Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Transfer out Cash ISA

Discussing offers, rates and deals on suppliers
squareofthewicket

Transfer out Cash ISA

Postby squareofthewicket » July 6th, 2023, 5:47 pm

Hello fellow Lemon Fools
Has anybody had any experience with transferring out a CASH ISA from Kent Reliance? I have sent them an email asking for information about Sort code / Account number to put in the transfer request form of my new Cash ISA provider but have yet to receive any response.

Also I am confused about what the bank is - Is it OneSavings Bank or Kent Reliance?

TIA

monabri
Lemon Half

Re: Transfer out Cash ISA

Postby monabri » July 6th, 2023, 7:26 pm

Did they not supply you with the sort code and account number in written form? Surely you have this already?

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » July 7th, 2023, 8:36 am

are trying to cash in an ISA at Kent Reliance??
OR
are you wanting to transfer the ISA to another provider?

the second option will mean that you keep an ISA and its benefits
the first option means that you liose forever the ISA in question

assuming you wanting to transfer to new provider
you tell ne wprovider to contact Kent and they do all the work

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » July 7th, 2023, 9:09 am

squareofthewicket wrote:Hello fellow Lemon Fools
Has anybody had any experience with transferring out a CASH ISA from Kent Reliance? I have sent them an email asking for information about Sort code / Account number to put in the transfer request form of my new Cash ISA provider but have yet to receive any response.

I don't have an ISA with them but I have been using them for non-ISA accounts for many years. If you send them a secure message (maybe that's what you meant by email) my experience is that they'll get back to you in two or three working days.

You probably do have the information already, it'll be in the funding instructions email sent to you when you opened the account, but it's best to check with them first.

Kent Reliance are one of those ex-building societies that don't have their own sort code but rather have a set of "collection" accounts with a clearing bank. In their case the sort code they give for funding accounts, 62-24-97, is with NatWest, and they seem to have a number of different accounts at NatWest for different a/c types. Your individual account number at Kent Reliance will be identified by the reference they gave you to put on transfers, which you can also find if you login and look at your account. It'll be of the form ABC1234567XYZ (where XYZ is the first three letters of your name).

squareofthewicket wrote:Also I am confused about what the bank is - Is it OneSavings Bank or Kent Reliance?

From the bottom of every page on https://www.kentreliance.co.uk/

"krbs, Kent Reliance Banking Services and Kent Reliance are trading names of OneSavings Bank plc."

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » July 7th, 2023, 8:42 pm

In my experience an ISA held at a building society either has its own sort code+account number, OR a roll number.

You never use the common "paying in" details.

If the form demands sort code+account number and you only have a roll number, you leave the sort code box empty and put the roll number in the account number box.

PochiSoldi

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » July 7th, 2023, 9:25 pm

pochisoldi wrote:In my experience an ISA held at a building society either has its own sort code+account number, OR a roll number.

You never use the common "paying in" details.

If the form demands sort code+account number and you only have a roll number, you leave the sort code box empty and put the roll number in the account number box.

Yes, I think that's correct and on rereading my reply I can see how it might read as otherwise. My point about the paying in details was that what you call the roll number would be in those details. As I said, "Your individual account number at Kent Reliance will be identified by the reference they gave you to put on transfers".

Bit it's still worth confirming with a secure message. ;)

BTW, it's not just building societies and ex- ones that have the ABC1234567XYZ form of account number. Some "lesser" banks do too, and on a quick flick through mine that includes Charter Savings Bank and Paragon Bank, as well as Kent Reliance. (All three call it your account number, not roll number.)

squareofthewicket

Postby squareofthewicket » July 10th, 2023, 4:31 pm

monabri wrote:Did they not supply you with the sort code and account number in written form? Surely you have this already?

