Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Really p****d off with savings rates!

Discussing offers, rates and deals on suppliers
stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Really p****d off with savings rates!

Postby stevensfo » December 19th, 2022, 11:00 am

Yes, a naive question and I instinctively know the answer, but why the hell are the fixed term savings rates falling as the UK interest rates increase?

It started when they went to 3%. Now at 3.5%, the rates offered by AJBell and Monzo are lower than they were months ago.

I'm sure that the mortgage and loan rates follow the UK rate increase, so why do they bring down the savings rates?

Bah Humbug!

What the banks need is another Guy Fawkes!

Steve

PS Even if the gunpowder went off, in the average High street, most people probably wouldn't notice a difference! 8-)

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Re: Really p****d off with savings rates!

Postby richlist » December 19th, 2022, 1:37 pm

What makes you think that interest rates on savings accounts are linked to bank base rates ? They arent.

Perhaps you would benefit from looking at regular savings accounts. Lots available.....First Direct paying 7%, Coventry b/soc paying 5% are just two examples.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » December 19th, 2022, 1:54 pm

richlist wrote:What makes you think that interest rates on savings accounts are linked to bank base rates ? They arent.

Perhaps you would benefit from looking at regular savings accounts. Lots available.....First Direct paying 7%, Coventry b/soc paying 5% are just two examples.

When I see those kinds of teaser rates there is invariably some catch to it. Usually that rate only applies to relatively small amounts and so you end up needing a few or even many of them. And then of course the institution with the best rate changes month by month. So you end up constantly chopping and changing, chasing your tail, and frankly that is more trouble than it is worth. Not to mention a pig for doing your taxes.

So I have decided that I am not going to bother with savings accounts. Banks manipulate both saving rates and lending rates to suit themselves. The margin is huge and yet still the banks don't seem to do very well. I just use a money market fund within my sharedealing account.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » December 19th, 2022, 2:13 pm

Lootman wrote:...So I have decided that I am not going to bother with savings accounts. Banks manipulate both saving rates and lending rates to suit themselves. The margin is huge and yet still the banks don't seem to do very well.

Indeed. However, what do you actually do with your money?

Personally, I keep enough to meet expected expenses and invest the rest. Or to put it another way, convert it into something that doesn't suffer a known, expected, depreciation.

Saving something that devalues at the current rate doesn't seem all that great an idea to me.

Adamski
Lemon Quarter

Postby Adamski » December 19th, 2022, 2:22 pm

Cash has been losing money in real terms a long time. No choice but to invest in property or stocks (except obvs bad year this year) but 5 year returns should beat inflation.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » December 19th, 2022, 2:26 pm

Urbandreamer wrote:
Lootman wrote:...So I have decided that I am not going to bother with savings accounts. Banks manipulate both saving rates and lending rates to suit themselves. The margin is huge and yet still the banks don't seem to do very well.

Indeed. However, what do you actually do with your money?

Personally, I keep enough to meet expected expenses and invest the rest. Or to put it another way, convert it into something that doesn't suffer a known, expected, depreciation.

Saving something that devalues at the current rate doesn't seem all that great an idea to me.

I have two current accounts with 30K and 60K respectively, for everyday expenses.

100K in a money market fund in my share-dealing account. Plus about 40K there in cash for possible purchases of shares.

My interest is less than the current zero-rate band for interest, so no tax issues.

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » December 19th, 2022, 2:43 pm

Lootman wrote:
richlist wrote:What makes you think that interest rates on savings accounts are linked to bank base rates ? They arent.

When I see those kinds of teaser rates there is invariably some catch to it. Usually that rate only applies to relatively small amounts and so you end up needing a few or even many of them. And then of course the institution with the best rate changes month by month.

The Coventry b/soc regular saver stands out in that :
* Easy to open on line.
* You can save £1000 per month.
* It pays 5%.
* It can run for up to 3 years.
* You can access your money penalty free at any time.

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » December 19th, 2022, 2:55 pm

Coventry doesn't appear to be paying 5 per cent. Do you have a link?

