Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Paying a cheque in by post

Discussing offers, rates and deals on suppliers
MyNameIsUrl
Lemon Slice

Paying a cheque in by post

Postby MyNameIsUrl » May 31st, 2024, 5:12 pm

I have a cheque I need to pay into someone else's account. There is no nearby branch so I'd like to do it by post. I've got their branch address by looking up the sort code.

However, I don't have a paying-in slip. I could print a slip for my own bank by googling for it, but HSBC doesn't seem to put one online.

Can I just write a letter with the relevant account name/details and post it to the branch with the cheque? Is it safe to assume a branch will accept mail and have staff to process it?

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Re: Paying a cheque in by post

Postby SalvorHardin » May 31st, 2024, 5:18 pm

MyNameIsUrl wrote:I have a cheque I need to pay into someone else's account. There is no nearby branch so I'd like to do it by post. I've got their branch address by looking up the sort code.

However, I don't have a paying-in slip. I could print a slip for my own bank by googling for it, but HSBC doesn't seem to put one online.

Can I just write a letter with the relevant account name/details and post it to the branch with the cheque? Is it safe to assume a branch will accept mail and have staff to process it?

That's what I did during lockdown. Four months without leaving home and gardens except to go to the postbox (about 100 yards away), mostly to send cheques to the bank to pay into my account. Everything went smoothly.

There should be enough staff at the branch to process the cheque. Just make sure that the instructions are very clear because it isn't your account.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » May 31st, 2024, 5:32 pm

Back in the pre internets I banked by post and for cheques when I had paying in slips I always put the sort code and account number of my account on the back of the cheque. So in this instance the recipients details, just in case cheque and letter are separated.

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » May 31st, 2024, 8:32 pm

MyNameIsUrl wrote:I have a cheque I need to pay into someone else's account. There is no nearby branch so I'd like to do it by post. I've got their branch address by looking up the sort code.

Just to clarify, is the cheque made payable to the other person? If so, the advice already given seems correct. If it's payable to you, then you'll have to bank it and pay the other person.

Return to “Bank Accounts Savings & ISAs”