Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

I am a Digital Exception

Discussing offers, rates and deals on suppliers
Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: I am a Digital Exception

Postby Lootman » June 19th, 2023, 10:42 pm

AF62 wrote:
Lootman wrote:As stated. i subsidise nobody.

So you never paid any tax at all in your life - fair enough.

Off topic but sure, in a broader sense I may well subsidise you as I almost definitely pay more tax than you do.

But as regards the banking system, I have free in-person, in-branch banking, so cannot be subsidising you or anyone else. The opposite, in fact.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » June 20th, 2023, 8:14 am

Lootman wrote:But as regards the banking system, I have free in-person, in-branch banking, so cannot be subsidising you or anyone else. The opposite, in fact.

As my bank has no branches then I am not subsidising you either, but your branch banking costs will be partly subsidised by the poor paying exorbitant interest rates and outrageous overdraft fees. Nice world isn't it.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » June 20th, 2023, 8:21 am

Get a room :roll:

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » June 20th, 2023, 9:12 am

Lootman wrote:
AF62 wrote:I was talking in the wider sense about you subsidising my *whole* lifestyle, not a minor part of it.

And don't forget to check the weather when you next have to trek to the bank to do whatever yo need to do, that I can do from the comfort of my sofa :lol:

As stated. i subsidise nobody. Sounds like the current system works.

If you are scared of a little rain then I do not know what to say, except that you live in the wrong country.

I have an umbrella but no local bank branch.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » June 20th, 2023, 11:16 am

Lootman wrote:
Generally there is a shortage of cashiers but an excess of useless suits milling about. Collar one of them to do your business. They won't like it but have been told they have to obey.

^^^ THUMBS UP!

Though I suspect their actual response is "use a machine" (pointing to the machines for automated telling services) or "see the cashier" (pointing to the queue of holiday-story-tellers and 5p-life-savings-withdrawals)

Whilst the point about choosing the time is spot on, nonetheless those of us still working have little choice - banks aren't open when we are not working, other than lunchtimes, when of course that is the same time as every other worker. See my blog article linked here a couple of times - sadly that also seems to be when bank staff also take their lunch en masse so there may be just a single cashier on whilst the lunch-time visitors are queued out the door back to Jarrow...

:-) <<<

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » June 20th, 2023, 2:07 pm

didds wrote:
Lootman wrote:Generally there is a shortage of cashiers but an excess of useless suits milling about. Collar one of them to do your business. They won't like it but have been told they have to obey.

^^^ THUMBS UP!

Though I suspect their actual response is "use a machine" (pointing to the machines for automated telling services) or "see the cashier" (pointing to the queue of holiday-story-tellers and 5p-life-savings-withdrawals)

Yes, bank branches these days seem to take one of two forms. The first is like my local Barclays - a bunch of machines and one or two clerks there to show you how to use them. On the other hand my local Natwest has only basic machines but a lot of staff, including greeters to direct you to the right person.

Then again my local HSBC has a bit of both. Machines that can do things like transfers and payments. But also staff who will do stuff for you.

And yes, I do get the "call the 0800 number" line (and the "download the app" line). To which my response is "If I had wanted to ring the number, I would not have come here". They always relent. And I am not above playing the age card or even the innocent card. I just feel that I should not have to.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » June 20th, 2023, 4:01 pm

didds wrote:
Lootman wrote:Generally there is a shortage of cashiers but an excess of useless suits milling about. Collar one of them to do your business. They won't like it but have been told they have to obey.

^^^ THUMBS UP!

Yes. I can't quite see how "greeters", even if fully qualified cashiers, could "do your business" since they aren't at a counter terminal.

didds wrote:Whilst the point about choosing the time is spot on, nonetheless those of us still working have little choice - banks aren't open when we are not working, other than lunchtimes, when of course that is the same time as every other worker. See my blog article linked here a couple of times - sadly that also seems to be when bank staff also take their lunch en masse so there may be just a single cashier on whilst the lunch-time visitors are queued out the door back to Jarrow...

I haven't used a 'Bank' bank for my own banking (OK my current bank is a BS) since I closed my National Westminster Bank account (it was Westminster Bank when I opened it) in Neasden in 1970... I don't know when.

All banking online for years now, apart from when I have to deposit a cheque from a share Registrar, or occasionally withdraw cash from an ATM. Can't imagine why anyone would want to visit a bank.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » June 20th, 2023, 4:24 pm

XFool wrote:
didds wrote:^^^ THUMBS UP!

I can't quite see how "greeters", even if fully qualified cashiers, could "do your business" since they aren't at a counter terminal.

They wither walk over to a terminal with you. Or else they carry a tablet type device with them.

Return to “Bank Accounts Savings & ISAs”