Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

The bank that likes to yes well maybe if...

Discussing offers, rates and deals on suppliers
raybarrow
Lemon Slice

Postby raybarrow » November 7th, 2022, 8:42 am

Hi Folks,

A moan. We have TSB Classic a/cs with very little in, but they serve a purpose. They now offer a Spend&Save a/c with interest bearing Saving Pots included. Thought we would switch, and logging in to TSB there is a dedicated 'Switch from Classic a/c' option. Great, fill in a simple form name, a/c details. Job done. Well not quite. Now have an email saying thank you and could you supply some ID. What is up with them. No name change, no address change, no phone number change and account sort code and number will stay the same and have been with them for years.

Unlike me but I can't be bothered.

Moan over,
Ray.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Re: The bank that likes to yes well maybe if...

Postby stevensfo » November 7th, 2022, 11:57 am

raybarrow wrote:Hi Folks,

A moan. We have TSB Classic a/cs with very little in, but they serve a purpose. They now offer a Spend&Save a/c with interest bearing Saving Pots included. Thought we would switch, and logging in to TSB there is a dedicated 'Switch from Classic a/c' option. Great, fill in a simple form name, a/c details. Job done. Well not quite. Now have an email saying thank you and could you supply some ID. What is up with them. No name change, no address change, no phone number change and account sort code and number will stay the same and have been with them for years.

Moan over,
Ray.

Repeatedly asking for ID seems to be the latest craze with banks. I guess they have their own KYC AML rules to follow, though I tend to follow my own KYB AML rules!

Crikey, that was years ago! Brings back memories. They're part of Sabadell now, so more likely to say 'El banco que dice si? Pero.... probablemente mañana.'

;)

Steve

raybarrow
Lemon Slice

Postby raybarrow » November 26th, 2022, 8:51 am

Hi Folks,
Just an update. Received notification that my application to change my Classsic Plus a/c to a Spend & Save a/c, had run out of time. OK fine. I applied again and after TSB telling me I couldn't change my a/c, it had to be a Classic Plus (which it was) discovered that they had in fact changed it to a Spend & Save a/c and not notified me.
Sometimes it's best to just let them get on with it, sit back and wait.
Ray.

Steveam
Lemon Slice

Postby Steveam » November 26th, 2022, 12:21 pm

Sue them for mental anguish and distress :D

Best wishes,

Steve

raybarrow
Lemon Slice

Postby raybarrow » November 29th, 2022, 9:48 am

Hi Steveam,

Sue them for mental anguish and distress :D

I'm not that unkind, (well not today), they obviously have a lot to deal with just sorting their systems out and it is coming up to Christmas.
Once I got over the initial 'What is going on?' I have to laugh and wonder who is in control, the employees or the computer systems.

Had a similar 'Systems 1 - Users 0' moment with my favourite bank, First Direct. Took best part of two years to close an empty, no actiivty savings account. Finally got confirmation yesterday. I blame the Pandemic and working from home.

Wouldn't it be boring if we didn't have these 'entertaining' moments?

Ray.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » November 29th, 2022, 10:09 am

raybarrow wrote:Had a similar 'Systems 1 - Users 0' moment with my favourite bank, First Direct. Took best part of two years to close an empty, no actiivty savings account. Finally got confirmation yesterday. I blame the Pandemic and working from home.

You are kinder than I.

The pandemic whilst of course actually still going on, hasn't realistically affected working practices for a long time now (over a year) even if people are working from home and not an office. Desk based jobs are desk based jobs whether in a office or a remote bedroom especially WRT wading though a list of "account closures" that doesn't require a mass meeting of 18 bodies all with flipcharts and physically interactive activities.

Id be more inclined to, if not "blame", at least use as an "excuse" the effects of Brexit and loss of a demographic of staff that have had to leave the UK as a result. And Im guessing cannot be employed remotely as a result. And hasn't been able to be filled from within the UK subsequently.

didds

Bminusrob
Lemon Slice

Postby Bminusrob » November 29th, 2022, 7:39 pm

Moan over,
Ray.

Well, if you have been through all the steps, then backed out at the point when you are asked for ID, surely the next step will be a visit from plod accusing you of banking fraud. Remember, they always go for the easy wins first.

Good luck.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » November 30th, 2022, 8:16 am

Bminusrob wrote:

Moan over,
Ray.

Well, if you have been through all the steps, then backed out at the point when you are asked for ID, surely the next step will be a visit from plod accusing you of banking fraud. Remember, they always go for the easy wins first.

Good luck.

I assume that last comment was tongue-in-cheek? ;) I've done the same loads of times, trudged through an application process, then decide that I've had enough. Asking for ID again is just part of their AML rules to show the auditors that they're at least 'pretending' to be squeaky clean.

But as law-abiding clients, conscious of the financial crisis and the billions paid in fines every year by banks dragged through the courts, questioning the need for sending the same ID again is surely part of our due diligence, concern for privacy, security and KYB.

I assume that the email requesting the ID had a name and contact details? I once had a similar request via an app, then on the website and in both cases there were no names or contact info available for me to check the authenticity of the request. Only after sending a rather strongly worded email did I receive an apology and confirmation that it was all genuine. These banks seem to getting more arrogant every year!

Steve

Bminusrob
Lemon Slice

Postby Bminusrob » December 1st, 2022, 8:47 am

stevensfo wrote:
Bminusrob wrote:

Moan over,
Ray.

Good luck.

I assume that last comment was tongue-in-cheek? ;) I've done the same loads of times, trudged through an application process, then decide that I've had enough. Asking for ID again is just part of their AML rules to show the auditors that they're at least 'pretending' to be squeaky clean.

But as law-abiding clients, conscious of the financial crisis and the billions paid in fines every year by banks dragged through the courts, questioning the need for sending the same ID again is surely part of our due diligence, concern for privacy, security and KYB.

I assume that the email requesting the ID had a name and contact details? I once had a similar request via an app, then on the website and in both cases there were no names or contact info available for me to check the authenticity of the request. Only after sending a rather strongly worded email did I receive an apology and confirmation that it was all genuine. These banks seem to getting more arrogant every year!

Steve

Yes. 90% tongue-in-cheek. I do, however, remember, some years ago now, I was called unsolicited by someone purporting to be my bank, wanting to sell me some sort of service. I don't remember exactly what they were trying to sell, but the first thing they wanted to do was to go through some secutiry questions. I got pretty grumpy with them at this point, and asked how I was to know if they were real or fraudsters. That took them back a bit, and I terminated the phone call at that point. I don't know if they have improved since then.

raybarrow
Lemon Slice

Postby raybarrow » December 2nd, 2022, 8:41 am

Hi,

I assume that the email requesting the ID had a name and contact details?

Yes, it was all genuine. I must have had one of those mornings. I worked for many years for an electricity supplier on a call centre and subsequently dealing with customer complaints and OFGEM. You develop a certain calmness, but sometimes...

Ray.

Return to “Bank Accounts Savings & ISAs”