Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

False discounts

Making your money go further
vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

False discounts

Postby vrdiver » September 24th, 2019, 9:49 am

I use cashback sites like topcashback.co.uk* Quidco etc. to get a small discount on various retailers when I am going to make a purchase, but have noticed recently that the price offered when going via the link on the discount site is pretty close, after the cashback has been refunded, to the price offered when going directly to the retailer's website.

Since cashback is not guaranteed and in most cases takes months to be payable, it now seems to be a negative outcome, rather than a nice-little-earner. Add in the number of times that I am duplicating my purchase work (I value my time) and cashback just doesn't seem to be worth bothering with any more.

Are other lemons experiencing the same?

VRD

*No relationship except as a previously satisfied customer...

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Re: False discounts

Postby Stompa » September 24th, 2019, 11:16 am

Yes, it's not a new phenomenon though, for example:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/sh ... ?t=4007309

elkay
Lemon Slice

Postby elkay » September 24th, 2019, 1:43 pm

I've seen this before in a few circumstances. The one that stood out was car hire. I always compare prices through Quidco with prices through an incognito browser session, and also taking into voucher/discount codes in the incognito session.

Occasionally it is possible to "stack" the discounts, by
- going to the website via quidco, to enable it to be tracked
- in the separate incognito browser session, copying the url of the discounted item
- pasting the url in to the address bar in the browser that has the quidco-linked page.
Very occasionally you do get the discounted price being retained in the Quidco session. But it is rare.

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » September 24th, 2019, 1:45 pm

Airport car parking - the biggest culprits I've found so far. Direct prices are always cheaper than via a cashback site.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » September 24th, 2019, 3:45 pm

pochisoldi wrote:Airport car parking - the biggest culprits I've found so far. Direct prices are always cheaper than via a cashback site.

I recently needed to book airport parking at Stansted. I checked the price direct - £85 then clicked on the 'send me some offers' link on their website and then when I clicked on that took the price to £75. However checking a couple of third party sites they were offering the same on-airport official car park for around £65.

Recalling seeing a price guarantee on the official Stansted airport site I called them back - "sorry we don't price match discounts" was the response - yes I didn't get it either.

And the real amusement - the two third party sites were companies owned by Manchester Airports Group, the owner of Stansted airport.

An email to MAGs CEO prompted a phone call with a "don't know why that happened" but would you like a big discount as an apology.

But the learning point for me was before thinking that someone is a third party reseller, just check.

Return to “Living Below Your Means”