Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Moving to all Electric part 2

Making your money go further
taken2often
Lemon Slice

Moving to all Electric part 2

Postby taken2often » November 22nd, 2021, 5:46 pm

A full year has passed, but I am unable to give you a a figure of the running cost as Eon may still send me a bill for 7 months electricity. It seems that my year started in June 2021. What I can say is that when the Smart Meter was fitted I had little intention of consulting. I now rules my life. The summer months looked great cost wise until I switched on the heating. The most expensive room is the Lounge, when not in use the thermostats are at 10c. The room tends to be 14/15c. A day when the radiators run at 21c from 8am to 11pm with all the other bits and pieces the cost is between £10/12
the daily average is around £6.00 and the cold weather has not started yet. So it appears that my energy will cost about the same as duel fuel and maybe dearer. I can affor this but many could not.

Snorvey in my part one referred to an Air to Liquid heat pump. I think it was misinterpeted as Air source system transfering to liquid the standard system in fact I have come accross a different system called Thermodynamic Water Heating Panel. I have found two systems One has a tank with a refrigeration unit stuck on the side. The other I think more intersting has the unit working the existing water storage system. Both use the same Panel.
A Aluminium panel is attached to a wall. Best result South Facing but any wall would do. The refrigerant is pumped to the panel and depending on conditions may freeze. The air down to -10c will change the coolant back through the commpressor as heat. Works 24/7 no Servicing just like a fridge freezer. Ususally fitted in one day no great disruption. May be worth a look
Energy Saving Solutions or Little Magic Box the other Scottish Energy Saving co.uk

I had never heard of this before, be careful though as Double Glazing sales persons may be involved, but the system sound logical. It appears to be for hot water, but perhaps a second unit may give some basic central heating. No Noise may be a poential benefit. No idea if any grants available, but it is Air Sourced.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Re: Moving to all Electric part 2

Postby BullDog » November 23rd, 2021, 5:01 pm

Wow, £300 a month to heat one toom?

taken2often
Lemon Slice

Postby taken2often » November 26th, 2021, 12:39 pm

Thanks for your response. Just do this at the weekend. During the week when I use this room for about 2 hrs I switch the radiators from 10c to 21c. I also put on a 2kw fan heater for about one hour so that cost 38 pence but brings the comfort level up fast, rather than having the radiators on for about 4/5 hours. So think this is working as the weekly amount has been dropping, but the weather colder. These costs may be the straw that busts climate mania.

Bob

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » November 26th, 2021, 1:09 pm

taken2often wrote:These costs may be the straw that busts climate mania.

Bob

Can you expand on this?

I don't understand what you mean. First, what is "climate mania"? And second, the costs you quote seem specific to your strategy so I don’t see how this can be extrapolated to maake a general point about anything.

Thanks.

taken2often
Lemon Slice

Postby taken2often » November 27th, 2021, 11:48 am

Well The cost of fuel is far to high due to politicians world wide all wanting to claim they are going to save the world, and they are more than prepared to penalise the current population. They all pander to the fears of the minority. The majority in my opinion are to busy and apathetic to care to much. I include myself. It will only be when the majority realise the cost of this pandering will they turn on the politicians.

I am not saying that there is not a climate problem to address,but robbing the poor to pay the rich is not the way to go. The working poor are paying for the rich, Air Sourced Heat Pumps Grants. This is only one of the many ways that make the cost of energy high.

Bob

taken2often
Lemon Slice

Postby taken2often » December 6th, 2021, 4:16 pm

The last seven days up to Sunday night. Colder weather but still trying to be careful. Weekly cost £88.43. Two bedroom flat with high ceilings. If I did not have other income this would represent a very high percentage of my DWP pension say 40/50% I think I am in a Fuel Poverty situation.

Bob

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » December 6th, 2021, 5:23 pm

taken2often wrote:The last seven days up to Sunday night. Colder weather but still trying to be careful. Weekly cost £88.43. Two bedroom flat with high ceilings. If I did not have other income this would represent a very high percentage of my DWP pension say 40/50% I think I am in a Fuel Poverty situation.

