Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Cheap payg phone tariff

Making your money go further
NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Re: Cheap payg phone tariff

Postby NomoneyNohoney » February 2nd, 2023, 8:15 am

https://www.rwgmobile.wales/

"FREE Credit February! Take out or upgrade any monthly subscription in February and receive £10 FREE Credit on your account. Cancel subscription at any time. Website only.

We promise - fixed prices until the end of 2023! Applies to Pay-as-you-go, paid bundles and all UK rates only until 31 Dec 2023. Excludes roaming and international rates

Straightforward pay-as-you-go (Just top-up and go; your credit won't expire!)

Pay monthly SIM deals from £2 per month!

Just go roam (we still have EU Roaming :)"

Thought it might be of interest to some of you folks...

smokey01
Lemon Pip

Postby smokey01 » February 4th, 2023, 9:16 am

NomoneyNohoney wrote:https://www.rwgmobile.wales/

"FREE Credit February! Take out or upgrade any monthly subscription in February and receive £10 FREE Credit on your account. Cancel subscription at any time. Website only.

We promise - fixed prices until the end of 2023! Applies to Pay-as-you-go, paid bundles and all UK rates only until 31 Dec 2023. Excludes roaming and international rates

Straightforward pay-as-you-go (Just top-up and go; your credit won't expire!)

Pay monthly SIM deals from £2 per month!

Just go roam (we still have EU Roaming :)"

Thought it might be of interest to some of you folks...

I am with RWG and tried to take out a monthly subscription and pay using credit on my account but was told I couldn’t I.e. monthly subscriptions need to be paid by debit/credit card so I didn’t bother as I can’t see when I would have the opportunity to use up my existing credit balance as my normal ‘free’ monthly bundle usually meets my needs.

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » February 16th, 2023, 6:58 pm

I was chatting with a friend who wanted an emergency sim, and mentioned RWG's tariff where you pay £15 and you get a free monthly calls and data allowance every month, and unless you exceed your free allowance, your £15 deposit is untouched. Couldn't see this mentioned on RWG's site, so emailed and got told it isn't available at present, although they still have a free £10.00 credit running this month. Just FYI.

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » February 28th, 2023, 5:12 pm

NomoneyNohoney wrote:I was chatting with a friend who wanted an emergency sim, and mentioned RWG's tariff where you pay £15 and you get a free monthly calls and data allowance every month, and unless you exceed your free allowance, your £15 deposit is untouched. Couldn't see this mentioned on RWG's site, so emailed and got told it isn't available at present, although they still have a free £10.00 credit running this month. Just FYI.

They've just launched this:

https://www.rwgmobile.wales/webshop/off ... ff-charge/

which is similar, though only lasts a year.

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » February 28th, 2023, 5:44 pm

That's £20.00, they are also offering 2 years for £35.00.

Now its getting complicated comparing things: for example their £2.00/month TEASER offers:-

MINS: 100
SMS: 100
DATA: 750MB
Total cost £24.00

That 1 year SIM offers for £20.00 upfront, ie, £1.67 / month:
MINS: 250
SMS: 250
DATA : 2 GB

That 2 year SIM offers for £35.00 upfront, ie, £1.46 / month:
MINS: 250
SMS: 250
DATA : 2 GB

You pays yer money, you takes yer choice.
Good spot Stompa!

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » June 10th, 2023, 1:13 pm

I've just noticed this thread:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/di ... -top-up/p1

over on MSE, which suggests that O2 have now introduced this requirement:

"If you don't top up, or add a Bolt On at least once in any six month period, your mobile will be disconnected and you'll lose any credit on your account. If you want to be reconnected you'll be given a new mobile number."

for newer users of it's Classic PAYG SIMs. It's not entirely obvious which particular customers are affected by this.

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » June 11th, 2023, 12:14 am

Well spotted that man!

To quote from O2:-
Please note, this tariff is no longer available to existing customers wishing to switch to the tariff. If you are not already on this tariff you will not be able to switch to it. See our Pay As You Go sim deals.
Classic Pay As You Go

With Classic Pay As You Go, you pay for what you use, as you go. The minimum top up requirement is £10.

If you don't top up, or add a Bolt On at least once in any six month period, your mobile will be disconnected and you'll lose any credit on your account. If you want to be reconnected you'll be given a new mobile number."

It seems to me that one of these will be needed once every six months:-

"Snacking One Off Data Bolt Ons

Web Daily:

£1 one off payment for 50MB of data to use today.
To get the Web Daily Bolt On, call 2202 free from your O2 phone, or text WEBDAILY to 21300 for free."

I think I'll splurge £3.00 for the 3 x active sims we have, just to be safe.

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » June 11th, 2023, 7:46 am

thanks everyone number for the info that O2 now demanding a top up every 6 months or lose

its a shame they dont tell their customers.......I have made a diary note...will keep fingers crossed

ASDA did this and they also didnt tell customers...so I lost my long held number there
at least they refunded my crdiit albeit with a ASDA voucher...buut we have to eat so,,,!

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » June 15th, 2023, 3:08 pm

I've been away doing a bit of investigating, with the good people on the O2 forum. Someone else posted that they'd read on MSE they'd be cut-off if they didn't top-up once every 6 months as confirmed by O2 customer services. They got the reply back, that the top up requirement is for big bundle tariffs.

I asked for repeat confirmation, and today was told (by a contributor voted Most Knowledgeable Member in 2018!):-

On the classic PAYG you need to make a call at least once every 6 months. A top up is required at least once every 999 days.
No other activity is acceptable - it must be a chargeable call too, ie, no freephone numbers.
On Bundle tariffs you need to top up to make a call as bundles only last for 30 days, hence the requirement is to top up at least once every 6 months to be able to make a call.

Panic over I hope.

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » June 15th, 2023, 3:38 pm

NomoneyNohoney wrote:I've been away doing a bit of investigating, with the good people on the O2 forum. Someone else posted that they'd read on MSE they'd be cut-off if they didn't top-up once every 6 months as confirmed by O2 customer services. They got the reply back, that the top up requirement is for big bundle tariffs.

I asked for repeat confirmation, and today was told (by a contributor voted Most Knowledgeable Member in 2018!):-

On the classic PAYG you need to make a call at least once every 6 months. A top up is required at least once every 999 days.
No other activity is acceptable - it must be a chargeable call too, ie, no freephone numbers.
On Bundle tariffs you need to top up to make a call as bundles only last for 30 days, hence the requirement is to top up at least once every 6 months to be able to make a call.

Panic over I hope.

Yes , I've had scout around over there too. Somebody made the point that it does indeed have to be a chargeable call and that a chargeable text message (which is what I've been doing periodically) is not sufficient. I also saw the 999 days mentioned, though I've been unable to find a T&Cs anywhere that actually mentions that number.

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » November 23rd, 2023, 2:17 am

Just a reminder that on eBay, you can still buy O2 Classic SIM cards for 20p - 99p, with some Black Friday deals too. Most sims still have at least 6 months validity before they must be activated, and as I've said before:-

3p/minute for calls, 2p/text and 1p/mB data and 10% refund on top ups.

I've already had a close shave with RWG mobile suspending a sim, because I didn't make a chargeable call in 6 months on emergency phone, whilst I find O2 signal and services bang on

Just sayin' ... Again!

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » November 23rd, 2023, 7:42 am

I am still using 1p Mobile:

https://www.1pmobile.com/

It suites me very well. It works out to £2.50 per month and unused credit is carried over. EE network.

Return to “Living Below Your Means”