Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Fast Fibre Broadband

Making your money go further
BusyBumbleBee
Lemon Slice

Re: Fast Fibre Broadband

Postby BusyBumbleBee » August 7th, 2019, 4:30 pm

supremetwo wrote:If your line is good enough, there is a similar deal for super fibre ~ 63Mbps

thanks, Slarti and supremetwo for your thoughtful answers. My offer though is for 300 or 600 mbits per second both ways (down and up) using a totally new system of end to end fibre - right to my door and into the house. It does not have any common parts with the existing system because it is totally new infrastructure. I could (for a much larger sum) go up to 1000 mbits/sec. with kind regards - BBB

P.S. I have now signed on he dotted line cos it seems a no-brainer with immense savings and far, far better speeds - now have to find a way to use them

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Postby supremetwo » August 7th, 2019, 7:02 pm

BusyBumbleBee wrote:
supremetwo wrote:If your line is good enough, there is a similar deal for super fibre ~ 63Mbps

thanks, Slarti and supremetwo for your thoughtful answers. My offer though is for 300 or 600 mbits per second both ways (down and up) using a totally new system of end to end fibre - right to my door and into the house. It does not have any common parts with the existing system because it is totally new infrastructure. I could (for a much larger sum) go up to 1000 mbits/sec. with kind regards - BBB

P.S. I have now signed on he dotted line cos it seems a no-brainer with immense savings and far, far better speeds - now have to find a way to use them

In your first post:- A new enterprise is - provided there is enough commitment - going to install a full fibre network right to the house and will make the following charges:

To me, this seems a bit vague.

When will they know that they have enough customers and how long will it take once that has been established?
Planning permissions required?

If it is likely to take a year or so, you can save over £800 meanwhile by switching to NOW from your £86 per month BT package.

BusyBumbleBee
Lemon Slice

Postby BusyBumbleBee » August 7th, 2019, 7:35 pm

supremetwo wrote:In your first post:- A new enterprise is - provided there is enough commitment - going to install a full fibre network right to the house and will make the following charges:

To me, this seems a bit vague. ... When will they know that they have enough customers and how long will it take once that has been established? ... Planning permissions required? ... If it is likely to take a year or so, you can save over £800 meanwhile by switching to NOW from your £86 per month BT package.

Sorry if it sounds vague - tried to keep it short but clear. They will proceed to the next stage if they have 135 commitments by the end of September. Installation should start next Spring and planning permission is not needed for most if not all of the installation. Some traffic control orders may be needed if they have to dig up some roads but they are planning to go mostly overhead.

It is qualitatively different to the existing system so it is worth making the change and there is just one supplier for everything. Others you suggest - which are undoubtedly/probably cheaper - still use the BT infrastructure. For a variety of reasons I would not knowingly use anything provided by Sky

with kind regards - BBB

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » August 7th, 2019, 8:01 pm

When you ran BTOR's broadband availability checker, there should have been a line in the table of "FTTP on Demand". If it shows WBC FTTP Availability Date as 'Available' , it might be worth asking BT themselves for a quote just for comparison.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » August 8th, 2019, 5:58 pm

BusyBumbleBee wrote:P.S. I have now signed on he dotted line cos it seems a no-brainer with immense savings and far, far better speeds - now have to find a way to use them

We've been getting "Internet in your village is going to get much faster!" letters here, but as I don't stress the bandwidth that I've already got and the monthly cost would be about the same as I am paying PlusNet, I don't see the point in changing.

Oh, and I wouldn't be able to use my router, I'd have to use theirs, which from the spec they sent to me when I asked. would be a downgrade - only one wifi network whereas at the moment I have 3 set up.

Slarti

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » August 8th, 2019, 6:57 pm

BusyBumbleBee wrote:IIn theory I am on "Superfast Fibre 2 Unlimited" from BT but get upload : 47 Mbps and download 12 Mbps. Cost £56 per month plus about £20 for calls to mobiles so £86 per month all in.