Bob

I think, you are, yes. Sadly, it seems to me that the less fortunate in society are being forced increaingly to choose between heating or eating. With the incredibly influential green lobby we have now, I believe things are only going to head further in that direction short to medium term.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » December 6th, 2021, 5:41 pm

taken2often wrote:The last seven days up to Sunday night. Colder weather but still trying to be careful. Weekly cost £88.43. Two bedroom flat with high ceilings. If I did not have other income this would represent a very high percentage of my DWP pension say 40/50% I think I am in a Fuel Poverty situation.

Bob

This is desperately unfortunate. In your previous thread ISTR you being determined to ditch your gas boiler and switch to electric heating, despite advice to stick with gas.

Here's the thread, although I admit I haven't re-read it.
https://lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f ... 26#p384326

Your best course of action even at this stage is, in my opinion, to get another gas boiler installed Assuming your flat actually still has a gas supply.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » December 6th, 2021, 6:28 pm

taken2often wrote:The last seven days up to Sunday night. Colder weather but still trying to be careful. Weekly cost £88.43. Two bedroom flat with high ceilings.

That is awful - £12.60 a day!!! That is £10 a day more expensive than it costs me to heat a much larger property with gas.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » December 6th, 2021, 6:40 pm

AF62 wrote:
taken2often wrote:The last seven days up to Sunday night. Colder weather but still trying to be careful. Weekly cost £88.43. Two bedroom flat with high ceilings.

That is awful - £12.60 a day!!! That is £10 a day more expensive than it costs me to heat a much larger property with gas.

Indeed, it's tragic. Our grown children are each in city centre apartments and I have said that they should think about coming back home for a few days if the weather turns really cold. Such is the cost of heating two pretty modest apartments in really cold weather using electric space heating. One positive spin off from being able to work from home these days is having such flexibility. Disgraceful in the 21st century we have to even think like that, but the cost of electric space heating is getting so expensive.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » December 6th, 2021, 6:50 pm

BullDog wrote:Disgraceful in the 21st century we have to even think like that, but the cost of electric space heating is getting so expensive.

The government should be stepping in and making the installation of electric heating illegal…

Bminusrob
Lemon Slice

Postby Bminusrob » December 6th, 2021, 6:53 pm

Scary sums of money to heat a flat!

We live in a 5 bedroom house in (very windy) Devon. It is in desperate need on a new roof; one with some insulation to reduce the heating costs, and help save the planet. Unfortunately the building work has been delayed again. First, you can't replace a roof between May and September because there is the slightest possibility that bats may decide to take up residence, then problems with the builder. Fortunately, we took the plunge last year to get rid of the very expensive storage heaters (only in 4 rooms out of 12 anyway), and have oil fired central heating installed (while we still can).

With the storage heaters, plus additional electric heating, our electricity bill was £250 per month over the year. With the oil central heating, we have paid £1100 for a year's worth of oil, and the electricity bill is now £60 per month. For this money, we keep a lot more of the house heated, and save more or less £100 per month. It will be even better when we have an insulated roof.

We have Hive thermostats and Hive thermostatic radiator valves, so we have a great level of control over what we heat when.

The whole green agenda stuff at the moment is putting the cart before the horse. Where do they think the power is going to come from? I read at the weekend that we need the equivalent of another 20 Hinckley C sized power stations to provide the electricity we will need for heating and transport, and these power stations take a good 10 years to build. I hope my oil central heating will outlive me. God help the rest.

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » December 6th, 2021, 8:04 pm

Mike4 wrote:

Bob

This is desperately unfortunate. In your previous thread ISTR you being determined to ditch your gas boiler and switch to electric heating, despite advice to stick with gas.

Your best course of action even at this stage is, in my opinion, to get another gas boiler installed Assuming your flat actually still has a gas supply.

I'm struggling to understand how the OP's electrical bills have risen from £29 per month in July to c£380 per month in December, less than half a year later.

Is the OP perhaps mixing up his weeks and months, and therefore not really in Fuel Poverty as he fears?