I thought I had the original paperwork from when I had opened the Cash ISA a couple of years ago but can't seem to find it. I am going to give them a call, which I was avoiding as it usually takes any service provider a good one hour before your call is answered.

squareofthewicket

Postby squareofthewicket » July 10th, 2023, 4:33 pm

mutantpoodle wrote:are trying to cash in an ISA at Kent Reliance??
OR

Transferring the ISA ... but Kent Reliance Cash ISA at least is not lke other Bank's ISAs. There is no sort code and the account number looks like a Building Society reference number which the other Bank will not accept. It also wants the sort code in the transfer request form.

squareofthewicket

Postby squareofthewicket » July 10th, 2023, 4:37 pm

Thank you all for your replies... I still haven't received a response to my secure message which is so unlike them; they are usually quite good.
I will bite the bullet and give them a call; better safe than sorry.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » July 10th, 2023, 4:51 pm

If you can log on to send a secure msg, do they not allow you to see your account details?

squareofthewicket

Postby squareofthewicket » July 10th, 2023, 4:56 pm

monabri wrote:If you can log on to send a secure msg, do they not allow you to see your account details?

They do but the details don't include any sort code, only a strange bunch of letters and numbers which is supposed to be my account number

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » July 11th, 2023, 8:46 am

squareofthewicket wrote:
mutantpoodle wrote:are trying to cash in an ISA at Kent Reliance??
OR

Transferring the ISA ... but Kent Reliance Cash ISA at least is not lke other Bank's ISAs. There is no sort code and the account number looks like a Building Society reference number which the other Bank will not accept. It also wants the sort code in the transfer request form.

Your options:
1. Ask the new ISA provider to send you a paper transfer form for the transfer (this assumes that validation of an online form is getting in the way)

2. Transfer the ISA to an instant access ISA with an organisation that will accept it, which gives you an ISA account with a more conventional account number which can be transferred to wherever you actually want it to go.

3. Register a complaint with KR saying that they are actively blocking your ISA transfer. (Last resort)

I have the impression that KR "don't get it", so a route out that bypasses them altogether is to be preferred.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » July 11th, 2023, 9:24 am

pochisoldi wrote:
squareofthewicket wrote:Transferring the ISA ... but Kent Reliance Cash ISA at least is not lke other Bank's ISAs. There is no sort code and the account number looks like a Building Society reference number which the other Bank will not accept. It also wants the sort code in the transfer request form.

Your options:
1. Ask the new ISA provider to send you a paper transfer form for the transfer (this assumes that validation of an online form is getting in the way)

2. Transfer the ISA to an instant access ISA with an organisation that will accept it, which gives you an ISA account with a more conventional account number which can be transferred to wherever you actually want it to go.

3. Register a complaint with KR saying that they are actively blocking your ISA transfer. (Last resort)

I have the impression that KR "don't get it", so a route out that bypasses them altogether is to be preferred.

Actually from the info given it sounds like it's the new provider that "doesn't get it". The transfer form is sent from the new provider to the existing one (KR in this case) so it's up to the existing provider to say if the information identifying the ISA account to be transferred is insufficient, not the new provider.

As I say above, I have several Bldg.Soc, ex-Bldg.Soc and new-bank-that-was-never-a-Bldg.Soc accounts with ABC1234567FTL format account numbers. If squareofthewicket's new provider isn't accepting those they are precluding ISA transfers from accounts identified that way.

squareofthewicket

Postby squareofthewicket » July 31st, 2023, 10:35 am

Thank You everyone for their reply. They eventually came back with details in response to my secure message; I have decided to stay with KR as they have increased the interest rate on the account to almost mathcing the one to which I was going to transfer

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » July 31st, 2023, 10:46 am

squareofthewicket wrote:Thank You everyone for their reply. They eventually came back with details in response to my secure message

So don't keep us in suspense, what was the answer? :D

squareofthewicket

Postby squareofthewicket » August 16th, 2023, 12:06 pm

mc2fool wrote:
squareofthewicket wrote:Thank You everyone for their reply. They eventually came back with details in response to my secure message

So don't keep us in suspense, what was the answer? :D

They provided the details of the sort code / account number to provide to the new Cash ISA provider.

Return to “Bank Accounts Savings & ISAs”