Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to tea42,yyuryyub,Howyoudoin,Anonymous,EverybodyKnows, for Donating to support the site

Scottish Power calls for £1000 support for energy bills.

Making your money go further
XFool
Lemon Half
Posts: 8777
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 7:21 pm
Been thanked: 1277 times

Re: Scottish Power calls for £1000 support for energy bills.

#499921

Postby XFool » May 11th, 2022, 6:16 pm

pje16 wrote:
staffordian wrote:But at least they only had one option as far as supplier was concerned :)

Having one supplier is a bad thing
those who shop around get better deals than those who don't ;)

Yeah! That worked out well, didn't it?

pje16
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3098
Joined: May 30th, 2021, 6:01 pm
Has thanked: 830 times
Been thanked: 908 times

Re: Scottish Power calls for £1000 support for energy bills.

#499932

Postby pje16 » May 11th, 2022, 7:04 pm

it has for me :lol:

Dod101
The full Lemon
Posts: 11379
Joined: October 10th, 2017, 11:33 am
Has thanked: 2694 times
Been thanked: 4993 times

Re: Scottish Power calls for £1000 support for energy bills.

#499943

Postby Dod101 » May 11th, 2022, 8:19 pm

pje16 wrote:
staffordian wrote:But at least they only had one option as far as supplier was concerned :)

Having one supplier is a bad thing
those who shop around get better deals than those who don't ;)


And of course all of us are helping to pay out for that all going wrong

Dod

swill453
Lemon Half
Posts: 6537
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 6:11 pm
Has thanked: 728 times
Been thanked: 2549 times

Re: Scottish Power calls for £1000 support for energy bills.

#499952

Postby swill453 » May 11th, 2022, 9:09 pm

I just moved house and the previous occupants seemed to like fancy light fittings, but didn't seem to care much about electricity consumption. I've just spend £65 replacing:

- 21 40W G9 halogens
- 6 46W E14 incandescents
- 6 50W GU10 halogens

House seems colder now :-)

Scott.

Dod101
The full Lemon
Posts: 11379
Joined: October 10th, 2017, 11:33 am
Has thanked: 2694 times
Been thanked: 4993 times

Re: Scottish Power calls for £1000 support for energy bills.

#499981

Postby Dod101 » May 12th, 2022, 6:24 am

swill453 wrote:I just moved house and the previous occupants seemed to like fancy light fittings, but didn't seem to care much about electricity consumption. I've just spend £65 replacing:

- 21 40W G9 halogens
- 6 46W E14 incandescents
- 6 50W GU10 halogens

House seems colder now :-)

Scott.

You should I think recover your £65 off your first quarterly bill, or at least quite soon. As you know you will be using about 10% of the electricity. This is the sort of thing we all need to be doing. I am still guilty with some old style outside lighting which will be my next task before next winter.

Dod

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half
Posts: 8185
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 8:17 pm
Has thanked: 1150 times
Been thanked: 2052 times

Re: Scottish Power calls for £1000 support for energy bills.

#500015

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 12th, 2022, 9:30 am

Dod101 wrote:
swill453 wrote:I just moved house and the previous occupants seemed to like fancy light fittings, but didn't seem to care much about electricity consumption. I've just spend £65 replacing:

- 21 40W G9 halogens
- 6 46W E14 incandescents
- 6 50W GU10 halogens

House seems colder now :-)

Scott.

You should I think recover your £65 off your first quarterly bill, or at least quite soon. As you know you will be using about 10% of the electricity. This is the sort of thing we all need to be doing. I am still guilty with some old style outside lighting which will be my next task before next winter.

Dod


I replaced a lot of light bulbs here. All from 50W halogens, replacements ranging from 2.6W LEDs in the hallway and landing (where the 4W I first tried proved too bright - those turned out right for the home office in the attic) to 7W in the kitchen, where they're much brighter than the halogens and just about enough to cook with.