GS

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » December 6th, 2021, 9:19 pm

GoSeigen wrote:
Mike4 wrote:

Bob

I'm struggling to understand how the OP's electrical bills have risen from £29 per month in July to c£380 per month in December, less than half a year later.

Is the OP perhaps mixing up his weeks and months, and therefore not really in Fuel Poverty as he fears?

GS

I think he removed his gas central heating heating system in favour of electric heating, as explained in the thread I linked.

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » December 7th, 2021, 12:13 pm

Mike4 wrote:
GoSeigen wrote:
Mike4 wrote:

GS

I think he removed his gas central heating heating system in favour of electric heating, as explained in the thread I linked.

He'd already done that in the post I linked to.

GS

taken2often
Lemon Slice

Postby taken2often » December 7th, 2021, 10:29 pm

Thanks for responding. The boiler was over 20 years old. I live in Scotland and at the time the SNP made it very clear that they were going to do away with the burning of all fossil fuel. So I made the change and I am very happy with the equipment I fitted. I had a very good Tariff with Eon but they were weird. Their estimate for a 2 bedroom flat was £42 per Month but their system could not accept my meter readings and reduced it to £29. Even now with readings from my new Smart Meter fitted 3rd June they recently changed the monthly rate to £60.00 per month. It may be that they are having problems reading the Smart Meter as I have to keep giving them readings. Perhaps their computer cannot believe them. Now I have to say that the meter was made in Romania and the boys and girls in the factory could be having some fun at my expense, but thats pushing it. Saying that I recently bought a bathroom cabinet from B&Q and it had a number of faults that could not have occured on a production line. It came from abroad. I managed to figure out how to fix the problems. B& Q said they had never heard of any problems with this unit. I think it was perhaps a Brexit special.

The previous system for gas and electricity would have been £165 per month but that was before our current pricing problems. Eon did offer the best renewal but quite a bit dearer, maybe change once things settle down.

All this was before he concept of 20% Hydrogen in the gas going to an unbelievable 100% in due which will keep the national Pipe Grid in operation and allow gas boilers to continue for ever.

By the way all the radiators are set to keep the property around 14c minimum

Bob

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » December 8th, 2021, 2:24 am

taken2often wrote:Thanks for responding. The boiler was over 20 years old. I live in Scotland and at the time the SNP made it very clear that they were going to do away with the burning of all fossil fuel. So I made the change and I am very happy with the equipment I fitted. I had a very good Tariff with Eon but they were weird. Their estimate for a 2 bedroom flat was £42 per Month but their system could not accept my meter readings and reduced it to £29. Even now with readings from my new Smart Meter fitted 3rd June they recently changed the monthly rate to £60.00 per month. It may be that they are having problems reading the Smart Meter as I have to keep giving them readings. Perhaps their computer cannot believe them. Now I have to say that the meter was made in Romania and the boys and girls in the factory could be having some fun at my expense, but thats pushing it. Saying that I recently bought a bathroom cabinet from B&Q and it had a number of faults that could not have occured on a production line. It came from abroad. I managed to figure out how to fix the problems. B& Q said they had never heard of any problems with this unit. I think it was perhaps a Brexit special.

The previous system for gas and electricity would have been £165 per month but that was before our current pricing problems. Eon did offer the best renewal but quite a bit dearer, maybe change once things settle down.

All this was before he concept of 20% Hydrogen in the gas going to an unbelievable 100% in due which will keep the national Pipe Grid in operation and allow gas boilers to continue for ever.

By the way all the radiators are set to keep the property around 14c minimum

Bob

It might be good to get in the habit of looking at "usage" rather than "cost"
- especially if you ever need to compare offerings between suppliers or tarrifs (which could fluctuate during the day)

It will make things less opaque and might allow you to treat the questions of the amount of energy you consume and how you pay for it independently

-sd

taken2often
Lemon Slice

Postby taken2often » December 12th, 2021, 11:47 pm

Had someone staying for a few day so had to crank up the temp 7 Days cost £118.33. Getting over the shock. Eat out four times a week average cost around £40.00 so £16/17 per daynot the end of the world.

Bob

Return to “Living Below Your Means”