Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

alerts@ourproperty.co.uk - should I be worried?

Covering Market, Trends, and Practical (but see LEMON-AID for Building & DIY)
Fluke
Lemon Slice

alerts@ourproperty.co.uk - should I be worried?

Postby Fluke » November 24th, 2022, 12:37 pm

Some time ago I read an article about a man who came home after working away to find his house had been sold from under him. The article explained that the fraudster was able to do this because the house was unoccupied and somehow emails to the owner were re-routed to the fraudster. It was all very complicated but the people who bought it did so legally with solicitors and estate agents involved, and the genuine owner, when he came home, could do nothing about it.

The article advised anyone concerned, particularly landlords, people without mortgages and/or where a property is left unoccupied for lengthy periods, could take precautions by registering their property(s) on the Land Registry site, a free service. Any enquiry made against a monitored property, e.g. a search enquiry, would trigger an alert which would be sent out to the person who registered that property. You don't even have to be the owner and you can register up to 10 properties.

More out of curiosity I registered my home (and only property) to see if any alerts were generated. And now to my point. Some time back I started to receive emails telling me that no alerts had been generated against my property this month, I didn't think much of it until this morning when I received another telling me that no alerts this month oh and by the way if you're interested in an energy grant click the link. That raised my eye brows. I took a closer look at the email address: alerts@ourproperty.co.uk

I went to the land registry site, logged in, probably for the first time since registering and located an email address for enquiries - propertyalert@landregistry.gov.uk - hmm see what they did there? I forwarded the email because ourproperty.co.uk looks like a legit website, and asked if this email was generated by them or an affiliate. Here's their reply:

Thank you for your email.

The email you have forwarded appears to be from Our Property this is not a Land Registry service. The Land Registry property alert do not contact you in relation to anything other than activity on the properties you are monitoring.

I'm pretty sure I've never clicked on any links from these emails but can't be certain so I changed my password on the LR site just in case. Any thoughts on any of this? Anyone had any dealings with Our Property? What is it they're alerting me about?

murraypaul
Lemon Slice

Re: alerts@ourproperty.co.uk - should I be worried?

Postby murraypaul » November 25th, 2022, 10:14 am

The genuine Land Registry emails (assuming the ones I'm getting are genuine :) ), are sent out every six months, and start...

Dear Your Name

Thank you for using the HM Land Registry's Property Alert service. This email contains a six month summary of the activity on your account.

I haven't received any other emails, or anything that seems related.

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » November 25th, 2022, 10:54 am

murraypaul wrote:The genuine Land Registry emails (assuming the ones I'm getting are genuine :) ), are sent out every six months, and start...

Dear Your Name

Thank you for using the HM Land Registry's Property Alert service. This email contains a six month summary of the activity on your account.

I haven't received any other emails, or anything that seems related.

Same here.

I have alerts on two properties and get nothing but their emails.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » November 25th, 2022, 11:03 am

Same here. I did get an alert, but from the LR. Mostly just a six-month summary.

Arb.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » November 25th, 2022, 11:19 am

They're a 'property services' website- get house prices, info on properties on the market in your area, job adverts, etc.

I suspect they were given your email from somewhere else as a "trusted associate" or whatever the term is.

Paul

yorkshirelad1
Lemon Slice

Postby yorkshirelad1 » December 9th, 2022, 10:29 am

I've just had one of the Land Reg alerts (slightly different from the 6 month summary, but a property that I have a watch on is being sold), and copy below the information that may be of use

Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2022 09:22:52 +0000
From: HM Land Registry <notifications@landregistry.gov.uk>
Subject: HM Land Registry Property Alert notification

On: 08.Dec.2022 At: 09:22:35

Customer reference: *****

HM Land Registry reference: *****

To protect a pending: Purchase

In favour of: *****

If you are unsure about any of the information provided in this alert, please contact the Property Alert Support team on 0300 006 0478 (Call charges may apply).

If you were not expecting this alert and the activity within it appears suspicious you should take action. You may find that you need to seek legal advice to decide on your next steps.

Possible next steps you may wish to take are:

Contact a solicitor, Citizens Advice or Action Fraud.

Fill in our fraud reporting form, available on our website (http://www.landregistry.gov.uk/contact-us/report-fraud) and we will call you back during office hours.

Contact our property fraud line on 0300 006 7030 (Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5pm).

HM Land Registry does not provide legal advice. Apart from procedural advice, we will not advise on what action to take, and we will not recommend a professional adviser but we can explain how to find one. Please see our advisory policy (http://www.landregistry.gov.uk/contact-us/advisory-policy) for further information.

If you require this notification in an alternative format please contact:

Property Alert Support team
propertyalert@landregistry.gov.uk
Helpline number: 0300 006 0478

Please do not reply to this email as it was sent from an account that cannot receive emails.

HM Land Registry’s purpose is to protect your land ownership and provide services and data that underpin an efficient and informed property market. Our vision is: “A world-leading property market as part of a thriving economy and a sustainable future”.

We check all mail and attachments for known viruses. However, you are advised that you open any attachments at your own risk. If you have received this email and it was not intended for you, please let us know, then delete it.

We welcome correspondence in English and Welsh.

To see how HM Land Registry treats your personal information, read our Personal information charter: http://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/land-registry/about/personal-information-charter.

Return to “Property Investment Discussions”