I've also still got a lot of the halogens. In the bedrooms and living room, where ceiling lights only ever get used for a couple of minutes in a day, so it really doesn't matter.

CliffEdge
Lemon Slice
Posts: 314
Joined: July 25th, 2018, 9:56 am
Has thanked: 92 times
Been thanked: 93 times

Re: Scottish Power calls for £1000 support for energy bills.

#500374

Postby CliffEdge » May 14th, 2022, 8:35 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:That was before bloomin' standing charges came to dominate the bill and actual usage became marginal to it.

Scandalous standing charges

staffordian
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1896
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 4:20 pm
Has thanked: 1278 times
Been thanked: 613 times

Re: Scottish Power calls for £1000 support for energy bills.

#500379

Postby staffordian » May 14th, 2022, 8:58 am

CliffEdge wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:That was before bloomin' standing charges came to dominate the bill and actual usage became marginal to it.

Scandalous standing charges

Agree.

It's now increaingly another hidden tax rather than a charge to cover distribution and similar costs, which it started as.

pje16
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3098
Joined: May 30th, 2021, 6:01 pm
Has thanked: 830 times
Been thanked: 908 times

Re: Scottish Power calls for £1000 support for energy bills.

#500381

Postby pje16 » May 14th, 2022, 9:14 am

staffordian wrote:It's now increaingly another hidden tax rather than a charge to cover distribution and similar costs, which it started as.

While I agree thay have gone up a lot they are not in fact hidden, they are quite clearly stated on your bill

scotview
Lemon Slice
Posts: 360
Joined: November 5th, 2016, 9:00 am
Has thanked: 198 times
Been thanked: 257 times

Re: Scottish Power calls for £1000 support for energy bills.

#500386

Postby scotview » May 14th, 2022, 9:27 am

pje16 wrote:While I agree thay have gone up a lot they are not in fact hidden, they are quite clearly stated on your bill

Yes, but what are they for ?

Gersemi
Lemon Slice
Posts: 349
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 3:57 pm
Has thanked: 415 times
Been thanked: 143 times

Re: Scottish Power calls for £1000 support for energy bills.

#500397

Postby Gersemi » May 14th, 2022, 9:56 am

scotview wrote:
pje16 wrote:While I agree thay have gone up a lot they are not in fact hidden, they are quite clearly stated on your bill

Yes, but what are they for ?


As I understand it at least part is to cover the costs of energy companies taking on the customers of companies that have gone bust. In the current climate the new company makes a loss on those new customers due to the energy cap (this is why there are pratically no deals to switch supplier available at the moment, they just don't want new customers), so they have to be bribed to take them on.

CliffEdge
Lemon Slice
Posts: 314
Joined: July 25th, 2018, 9:56 am
Has thanked: 92 times
Been thanked: 93 times

Re: Scottish Power calls for £1000 support for energy bills.

#500400

Postby CliffEdge » May 14th, 2022, 10:18 am

Gersemi wrote:
scotview wrote:
pje16 wrote:While I agree thay have gone up a lot they are not in fact hidden, they are quite clearly stated on your bill

Yes, but what are they for ?


As I understand it at least part is to cover the costs of energy companies taking on the customers of companies that have gone bust. In the current climate the new company makes a loss on those new customers due to the energy cap (this is why there are pratically no deals to switch supplier available at the moment, they just don't want new customers), so they have to be bribed to take them on.

So they'll eventually be reduced? Is that a pig I just saw fly past. Just about everything we hear nowadays is a lie.

pje16
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3098
Joined: May 30th, 2021, 6:01 pm
Has thanked: 830 times
Been thanked: 908 times

Re: Scottish Power calls for £1000 support for energy bills.

#500404

Postby pje16 » May 14th, 2022, 10:25 am

Who said anything about reduction?
I think you just launached your own flying pig :lol:

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half
Posts: 8185
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 8:17 pm
Has thanked: 1150 times
Been thanked: 2052 times

Re: Scottish Power calls for £1000 support for energy bills.

