Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Don't let cash be killed

Discussing offers, rates and deals on suppliers
mc2fool
Lemon Half

Re: Don't let cash be killed

Postby mc2fool » October 31st, 2023, 1:26 pm

GeoffF100 wrote:
swill453 wrote:I'm aware of the theory, but you haven't answered my question.

According to the post on MSE, Chase Bank sent the customer a message asking for proof of entitlement (I do not remember whether they froze the account at that stage). The bank was satisfied with the receipts for the tickets. I expect that the money transferred into the account was twice the price paid for the tickets.

Can you provide a link please? Google turns up a couple* of Chase proof of entitlement posts on MSE but neither are about tickets (of any kind).

( * https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/di ... ntitlement & https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/di ... chase-bank)

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » October 31st, 2023, 2:20 pm

Here it is:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/di ... t_80297987

He says he was locked out of his account. Of course, we do not know whether posts like this are fact or fiction, or whether the whole truth is being told. Nonetheless, there are frequent posts like this about a variety of banks. It has been commented that they seem to be more frequent with the new banks, who are keen to impress the FCA with their thoroughness. All their customers are new customers too, of course.

If you get payments from lots of other people's accounts, the bank may suspect that a personal account is being used as a business account, which they do not allow.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » October 31st, 2023, 3:31 pm

88V8 wrote: I have nothing but scorn for these smug people who hold me up in a queue while they fiddle with their phones.

V8

These are the same people though that would be fiddling with their wallet/purse which they have left at the bottom of the large shopping bag now full of a lot of shopping.

its about them not being prepared for the paying, whatever the means of payment. Not because they use a digital payment method. They'd be equally as painful if they were using cash.

And then they get the pile of 148 tokens that the till operator then has to go though one by one to check validity and enter into the till individually .

joy.

Here's a blog piece I wrote about it...
https://almost-middle-aged-musings.blog ... m/2016/04/

didds
Last edited by didds on October 31st, 2023, 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » October 31st, 2023, 3:38 pm

GeoffF100 wrote:According to the post on MSE, Chase Bank sent the customer a message asking for proof of entitlement (I do not remember whether they froze the account at that stage). The bank was satisfied with the receipts for the tickets..

unless these were for Celine Dion concerts, or The Boss ... Im amazed a bank is actually that bothered to check what is possibly under a couple of hundred quid.

Even several Boss tickets would be under 2K, the sort of amount a clapped out car sale might get .

??

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » October 31st, 2023, 3:41 pm

Lootman wrote: The only problem I have had trying to deposit money into somebody else's account is when doing that in cash, which banks no longer allow..

Really?

So If I sell a few household irtems that come to £150 I cant deposit that in my bank a/c ?

I HAVE to find something spend £150 cash on - and lose my CC cashback as a result plus whatever % interest in my savings account where that depsoit could then be transferred??

(yes I know the interest in £150 will be minimal!)

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » October 31st, 2023, 3:55 pm

didds wrote:
Lootman wrote: The only problem I have had trying to deposit money into somebody else's account is when doing that in cash, which banks no longer allow..

Really?

So If I sell a few household irtems that come to £150 I cant deposit that in my bank a/c ?

Yes, you can into yours, but you can't deposit it into Lootman's bank a/c. ;)

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » October 31st, 2023, 4:00 pm

ah - apologies ... I had indeed missed that nuance!

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » October 31st, 2023, 4:44 pm

didds wrote:ah - apologies ... I had indeed missed that nuance!

Yes, I used to occasionally deposit cash into my sons' bank accounts. Then at some point was told I could no longer do that.

However I do worry that at some point banks will tell me I cannot deposit cash into my own account, on the grounds that I could never prove where it came from!

My bank also asks me my intentions if I withdraw a larger amount, say £500 or more. To protect me, they would no doubt claim. I make something up.

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » October 31st, 2023, 5:27 pm

Lootman wrote:

Yes, I used to occasionally deposit cash into my sons' bank accounts. Then at some point was told I could no longer do that.

However I do worry that at some point banks will tell me I cannot deposit cash into my own account, on the grounds that I could never prove where it came from!

My bank also asks me my intentions if I withdraw a larger amount, say £500 or more. To protect me, they would no doubt claim. I make something up.

I have had this.

