Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

And people wonder why banks ask questions...

Discussing offers, rates and deals on suppliers
mc2fool
Lemon Half

Re: And people wonder why banks ask questions...

Postby mc2fool » July 22nd, 2023, 2:37 pm

AF62 wrote:
mc2fool wrote:But there would be no hassle until and unless someone tried to fraudulently open an account in their name (and address), and the "disastrous consequences" would come from not informing the original person of it.

You can't see the possibility of the banks mistakenly identifying matches that are not fraudulent applications and all the issues that would flow from that?

What mistaken matches and what issues? The bank doesn't know if it's fraudulent or not -- that's the point of contacting you!

If a new account is opened with your name & address then you are informed of that (by whatever means are available: e.g. by email if the CRA has that, by phone if they have that, or by snail mail letter if all they have is your address). It's then up to you to decide if it's fraudulent or not. On receiving the communication you'll either say to yourself, "yep, I did open that" or you say "oh s*it, that wasn't me" and call the bank in question.

AF62 wrote:
mc2fool wrote:And for the accounts that count, i.e. current accounts, loans, etc (you can't rack up debt with a savings a/c, which is why the checks aren't so strict), they do already do checks "properly" (i.e. want sight of passports or the like) and in the cases where an account has been opened fraudulently it's almost certainly 'cos those checks have been defeated, with forged passports or the like, and which notification to the original person would catch.

So the solution is make the banks do checks on all accounts and make them do the checks properly, before venturing down off this suggested route that will only lead to issues.

So you're suggesting that banks make it much more difficult to open an, any, account? That they demand you turn up in person with photo ID, which they eyeball compare you and it, and then take it away and send to their passport/etc forgery experts to make absolutely sure?

AF62 wrote:
mc2fool wrote:What, you want to give everybody in the country an ID number? In order for that not to have failings from the start it'd require having everybody providing "proper" proof of who they are, if they haven't already, which means causing hassle to the entire section of the population where the bank holds damn all information other than name and address

I don't want it, because I don't think the proposed database solution is a sensible idea. But if you were going to mess around with that, then you would need to do it properly and that would mean all the issues you suggest.

Ok, good, so we're agreed that the proposed database solution isn't necessary. I doubt that banks allow people to open accounts with just an initial (J Bond) so that's not an issue (although I note my debit cards have just my initial on them, even though the account has my full name, so they obviously deal with initials), and I'm sure it's not beyond the wit of man to know that Jim is short for James. And if you are James Bond and someone opens an account at your address as Joan Bond then it's clearly not you.

Oh, I'm sure there'll be the odd cases that fall through, but let not the perfect be the enemy of the good. A simple matter of the CRAs notifying someone when a new account is opened under their name and address will be painless for the vast majority of cases and only require any hassle if it was fraudulent.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » July 22nd, 2023, 3:00 pm

mc2fool wrote:What, you want to give everybody in the country an ID number? In order for that not to have failings from the start it'd require having everybody providing "proper" proof of who they are, if they haven't already, which means causing hassle to the entire section of the population where the bank holds damn all information other than name and address

Interestingly, AFAICS, there is in general no definitive way of proving who anybody actually is.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » July 22nd, 2023, 3:46 pm

mc2fool wrote:
AF62 wrote:You can't see the possibility of the banks mistakenly identifying matches that are not fraudulent applications and all the issues that would flow from that?

What mistaken matches and what issues? The bank doesn't know if it's fraudulent or not -- that's the point of contacting you!

If a new account is opened with your name & address then you are informed of that (by whatever means are available: e.g. by email if the CRA has that, by phone if they have that, or by snail mail letter if all they have is your address). It's then up to you to decide if it's fraudulent or not. On receiving the communication you'll either say to yourself, "yep, I did open that" or you say "oh s*it, that wasn't me" and call the bank in question.

And what happens then? The bank needs to establish *who* is telling the truth, and if (as will happen with decades old accounts) the bank doesn't have sufficient proof that you are you, will call that person in to provide ID details - hence problem.

mc2fool wrote:
AF62 wrote:So the solution is make the banks do checks on all accounts and make them do the checks properly, before venturing down off this suggested route that will only lead to issues.

So you're suggesting that banks make it much more difficult to open an, any, account? That they demand you turn up in person with photo ID, which they eyeball compare you and it, and then take it away and send to their passport/etc forgery experts to make absolutely sure?

Yes I do expect banks to check IDs when someone wants to open an account.

mc2fool wrote:
AF62 wrote:I don't want it, because I don't think the proposed database solution is a sensible idea. But if you were going to mess around with that, then you would need to do it properly and that would mean all the issues you suggest.

Ok, good, so we're agreed that the proposed database solution isn't necessary. I doubt that banks allow people to open accounts with just an initial (J Bond) so that's not an issue (although I note my debit cards have just my initial on them, even though the account has my full name, so they obviously deal with initials), and I'm sure it's not beyond the wit of man to know that Jim is short for James. And if you are James Bond and someone opens an account at your address as Joan Bond then it's clearly not you.

Oh, I'm sure there'll be the odd cases that fall through, but let not the perfect be the enemy of the good. A simple matter of the CRAs notifying someone when a new account is opened under their name and address will be painless for the vast majority of cases and only require any hassle if it was fraudulent.

And how many cases of people opening accounts in other peoples names do you think take place, for which you want to introduce this massively invasive system to combat (a system that has flaws built in from the start so won't work properly anyway).

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » July 22nd, 2023, 4:33 pm

AF62 wrote:
mc2fool wrote:What mistaken matches and what issues? The bank doesn't know if it's fraudulent or not -- that's the point of contacting you!

