Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

NS n I transferable?

Discussing offers, rates and deals on suppliers
mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

NS n I transferable?

Postby mutantpoodle » May 30th, 2023, 8:47 pm

I would like to transfer some N S n I indexlinked bonds to children
They all have bonds in their own names already
Is this allowed as am aware indexed bonds not on sale

Would be a PET but……..

I aware can transfer to wifey on death,,,,but no plans on that yet

yorkshirelad1
Lemon Slice

Re: NS n I transferable?

Postby yorkshirelad1 » May 31st, 2023, 11:11 am

mutantpoodle wrote:I would like to transfer some N S n I indexlinked bonds to children
They all have bonds in their own names already
Is this allowed as am aware indexed bonds not on sale

Would be a PET but……..

I aware can transfer to wifey on death,,,,but no plans on that yet

I don't think a transfer of ownership of NS&I ILSCs is possible, except in exceptional circumstances (which probably includes death of an existing holder, or an under 16 holder reaching the age of 16, or whatever the age of entitlement is) or at the discretion of NS&I. I'm trying to find a reference for this, but not coming up with anything useful, and there's nothing about transfers in the ILSC product leaflet.

The best I could come up with is:
https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/experts/article-4451932/Can-merge-NS-savings-certificates-joint-names.html
NS&I wrote:any change to the account set up is classed as a transfer of ownership which is not permitted except in exceptional circumstances.

I will watch this thread with interest to see what else might come out of the woodwork.
I have (as exor) transfered ILSCs from my deceased mother to beneficiaries: this was relatively straightforward IIRC.
IANAL, I have no connection with NS&I other than as a customer (& holder of ILSCs)

Parky
Lemon Slice

Postby Parky » May 31st, 2023, 4:28 pm

I am in the process of attempting to transfer ILSCs held in trust to the beneficiaries. So far I have requested the transfer and NS&I have sent me a transfer form to fill in. I am currently awaiting an opportunity to get the signatures of the beneficiaries, but the implication is that the transfers will be possible. Watch this space.

yorkshirelad1
Lemon Slice

Postby yorkshirelad1 » May 31st, 2023, 5:32 pm

While I was sitting on the phone listening to some utility company's on hold music, I did a bit of searching of pdfs of previous ILSC T&Cs, and I came across this from a T&C dated 2022:
NS&I wrote:Inherited Certificates: If you inherit an Index-linked Savings Certificate you can transfer it into your name even if it takes you over the investment limit for that Issue. However, you won’t be able to buy any more Certificates of the same Issue.

which talks about transfering ILSCs through inheritance, but that's all I could find about transfers (my collection of T&Cs goes back to about 2015).
IME, the T&Cs that are supplied with ILSC are pretty slim these days. On the odd occasion I've had cause to go into finer detail on the workings of ILSC, and talked to someone at NS&I who had a grasp of the situation and not just someone reading a script, it sounds like there's a substantial collection of regulations which are available at NS&I HQ, but don't really get made available on their website or with the product particulars. The stock answer seems to be "You can't do x becuase they're not on sale any more" which always feels like a bit of a fob-off.

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » May 31st, 2023, 7:44 pm

Many thanks replies so far
At least my question wasnt considered too daft!

Its good to hear that ILSBs can be transferred if inherited,,,,do you think they would require the actual bond numbers to be named in the inheritance,,,or would bonds amounting to the inheritance be acceptable
Still no plans for death but my parents didnt do enough IHTplanning
I am hoping not to repeat payments to government

yorkshirelad1
Lemon Slice

Postby yorkshirelad1 » May 31st, 2023, 8:23 pm

mutantpoodle wrote:Its good to hear that ILSBs can be transferred if inherited,,,,do you think they would require the actual bond numbers to be named in the inheritance,,,or would bonds amounting to the inheritance be acceptable

I was sole exor for my mother. She held ILSCs at death. Beneficiaries were me and my sister in equal shares.
After probate, as exor, I wrote to NS&I and told them which ILSCs should be transfered to me, and which to my sister.
I did not split each ILSC into two (although NS&I would have done that IIRC): too much admin later on (as an aside, I spent a lot of effort consolidating small value ILSCs to save my admin, before about 2012 when it was still possible to consolidate and I wasn't about to undo all that work). I totted the total each of us got, and I think I gave my sister a bit of cash to make up the difference (I used probate valuation for each ILSC, which was acceptable to my sister). NS&I were not bothered who got what, that's up to the exors.

Return to “Bank Accounts Savings & ISAs”