That is your problem!

I am also on Superfast Fibre Unlimited from BT (67Mb down and 10Mb up - and those speeds are achieved) for which they charge me £23.99 a month (for both broadband and line rental), but as I pay upfront for the line saver and they gave me a £150 gift card when I took out the 18 month contract, it will work out substantially less.

As for calls to mobiles - why on earth are you using a BT line! You can get a cheap mobile contract for £5 which will give you a vast amount of minutes to call mobiles.

Now that is not saying the offer you have had is bad, but really you need to be comparing like with like. To put it bluntly, BT are screwing you over at the moment and if you intend staying with them then you need to have serious words.

As for the speeds you get (I assume they are the wrong way around) at 47Mb down and 12Mbs up - do you actually need anything faster?

BusyBumbleBee
Lemon Slice

Postby BusyBumbleBee » August 9th, 2019, 2:34 pm

Answers in text like {- -}
AF62 wrote:
BusyBumbleBee wrote:IIn theory I am on "Superfast Fibre 2 Unlimited" from BT but get upload : 47 Mbps and download 12 Mbps {- wrong way round -}. Cost £56 per month plus about £20 for calls to mobiles so £86 per month all in.

That is your problem! {- I know -}

I am also on Superfast Fibre Unlimited from BT (67Mb down and 10Mb up - and those speeds are achieved) for which they charge me £23.99 a month (for both broadband and line rental), but as I pay upfront for the line saver and they gave me a £150 gift card when I took out the 18 month contract, it will work out substantially less.{- well done - gives me something to aim for -}

As for calls to mobiles - why on earth are you using a BT line! You can get a cheap mobile contract for £5 which will give you a vast amount of minutes to call mobiles.{- we are in what is almost a not spot i.e. sometimes we get a weak signal but mostly none at all on most networks but also they are fiddly things to use and very intrusive - and the wife absolutely hates them -}

Now that is not saying the offer you have had is bad, but really you need to be comparing like with like{- WHY? I don't compare my Suffolk Punch with my tractor although they can both plough and till the soil but one does it much faster and has extra facilities e.g. hydraulics and a PTO -}. To put it bluntly, BT are screwing you over at the moment {- agreed they are trying to -}and if you intend staying with them {- I don't -} then you need to have serious words.

As for the speeds you get (I assume they are the wrong way around {- Agreed -}) at 47Mb down and 12Mbs up - do you actually need anything faster?{- I really don't need the twin engines in my car, nor its incredible acceleration nor its top speed of 160 mph it but it does help keep me out of trouble sometimes -}

To be honest - I don't even really need broadband - cos I handle mostly data that would happily travel over a modem Like a lot of things we use today its nice to have though. If we always compared like with like we would still be walking everywhere and hunting and gathering our food.

Anyway, this board used to be very lively on the Motley Fool - I try to put things here to get the board moving and to spread ideas so your reply is much appreciated - with kind regards - BBB

xeny
Lemon Slice

Postby xeny » August 10th, 2019, 11:52 am

BusyBumbleBee wrote:To be honest - I don't even really need broadband - cos I handle mostly data that would happily travel over a modem Like a lot of things we use today its nice to have though. If we always compared like with like we would still be walking everywhere and hunting and gathering our food.

You may not need broadband for data you directly deal with. Unfortunately, operating system updates now for either MacOS or Windows (Linux is somewhat better) are large enough that dealing with them over dial up bandwidths would be an exercise in extreme patience.

BusyBumbleBee
Lemon Slice

Postby BusyBumbleBee » August 10th, 2019, 2:38 pm

xeny wrote:You may not need broadband for data you directly deal with. Unfortunately, operating system updates now for either MacOS or Windows (Linux is somewhat better) are large enough that dealing with them over dial up bandwidths would be an exercise in extreme patience.
;) Over the years and many iterations I have found any interaction with Windows an exercise in extreme patience but take your point

Return to “Living Below Your Means”