Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to elkay,barchid,Tortoise1000,NotSure,csearle, for Donating to support the site

Bulb (energy supplier)

Covering Market, Trends, and Practical (but see LEMON-AID for Building & DIY)
modellingman
Lemon Slice

Bulb (energy supplier)

Postby modellingman » March 25th, 2021, 1:36 pm

One of the "joys" of being a landlord is dealing with utility companies.

One of my properties, normally let to students, became empty just before Christmas. I am not currently in the UK. The property is empty and undergoing quite a bit of refurbishment. At the beginning of March I sent an email to the energy supplier (Bulb). I sent it from the email address for me showing in Bulb's welcome letter sent by post to me at the property. I presume the outgoing tenants gave the email address to them. Not a problem. My email explained the circumstances and provided up to date meter readings. Bulb already had the tenant's final readings.

Now you might think that my request was simple: here's the latest meter readings, send me a bill (preferably electronically), I will pay it.

It wasn't.

However, 22 emails later, I think we are getting there.

For anyone who has time to spare, I have compiled the emails into a pdf. It can be downloaded from here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/urmxj9qk ... d.pdf/file.

TL:DR
After dealing with the children and sulky teenagers employed by Bulb and its outsourced debt collector, I finally managed to get the attention of a grown-up.

modellingman

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Re: Bulb (energy supplier)

Postby stevensfo » March 28th, 2021, 5:24 pm

modellingman wrote:One of the "joys" of being a landlord is dealing with utility companies.

One of my properties, normally let to students, became empty just before Christmas. I am not currently in the UK. The property is empty and undergoing quite a bit of refurbishment. At the beginning of March I sent an email to the energy supplier (Bulb). I sent it from the email address for me showing in Bulb's welcome letter sent by post to me at the property. I presume the outgoing tenants gave the email address to them. Not a problem. My email explained the circumstances and provided up to date meter readings. Bulb already had the tenant's final readings.

Now you might think that my request was simple: here's the latest meter readings, send me a bill (preferably electronically), I will pay it.

It wasn't.

However, 22 emails later, I think we are getting there.

For anyone who has time to spare, I have compiled the emails into a pdf. It can be downloaded from here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/urmxj9qk ... d.pdf/file.

TL:DR
After dealing with the children and sulky teenagers employed by Bulb and its outsourced debt collector, I finally managed to get the attention of a grown-up.

modellingman

Oh, I loved it!! About 25 years ago, I returned from working in France for 10 years, desperate for normal, courteous communications. Over years, I realised that the UK had pretty much adopted the French way of screwing their customers and treating them like &%@!!! The only thing I can suggest is to always keep all major correspondence via recorded letter. Any emails not containing the full name of the sender should be returned with an explanation. Take a strong, professional stance and insist on reciprocation.

PS Small threats of suing for medical issues arising from harassment can work wonders! ;)

Steve

Gan020
2 Lemon pips

Postby Gan020 » April 6th, 2021, 2:11 pm

I have had considerable adminstration problems with this company over my bill.

It stems from them working out my annual usuage based on some algorithm which claims it allows for additional usage in winter than summer.

I do not know exactly how it works but suffice to say Bulb were overestimating my annual usuage by around 80% (which appeared to stem from me having solar panels so very little energy usuage in the summer and a heat pump so large energy usuage in the winter as no gas but their algorithm apparently feeling my monthly patterns were outside normal parameters). Every month for about 5 months I would input the reading into their software as requested by their email and every month they would ignore it. They additionally ignored by emails to the email address they offered for bill readings.

Eventually I found another email address for customer complaints (the one they implore you to use before you go to the Ombudsman) and they fixed the bill within 48 hours.

I now have issues with my water bill which is read electronically by someone driving down the street. Apparently the meter reading they get from this does not match the reading on the actual meter and they maintain the electronic meter reading sent to the van that drives down the street is likely to be the correct one! I have no expectations of it being resolved quickly as in the meantime they've billed the reading on the actual meter as a "customer reading".

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » April 6th, 2021, 2:51 pm

Ah reminds me of a never ending debate I had with another utility company...very frustrating being passed around, having to start from scratch each time
I'm with Bulb and I've found them excellent to deal with, although I've never tried to do anything 'complicated'

Return to “Property Investment Discussions”