And what happens then? The bank needs to establish *who* is telling the truth, and if (as will happen with decades old accounts) the bank doesn't have sufficient proof that you are you, will call that person in to provide ID details - hence problem.

Of course they will have to establish who is genuine and who is the fraudster. And yes, for some people that will be a hassle. But the only alternative is not to establish who is genuine and who is the fraudster.

AF62 wrote:
mc2fool wrote:So you're suggesting that banks make it much more difficult to open an, any, account? That they demand you turn up in person with photo ID, which they eyeball compare you and it, and then take it away and send to their passport/etc forgery experts to make absolutely sure?

Yes I do expect banks to check IDs when someone wants to open an account.

Really? You want that level of checking? Removal of passports to forgery experts? Making it a real hassle to open an account? Preventing anybody from opening any account except in person? The death of internet-only banking, right? Not to mention the death of banking with any bank/b.soc that you can't conveniently get to.

AF62 wrote:And how many cases of people opening accounts in other peoples names do you think take place, for which you want to introduce this massively invasive system to combat (a system that has flaws built in from the start so won't work properly anyway).

I have no idea how many cases take place but it is the discussion you have been engaging in (and not only with me) for the last couple of pages worth of posts. If you don't think it's a problem then why are you suggesting such draconian proposals to prevent it? Much more so than mine.

If you think that simply informing someone that an account has been opened under their name & address is "massively invasive" then we obviously have very different definitions of that phrase, and I just don't accept the level of "flaws" you are trying to make out. Nothing is perfect and wanting it to be so is just a way of preventing a reasonable solution from happening.

What I think of as massively invasive is your ideas of having to open any/all accounts in person and that:
AF62 wrote:The only workable solution is a government issued ID number and card that is required to be used to open / validate accounts, as anything else is a kludgy mess.

Which will, of course, require the issuer to "call that person in to provide ID details" where "that person" is everybody. Now that's massively invasive.

In any case, I recommend you and other Lemons sign up to https://www.clearscore.com/. It's free and they email you when a new current account or credit card under you name & address is opened. Other CRA services may do the same.

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » July 24th, 2023, 3:33 pm

stevensfo wrote:
So for the last million years, we've all known it it as the N.I. number, yet now, someone is trying to introduce yet another incomprehensible abbreviation or acronym into our language?

Steve

I wasn't aware it was new. I'm ( long ago and far away ) ex-Revenue, and I've always called it a NINO. The first hit I get when I google NINO is this-
https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » July 24th, 2023, 4:46 pm

genou wrote:
stevensfo wrote:
So for the last million years, we've all known it it as the N.I. number, yet now, someone is trying to introduce yet another incomprehensible abbreviation or acronym into our language?

Steve

I wasn't aware it was new. I'm ( long ago and far away ) ex-Revenue, and I've always called it a NINO. The first hit I get when I google NINO is this-

Could you show where 'NINO' is mentioned in that website?

In that link that you provided, I only find:

National Insurance number

No mention of NINO!

I have used TMF and TLF since 1999, and never heard of NINO.

So let's stick to N.I. number or something that everyone will understand!!

Steve

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » July 24th, 2023, 4:51 pm

stevensfo wrote:
genou wrote:I wasn't aware it was new. I'm ( long ago and far away ) ex-Revenue, and I've always called it a NINO. The first hit I get when I google NINO is this-

No mention of NINO!

Steve

Never heard of NINO. Sounds like a character from a Disney cartoon.

It's NI number and always has been.

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » July 24th, 2023, 5:25 pm

stevensfo wrote:

Steve

It's not, which is the point. The top result of a Google search on "NINO" is that page; and that page doesn't contain the term, so clearly I haven't just made it up, or why would Google return a page which doesn't contain it, and is giving it the exact meaning I thought it had? That's all I was saying, and that, I think, is my last word on the subject, since it is a matter of no moment.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » July 24th, 2023, 5:47 pm

stevensfo wrote:
genou wrote:I wasn't aware it was new. I'm ( long ago and far away ) ex-Revenue, and I've always called it a NINO. The first hit I get when I google NINO is this-

No mention of NINO!

NINO is the official government term for them, although to be pedantic it is NINo -

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... -intro.pdf

doolally
Lemon Slice

Postby doolally » July 24th, 2023, 5:54 pm

AF62 wrote:
stevensfo wrote:

No mention of NINO!

NINO is the official government term for them, although to be pedantic it is NINo -

And to be even more pedantic, NI number is not a number, it's a set of alphanumeric characters
doolally

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » July 24th, 2023, 6:31 pm

AF62 wrote:NINO is the official government term for them, although to be pedantic it is NINo -

And the Electoral Commission agrees: "National insurance numbers (NINo) should appear in the following combination of letters and numbers ... An application which does not contain a correct NINo, is missing the applicant’s NINo, or does not give a reason why a NINo cannot be provided is not a complete application and you cannot determine it for purposes of being included on the electoral register until a NINo or a statement as to why a NINo cannot be provided has been given."

But the House of Commons Library goes for all upper case:

"What are NINOs? ...
How does someone get a NINO? ...
If someone doesn’t have a NINO, do they need to apply for one? ...
What is the process for making an application for a NINO? ...
Can someone start work before they receive a NINO? ...
If someone has lost their NINO, how can they find it? ...
"

Wikipedia likes a space: "The number is sometimes referred to with the abbreviations NI No or NINO"

And HMRC is just plain inconsistent! "NIM39105 National Insurance Numbers (NINos): Format and Security: What is a NINO?"

Meanwhile, if anyone feels like unnecessarily paying a middle man to get one, there's: https://ninoapply.com/

Steveam
Lemon Slice

Postby Steveam » July 27th, 2023, 8:18 am

Return to “Bank Accounts Savings & ISAs”