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » December 19th, 2022, 2:59 pm

Sorry, small mistake on my part.....
Coventry FHS account currently pays 2.95%. The rate on that account increases to 5% on January 6th.

mike
Lemon Slice

Postby mike » December 19th, 2022, 4:07 pm

richlist wrote:Sorry, small mistake on my part.....
Coventry FHS account currently pays 2.95%. The rate on that account increases to 5% on January 6th.

The FHS account is their First Home Saver account, but it is closed to new applications as of today.
https://www.coventrybuildingsociety.co.uk/member/savings/closed-accounts.html

Their regular savings will be 4% from January (currently 3.15%), but it has the normal restictions for these type of accounts af £500 max per month and only for 12 months.

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » December 19th, 2022, 4:58 pm

Yes unfortunately that's always the problem with 'to good to be true' accounts....they can be pulled anytime. You need to get in quick to secure an account. Fortunately I got mine a couple of days ago.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » December 19th, 2022, 5:21 pm

stevensfo wrote:Yes, a naive question and I instinctively know the answer, but why the hell are the fixed term savings rates falling as the UK interest rates increase?

UK term interest rates aren't increasing. Why should (UK Bank and Building Society) fixed term savings rates be increasing?

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » December 19th, 2022, 5:56 pm

FDs is only on up to £3,600

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » December 19th, 2022, 6:33 pm

No? Well, they aren't "linked" but they at least know each other. :)

richlist wrote:Perhaps you would benefit from looking at regular savings accounts. Lots available.....First Direct paying 7%, Coventry b/soc paying 5% are just two examples.

But they aren't yearly rates for lump sums.

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » December 19th, 2022, 6:39 pm

XFool wrote:

No? Well, they aren't "linked" but they at least know each other. :)

richlist wrote:Perhaps you would benefit from looking at regular savings accounts. Lots available.....First Direct paying 7%, Coventry b/soc paying 5% are just two examples.

But they aren't yearly rates for lump sums.

The OP didn't indicate he was looking for lump sum savings.
Hopefully my suggestion to look at regular savings accounts hasn't upset you to much.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » December 19th, 2022, 6:40 pm

I found mycommunity finance with 4% plus rates for 1 year plus fixed lump sums.
https://www.mycommunityfinance.co.uk/saving-products

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » December 19th, 2022, 6:41 pm

pje16 wrote:

FDs is only on up to £3,600

Correct. Some people will be only to happy to build up such a princely sum especially at 7%.
Do you know of any other accounts paying a better rate ?

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » December 19th, 2022, 6:51 pm

richlist wrote:
pje16 wrote:FDs is only on up to £3,600

Correct. Some people will be only to happy to build up such a princely sum especially at 7%.

Who wouldn't? But it would only be "7%" in the first month! Then 11/12 of 7%, then 10/12 of 7% etc. :)

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » December 19th, 2022, 8:13 pm

stevensfo wrote:Yes, a naive question and I instinctively know the answer, but why the hell are the fixed term savings rates falling as the UK interest rates increase?

It started when they went to 3%. Now at 3.5%, the rates offered by AJBell and Monzo are lower than they were months ago.

I'm sure that the mortgage and loan rates follow the UK rate increase, so why do they bring down the savings rates?

Bah Humbug!

What the banks need is another Guy Fawkes!

Steve

PS Even if the gunpowder went off, in the average High street, most people probably wouldn't notice a difference! 8-)

In the rush to provide various examples of good rates, the original question doesn't seem to have been answered.

I believe it is because the higher long term rates available a while ago were based on the bank rate climbing to a higher figure than is now forecast, so the lower rates available at the moment reflect the new forecasts of a slightly lower bank rate peak.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » December 19th, 2022, 9:20 pm

staffordian wrote:In the rush to provide various examples of good rates, the original question doesn't seem to have been answered.

I believe it is because the higher long term rates available a while ago were based on the bank rate climbing to a higher figure than is now forecast, so the lower rates available at the moment reflect the new forecasts of a slightly lower bank rate peak.

Well I'd like to wade in and stay completely "off-topic", but for all the right reasons.

https://savingschampion.co.uk/best-buys

AiY(D)

Return to “Bank Accounts Savings & ISAs”