Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Shelford,GrahamPlatt,gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown, for Donating to support the site

NS&I: 2FA: issue with 'limit' of trusted devices

Discussing offers, rates and deals on suppliers
yorkshirelad1
Lemon Slice

NS&I: 2FA: issue with 'limit' of trusted devices

Postby yorkshirelad1 » September 11th, 2022, 2:05 pm

It looks like there may be a bit of a hiccup with NS&I's new 2FA.
I tried to login to my account on nsandi.com this morning and got the error:

NS&I error wrote:Maximum device reached error
Sorry
There's a problem
You've already reached your trusted device limit
You can manage up to 7 trusted devices (up to 3 apps and up to 4 browsers).
Remove a device by logging in from a device you've already trusted.

I had to ring up, and thankfully got through quite quickly, and the nice lady took me through login and was able to clear out my list of trusted devices so that I could log in.
You can see your trusted devices in Profile / Details / Trusted Devices.
By the sound of it, the limit of trusted devices is created by some sort of combination of browser / app / device and ip address. I haven't been able to verify this, but from what she was saying, a different ip address is treated as another "device". I know I've pretty much been using one browser on one OS on one device, so ip address is the only thing that is different. This makes is a PITA if your internet is provided by one of the usual ISPs e.g. BT where the ip address can change periodically, so the ip address is dynamic (probably OK if you've got a fixed IP address). Apparently NS&I are aware of this, and doing something about it, but it's going to be a PITA if you have to ring up and get them to clear the list of trusted devices each time it fills up (alternatively, make a mental note to clear out the list of trusted devices yourself periodically, but if you remove a trusted device, this may require going through the 2FA again and doing a new PIN etc etc).

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Re: NS&I: 2FA: issue with 'limit' of trusted devices

Postby mutantpoodle » September 14th, 2022, 8:18 am

in view of all the obviousl problems NSandI are having with their so called 'security'
and although I so far not affected
I have logged in and deleted ALL my 'go paperless' options
as I see it this means I should receive everything on paper and excluding postal issues be more able to follow my bonds

as a point of note...I logged in without problem but had delay while 'device authorised'
then while working, I got 'timed out'
so logged in again
3 minutes delay while 'device authorised'

then wife logged in,,,we use same laptop....3 minute delay while 'device authotised'..also deleted all paperless options

so it looks like device authorisation is randomly linked to each 'customer'...NOT to an actual device

so what haappens when a family all use the one device???

yorkshirelad1
Lemon Slice

Postby yorkshirelad1 » September 14th, 2022, 11:19 am

mutantpoodle wrote:in view of all the obviousl problems NSandI are having with their so called 'security'
and although I so far not affected I have logged in and deleted ALL my 'go paperless' options

I use two NS&I accounts on the same device: I do admin on ILSC for myself and my sister (my sister's is currently unable to log in, becuase it's apparently got 7 trusted devices and I haven't got her to ring up and have them clear them down yet). I'll keep an eye on it.

My take is that the device authorisation is on a per customer basis, and each customer login has their own 7 devices. So it's not really authorising just the device (it's also login id and ip address as well). BICBW. I'm always curious what it's doing when it says "Securing your browser" or whatever it does (I'd be pretty miffed if NS&I are reconfiguring my browser): I've yet to find out!

I have no connection with NS&I, other than as a customer.

I get where you're coming from, going back to paper. I think there may be a few postal issues (strikes) in the near future too!

Personally , environmentally, I'd rather be paperless (and I would always scan NS&I letters anyway, so it saves me a job if I get documents electronically). Also, IME, NS&I letters take ages (I think their postal/printing process is proportionately even slower than their "device authorising"). I'm also in different places at different times, and I can keep up with e-mail from wherever I am, but post can sit for a while before I pick it up.

I've just logged in again today, and it's made me authenticate with a one-time passcode, and I've checked my trusted devies and I've now got two entries (having had my list cleared out at the weekend). I therefore deduce (but haven't checked) that my ip address has changed (as nothing else has changed).

yorkshirelad1
Lemon Slice

Postby yorkshirelad1 » September 29th, 2022, 11:19 am

I was helping my sister with her NS&I online account (which was suffering from the same problem) and I notice the limit has increased to 18 (from 7). Maybe that'll buy NS&I some time while they sort the issue out (or just kick it down the road...)

NS&I wrote:Manage your trusted devices
Give your device a new name or remove a device by clicking Edit.
You can manage up to 18 trusted devices (up to 3 apps and up to 15 browsers).

Return to “Bank Accounts Savings & ISAs”