#500418

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 14th, 2022, 11:23 am

Gersemi wrote:
scotview wrote:
pje16 wrote:While I agree thay have gone up a lot they are not in fact hidden, they are quite clearly stated on your bill

Yes, but what are they for ?


As I understand it at least part is to cover the costs of energy companies taking on the customers of companies that have gone bust. In the current climate the new company makes a loss on those new customers due to the energy cap (this is why there are pratically no deals to switch supplier available at the moment, they just don't want new customers), so they have to be bribed to take them on.


And come to that, why the wide regional variation? Pretty regressive when poor rural oiks get charged 50% more than London and the affluent southeast!

pje16
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3098
Joined: May 30th, 2021, 6:01 pm
Has thanked: 830 times
Been thanked: 908 times

Re: Scottish Power calls for £1000 support for energy bills.

#500419

Postby pje16 » May 14th, 2022, 11:30 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:And come to that, why the wide regional variation? Pretty regressive when poor rural oiks get charged 50% more than London and the affluent southeast!

I am in postcode NW London and get charged on the Eastern tariff, Why is that ? :roll:
7p a day different to the London tariff
well that's £25 a year that's better being in my pocket than theirs

staffordian
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1896
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 4:20 pm
Has thanked: 1278 times
Been thanked: 613 times

Re: Scottish Power calls for £1000 support for energy bills.

#500431

Postby staffordian » May 14th, 2022, 12:09 pm

pje16 wrote:
staffordian wrote:It's now increaingly another hidden tax rather than a charge to cover distribution and similar costs, which it started as.

While I agree thay have gone up a lot they are not in fact hidden, they are quite clearly stated on your bill

Agreed, but they are more a levy now rather than a standing charge to cover standing supply costs.

Would be far more honest to itemise the levy as green supplement, bankrupcy charges etc and show the far lower standing charge separately.

pje16
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3098
Joined: May 30th, 2021, 6:01 pm
Has thanked: 830 times
Been thanked: 908 times

Re: Scottish Power calls for £1000 support for energy bills.

#500438

Postby pje16 » May 14th, 2022, 12:40 pm

Agreed with that too
more clarity would help and explain why they have gone up so much (perhaps that is why they just call it daily rate)
and that may have been what you meant by hidden
cheers

servodude
Lemon Half
Posts: 5052
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 5:56 am
Has thanked: 2326 times
Been thanked: 1731 times

Re: Scottish Power calls for £1000 support for energy bills.

#500445

Postby servodude » May 14th, 2022, 1:07 pm

pje16 wrote:Agreed with that too
more clarity would help and explain why they have gone up so much (perhaps that is why they just call it daily rate)
and that may have been what you meant by hidden
cheers


Do you think that should extend to cost & profit/margin?
It's been a messed up market for decades

88V8
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3305
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:22 am
Has thanked: 1278 times
Been thanked: 1272 times

Re: Scottish Power calls for £1000 support for energy bills.

#500457

Postby 88V8 » May 14th, 2022, 2:43 pm

servodude wrote:Do you think that should extend to cost & profit/margin?
It's been a messed up market for decades

What if it were still the CEGB and the regional Boards?
Worse?... unions, overmanning... or better?

If it were still govt-run the politicos would be in the firing line as regards prices; by privatising they offshored the responsibility.... but then couldn't resist interfering via the domestic price cap which has put the politicos back in the firing line.
What a shower.

V8

AF62
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2348
Joined: November 27th, 2016, 8:45 am
Has thanked: 45 times
Been thanked: 768 times

Re: Scottish Power calls for £1000 support for energy bills.

#500463

Postby AF62 » May 14th, 2022, 3:12 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:And come to that, why the wide regional variation?


A slightly old (and very lengthy) document that explains why - https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/sites/default/ ... r_2015.pdf


Return to “Living Below Your Means”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Feedfetcher and 3 guests