Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Paid debt, how to take off charge on House?

Covering Market, Trends, and Practical (but see LEMON-AID for Building & DIY)
trikz

Paid debt, how to take off charge on House?

Postby trikz » October 19th, 2023, 10:42 pm

Hi, I had borrowed some money from someone and he placed a charge on my property, fast forward 10 years and I have now paid off the debt.
How do I notify the Land registry and take the charge off?
thank you

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: Paid debt, how to take off charge on House?

Postby Itsallaguess » October 20th, 2023, 5:55 am

trikz wrote:
Hi, I had borrowed some money from someone and he placed a charge on my property, fast forward 10 years and I have now paid off the debt.

Welcome to The Lemon Fool.

Does this help?

Please note that the link below is regarding information for England and Wales -

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/fact-sheet-library/charging-orders-ew/

There's a section towards the bottom of that link that provides the following information -

Paying off a charging order -

If you pay off the amount you owe under the charging order, you can apply to the court for the order to be discharged. The amount you have to pay will include court fees and costs that have been added to the debt. Ask the court for a certificate of satisfaction on your CCJ and include evidence of payment. Creditors will usually inform the Land Registry that the debt has been paid so that the charging order can be removed from your property.

If you have enough equity in your home and you move house, the charging order will usually be paid off as part of the sale process. If you own the property jointly with someone else, but the CCJ is in your sole name, this may not happen automatically. Contact us for advice.

A creditor says you have not paid off the charging order -

The creditor may say there is interest outstanding on a CCJ. If the creditor disagrees that you have paid the charging order in full, contact us for advice.

Please note that the above NationalDebtLine site has a 'Web Chat' facility during working hours (towards the right of the following link, and available Monday to Friday 9am to 8pm and Saturdays 9.30am to 1pm), that may well help to provide additional information if the above link doesn't answer all of your questions -

https://nationaldebtline.org/contact-us/?utm_source=open&utm_medium=clicks&utm_campaign=webchat_clicks_other#webchat

If you'd prefer to speak to someone in person rather than use a Web Chat facility, then they also have a Freephone telephone number - 0808 808 4000

If you need to talk to the Land Registry, then they are available on 0844 892 1111, or via email - customersupport@landregistry.gov.uk

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

trikz

Postby trikz » October 20th, 2023, 11:11 pm

thank you for the reply and information.
Do you know if this can be done without the use of a solicitor? trying to save on any cost.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » October 21st, 2023, 5:44 am

trikz wrote:
thank you for the reply and information.

Do you know if this can be done without the use of a solicitor? trying to save on any cost.

I think you're probably best talking to the National Debt Line people discussed earlier, either by calling them on the Freephone number 0808 808 4000, or via the free web-chat facility linked below, which is available Monday to Friday 9am to 8pm and Saturdays 9.30am to 1pm -

https://nationaldebtline.org/contact-us/?utm_source=open&utm_medium=clicks&utm_campaign=webchat_clicks_other#webchat

Your situation is one that they are likely to advise on very regularly, and so I am sure they'll be able to answer all of your questions and help guide you towards a good resolution.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » October 24th, 2023, 4:29 pm

trikz wrote:Hi, I had borrowed some money from someone and he placed a charge on my property, fast forward 10 years and I have now paid off the debt.
thank you

Use a solicitor to get things right.

One of the answers above is re a CCJ, is this appropriate or did you merely mortgage the property to this individual to secure a loan?

Doing nothing is certainly a bad idea if dealing with an individual as he/she could drop dead tomorrow leaving you with severe problems.

Has the other party acknowledged in any way you have discharged your debt? Presume notification to the Land Registry may also be needed. (I am in Scotland where our system is different)

I do know that when we repaid our house mortgage in circa 2021 our solicitor needed to do a voluntary first registration of the property as we bought in 1997 before the LR was running up here, however the cost was not horrendous, couple hundred pounds or so plus vat plus outlays.

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » November 24th, 2023, 6:46 pm

trikz wrote:Hi, I had borrowed some money from someone and he placed a charge on my property, fast forward 10 years and I have now paid off the debt.
thank you

Sorry, I've only just seen your post, as I'm a very occasional visitor to this site.

All you need to do in order to remove notice of the charge is to have the lender complete a DS1 form - https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... enders-ds1 - and then send it to the Land Registry with an AP1 appication form - https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... gister-ap1

Itsallaguess wrote:Please note that the link below is regarding information for England and Wales -

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/fact-sheet-library/charging-orders-ew/

Itsallaguess

That guidance refers to a charging order, which a charge on the property imposed by the court, and is not relevant to a voluntarily imposed charge that's been registered by a lender.

Return to “Property Investment Discussions”