When we had our account in Sweden my branch of Bank of Scotland in Edinburgh were struggling to make a transfer (despite doing it before), eventually I gave up. I went onto the ferry to Sweden (back then there was one), changed about £4,000 to SEK at the bureau de change onboard, and tried to deposit the funds in my account at my Swedish bank. They were reluctant to take until I finally showed them the receipt for the funds received on the ferry at which point they relented.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » October 31st, 2023, 8:15 pm

Lootman wrote:

Are you sure? The limit for cash withdrawals before a possible investigation is £5000. If it's gone down to 500, then God help us!!

Steve

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » October 31st, 2023, 8:19 pm

Lootman wrote:My bank also asks me my intentions if I withdraw a larger amount, say £500 or more. To protect me, they would no doubt claim. I make something up.

My bank lets me withdraw £500 per day from an ATM. The ATM doesn't ask me my intentions!

Scott.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » October 31st, 2023, 8:22 pm

swill453 wrote:
Lootman wrote:My bank also asks me my intentions if I withdraw a larger amount, say £500 or more. To protect me, they would no doubt claim. I make something up.

My bank lets me withdraw £500 per day from an ATM. The ATM doesn't ask me my intentions!

Yes but then I cannot choose my denominations. I do not want £500 in tens.

And of course the ATM could also demand authorisation, as when I self check out of a supermarket with booze.

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » October 31st, 2023, 8:33 pm

I understand that "women of ill repute" is a reason commonly given. :)

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » October 31st, 2023, 8:37 pm

GeoffF100 wrote:

I understand that "women of ill repute" is a reason commonly given. :)

I will of course naturally defer to you on the subject of which payment options streetwalkers typically offer. :D

Personally I usually answer that question with "celebration" or some such.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » November 1st, 2023, 12:24 pm

Lootman wrote:
swill453 wrote:My bank lets me withdraw £500 per day from an ATM. The ATM doesn't ask me my intentions!

Yes but then I cannot choose my denominations. I do not want £500 in tens.

And of course the ATM could also demand authorisation, as when I self check out of a supermarket with booze.

Are there not ATMs that let you choose?

Our local Sainsbury has had the number of ATMs outside cut from three to one. There is always a queue.

Usually I get a mixture of 20s and 10s, but last time I withdrew a largish sum and I got everything in 10s! Not happy! :(

Steve

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 1st, 2023, 12:30 pm

stevensfo wrote:
Lootman wrote:Yes but then I cannot choose my denominations. I do not want £500 in tens.

Are there not ATMs that let you choose?

Some do. Most do not. It varies by bank and location. At my local HSBC branch the ATM inside the branch would give me £500 in tens, which is annoying. The ATM outside in the wall gives me twenties.

I think I have had £50 notes from an ATM but rarely. If I go to the counter I can get a mix including £50 and £5 notes, which is ideal for most purposes.

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » November 2nd, 2023, 8:13 am

And of course the ATM could also demand authorisation, as when I self check out of a supermarket with booze.[/

at the supermarket if authorisation refused you walk away

at the ATM its got your card !!

77ss
Lemon Quarter

Postby 77ss » November 2nd, 2023, 8:14 am

stevensfo wrote:.....

PS I know I've said it before, but (hand on heart) I have NEVER seen a pub, restaurant or shop that says 'card only'.

PPS Though that's in Cambridgeshire. I guess for Londoners, that's 'somewhere foreign'. 8-)

Well, my first experience of a pub that only accepted card was in Cambridge - and I go to London more often than to Cambridge.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » November 2nd, 2023, 8:58 am

77ss wrote:
stevensfo wrote:.....

PS I know I've said it before, but (hand on heart) I have NEVER seen a pub, restaurant or shop that says 'card only'.

PPS Though that's in Cambridgeshire. I guess for Londoners, that's 'somewhere foreign'. 8-)

Well, my first experience of a pub that only accepted card was in Cambridge - and I go to London more often than to Cambridge.

I haven't been into Cambridge for well over ten years. When I was much younger, I practically lived in the book shops there.

Further into the countryside, you'll find that everyone accepts cash.

A bit further still, and we're still at the barter stage. So sad to see a grown man giving their daughter away for a pint of Abbot ale! ;)

Steve

Return to “Bank Accounts Savings & ISAs”