Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Problems closing bank accounts

Discussing offers, rates and deals on suppliers
daveh
Lemon Quarter

Problems closing bank accounts

Postby daveh » November 16th, 2023, 12:42 pm

A few years ago I started getting letters about a Barclay's account that contained 100 quid or so, saying they were going to make it dormant as I hadn't done anything with it or logged on for 2-3 years . I couldn't log on as it required a card reader and card and the latter was out of date and Barclays had not sent a replacement. So I rang them up, asked for the cash in it to be transferred to my bank account and the account closed. Fortunately I had all the phone banking details and codes so that went well, except they didn't close the account as I kept getting occasional emails to say my statement was ready to view online. Now with interest rates becoming significant again I thought I'd better do something about it. So phone again and this time say can you close the account and you can pay any money in it (which will be single figure pence) to charity. Again they said they could do that and that I'd get an email to confirm. All I got was an email to say my statement was ready online. I'm hoping that was the final closing statement, but as I can't log on I don't know.

Yesterday I got a letter from the Cambridge building Society out of the blue to say they had made my account dormant as I hadn't used it for >15 years. I thought I'd closed all my Cambridge building society accounts years ago (as I've lived in Scotland for 26 years) and visiting a branch is a little time consuming and expensive. Its going to be interesting (pun intended) seeing if I can find out what account they think is still open and how much is in it without visiting them in branch with 2 forms of ID. If its just pence because they failed to close it properly and some interest appeared that stopped it being closed I'll see if they can close it and pay the money to charity.

How hard is it to close an account.

Sobraon
2 Lemon pips

Re: Problems closing bank accounts

Postby Sobraon » November 16th, 2023, 12:50 pm

Yes same issues in the past with HSBC, Halifax and ICICI and I had to be a little 'assertive' will all three to get an account closure confirmation.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » November 16th, 2023, 2:01 pm

daveh wrote:How hard is it to close an account.

Back in the days before I (mis)managed my own finances, we had an account with Towry Law, it took umpteen attempts to get it closed. I think they vaguely hope that one might repent of one's decision.

V8

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » November 16th, 2023, 2:37 pm

88V8 wrote:
daveh wrote:How hard is it to close an account.

Back in the days before I (mis)managed my own finances, we had an account with Towry Law, it took umpteen attempts to get it closed. I think they vaguely hope that one might repent of one's decision.

V8

I phoned them and they don't think I closed it. They said it contained a not insignificant sum - pounds not pence was their words. I'm hoping its not too many pounds as I've not known it was still in existence for 15-20 years so haven't told HMRC about it.

I just found some correspondence on my computer asking for a withdrawal by post saying I was enclosing a pass book and asking for them to send me a cheque by return post in a SAE that I'd including and that was in 2000. That's the most recent correspondence I can find on a computer. So now I have to see if I can find the pass book. Looks like I can close it by post with two items of certificated ID.

Return to “Bank Accounts Savings & ISAs”