.

Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Postby Gersemi » June 19th, 2022, 9:15 pm

richlist wrote:I'm a rate tart.....whoever pays the most gets my money. I couldn't care less if it Nationwide or anyone else. I have no loyalty to any savings institution. As far as I'm concerned they are all as bad as each other.

Me too. In fact the only account I have with them is an old InvestDirect account that I have kept to maintain my membership. A few years back they did a Members Reward savings account (or some such name) which was quite good for a while, but it didn't last. Come to think of it I opened a current account in order to manage this account which just has £10 in it. I really should tidy up and close these things, but I have enough trouble keeping up with stuff I need to do without bothering with tidying up.

Return to “Bank Accounts Savings & ISAs”