Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

(Transfer) Wise problems

Discussing offers, rates and deals on suppliers
Watis
Lemon Quarter

Re: (Transfer) Wise problems

Postby Watis » June 29th, 2023, 4:56 pm

jaizan wrote:I checked this site after hearing a friend is having similar problems, with Wise refusing to accept his proof of income.

He is also finding their customer service to be useless.

I have two questions:

1 Does anyone know the e-mail addresses or telephone numbers of the Wise Directors so the matter can be escalated ? The other option is to write to them by post, but that seems a little slow.

2 Which other providers have charges which are competitive with Wise ? I'm typically paying something in the 0.5~0.65% range when using Wise. This is far cheaper than the services I was using before discovering Wise.

When I was the Treasurer of a charity that supported work overseas, we used Xe.com without any problems. They take their fee from the spread and, IIRC, that was in the same range as you're paying Wise.

HTH,

Watis

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » June 29th, 2023, 5:04 pm

Watis wrote:
jaizan wrote:I checked this site after hearing a friend is having similar problems, with Wise refusing to accept his proof of income.

He is also finding their customer service to be useless.

I have two questions:

1 Does anyone know the e-mail addresses or telephone numbers of the Wise Directors so the matter can be escalated ? The other option is to write to them by post, but that seems a little slow.

2 Which other providers have charges which are competitive with Wise ? I'm typically paying something in the 0.5~0.65% range when using Wise. This is far cheaper than the services I was using before discovering Wise.

When I was the Treasurer of a charity that supported work overseas, we used Xe.com without any problems. They take their fee from the spread and, IIRC, that was in the same range as you're paying Wise.

HTH,

Watis

Seconded. I used XE as an alternative to Wise. No problems with them. Nothing in it really for charges using either for FX transfers. (But to be fair, I never had issues with Wise either).

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » June 29th, 2023, 5:20 pm

I used Caxtonfx a couple of years ago for transferring about £10k to an account in Denmark. Very cheap as I recall and good service. You could actually speak to someone who knew what they were doing.

jaizan
Lemon Slice

Postby jaizan » June 29th, 2023, 5:56 pm

goonerbob49 wrote:Mr Kristo Käärmann CEO

Email:' kristo@transferwise.com

I didn't get any success with that address, the last time I tried. Or the obvious variations.

I know google find a CEO e-mail site posting this information, however Transferwise inexplicably rebranded to Wise a couple of years ago & I believe their e-mails are now WISE.COM. For most staff, in the format firstname.surname@wise.com

In the past, I have had success e-mailing directors of other founder led financial services companies when the customer facing staff have lost the plot.

Steveam
Lemon Slice

Postby Steveam » July 3rd, 2023, 11:21 pm

There was an article in the FT earlier in the year on this very subject. Title of article:

Fintechs face reckoning over customer service

(I don’t seem to be able to post a link to the FT article)

Best wishes, Steve

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » July 4th, 2023, 7:41 am

Steveam wrote:There was an article in the FT earlier in the year on this very subject. Title of article:

Fintechs face reckoning over customer service

(I don’t seem to be able to post a link to the FT article)

https://www.ft.com/content/da82bae4-5846-499d-9a9e-f6a429fa9528 for those with FT subscription
https://www.google.com/search?q=FT+Fintechs+face+reckoning+over+customer+service and click FT result for those without

Looks like the OP was far from unique in their experience. Random freezing of accounts and then zero/useless service seems to be common.

Return to “Bank Accounts Savings & ISAs”