Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Trying to Understand Residential Property in a Pension

Covering Market, Trends, and Practical (but see LEMON-AID for Building & DIY)
AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Trying to Understand Residential Property in a Pension

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » October 27th, 2019, 10:21 am

Hi,

Hopefully I have the correct board.

I'd like to understand the general principles of owning residential property in a pension fund.

To help me understand the various issues connected with this I have set myself a theoretical analogy.

For the last three years I have been working through a financial recovery plan whilst at the same time hoping my mental and physical health remain robust. I haven't done too well with my health over prolonged periods before this. That aside I've been back at work for four years now and will be in a position to commence operation "ave it" in the next six months. The three previous operations "hope", "oh yes" and "now we're cooking with gas" all went well and I am good to go for the final stage.

I am not in any rush to buy stuff for my pension. I'd like to have a bit more understanding of options first.

Example of House Purchase

House costs £100K
Rental income £6K pa.
No purchase tax (below £125K)

• Option 1. Purchase house with no lending facilities - what happens to the rental income? Can it be put into a stocks pension without being taxed? - a sort of rollover investment
  • Option 2. Purchase house with 75% LTV loan - pay off loan through rental income and additional monthly "pension" contributions(these being from personal income, do they attract tax rebates for higher rate tax band at 40%? Approximate value (including tax rebates of income available for this is £20K + £6K rent))
I realise the above is highly simplistic but hopefully someone can be kind enough to point me in the right direction to understand more please. Thank you

AiY

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Re: Trying to Understand Residential Property in a Pension

Postby Charlottesquare » October 29th, 2019, 9:48 am

Snorvey wrote:You can't have residential property in a pension.

Even if you could have residential if the SIPP costs were akin to those for commercial property a lot of the SIPP charges would seriously eat into the desirability.

There is imho a tipping point with individual property costs where enveloping them in a pension makes sense but £100k is imho really too low per unit when you work your way through the typical fixed (non percentage) SIPP tarrif of charges that could be levied.

We threw a parade of 9 shell retail units into a group of 4 SIPPS, costs as a percentage were high, sorting agreement to do any works on them was a pain (x quotes required), legal process to sell in was long winded and it was not a particularly satisfactory way to operate if you are more used to just getting on with things vis a vis property letting- it likely has its place but you must make sure you appreciate all charges at the front end.

We did it to move a project away from an existing lender post the 2008 banking crisis only because we had a gun at our head to refinance (we had access to funds in pensions but nowhere else) but given a choice it would not be the vehicle I would ever use as my first choice to buy property.

Return to “Property Investment Discussions”