Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

EICR required?

Covering Market, Trends, and Practical (but see LEMON-AID for Building & DIY)
forgotusername
Lemon Pip

EICR required?

Postby forgotusername » August 29th, 2019, 5:55 pm

I recently read that the Government intended to make it mandatory for rental properties to have an Electrical Installation Inspection carried out. Can anyone tell me if this is already mandatory or is it still waiting on Parliament to make it law for properties that are not designated Homes of Multiple Occupancy?

modellingman
Lemon Slice

Re: EICR required?

Postby modellingman » August 31st, 2019, 6:54 am

No, it is not yet a legal requirement, though it is a requirement that the electrical installation and any electrical appliances supplied by the landlord be safe.

Electricians are expecting a substantial increase in periodic inspection work when the government finally gets around to going through the consultative and legislative processes needed to make electrical inspections a mandatory, legal requirement.

forgotusername
Lemon Pip

Postby forgotusername » August 31st, 2019, 9:06 am

thank you. that's very helpful.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » September 2nd, 2019, 1:09 pm

forgotusername wrote:I recently read that the Government intended to make it mandatory for rental properties to have an Electrical Installation Inspection carried out. Can anyone tell me if this is already mandatory or is it still waiting on Parliament to make it law for properties that are not designated Homes of Multiple Occupancy?

You have a reply to your question and here's some advice from the Residential Landlords Association:

https://www.rla.org.uk/landlord/guides/responsibilities/electrical_inspections.shtml

Have you looked at the Insurance Policy requirements? Ours, for a commercial property with partial residential use, specifically asked in the Statement of Fact whether or not there was a current EICR.

Return to “Property Investment Discussions”