Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Split SIPP and ISA brokers for safety?

Discussing offers, rates and deals on suppliers
TAllen

Split SIPP and ISA brokers for safety?

Postby TAllen » July 20th, 2022, 8:48 pm

I have a SIPP with Interactive Investor and a S&S ISAs elsewhere, with substantial* balances in each. The S&S are flexible investments that aren't ringfenced for a particular purpose, but will give additional pension income.

I was considering consolidating the S&S ISAs into my II account for simplicity, but is that a wise move to have all the eggs in one basket, or should I use two separate brokers just in case?

It's a commonly question, but I can't find the answer (forgive me). Thanks.

(*substantial in my terms at least!)

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: Split SIPP and ISA brokers for safety?

Postby Itsallaguess » July 20th, 2022, 9:02 pm

TAllen wrote:
I have a SIPP with Interactive Investor and a S&S ISAs elsewhere, with substantial* balances in each. The S&S are flexible investments that aren't ringfenced for a particular purpose, but will give additional pension income.

I was considering consolidating the S&S ISAs into my II account for simplicity, but is that a wise move to have all the eggs in one basket, or should I use two separate brokers just in case?

It's a commonly question, but I can't find the answer

I'm not sure that there is 'an' answer, because we've all got different approaches to risk etc., but if it helps, someone else has recently asked almost exactly the same question over on the Pensions board, so it will be worth having a read of that, because it's already gained a few responses that are likely to interest you, and perhaps it might be worth even consolidating any additional queries you might have yourself on that thread, to hopefully helps focus everyone's efforts on a single thread, rather than risk repeating stuff across two very similar but diverse threads -

https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=35228

Personally, I'm in the camp that sees some value in at least some level of 'split brokers', as I can't see enough reasoning not to in all honesty, and I can see a few reasons why having some level of split brokers might sometimes be a helpful situation to be in, some of which are helpfully covered by others in the above thread...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

doug2500
Lemon Slice

Postby doug2500 » July 20th, 2022, 9:13 pm

I use multiple brokers which can be a pain but I wouldn't change.

Very much each to their own though.

TAllen

Postby TAllen » July 20th, 2022, 9:42 pm

That's super @itsallaguess and @doug2500 - thank you for your responses.

For the record, your suggestions support my thinking that the tiny amount of extra admin might just help me sleep better at night.

I will consider this thread closed and read up on the discussions elsewhere. Thank you!

Return to “Bank Accounts Savings & ISAs”