Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Face masks

Making your money go further
Fluke
Lemon Slice

Face masks

Postby Fluke » July 14th, 2020, 7:19 am

What type? where from? how much?

swill453
Lemon Half

Re: Face masks

Postby swill453 » July 14th, 2020, 7:26 am

I use a buff/neckwarmer thing that I've always carried in my rucksack for hillwalking. Easy to have round the neck in the street, and simply pull up over mouth and nose when you go in a shop.

I find it has less tendancy to steam up glasses than an actual mask.

Scott.

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » July 14th, 2020, 7:31 am

boots or superdrug sell boxes of 50 for £30

its a fair bet they might have a 'run' on them soon!!

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » July 14th, 2020, 7:36 am

swill453 wrote:I use a buff/neckwarmer thing that I've always carried in my rucksack for hillwalking. Easy to have round the neck in the street, and simply pull up over mouth and nose when you go in a shop.

Scott.

============================

these are also called SNOODS .

i find them very good .

but would they be officially recognised as a face mask ?

:?:

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » July 14th, 2020, 7:48 am

Wife's nylons pulled over the head, like an old time bank robber?

More seriously, I bought a washable one but I've only worn it once and that was on a hospital visit, then when I wanted to take it off later, I realised what the experts were saying about how they can make things worse not better. You've got this "thing" potentially full of covid to deal with... if people do not adhere to the correct procedure, we have another way of spreading it to other surfaces.

Otherwise, I'm not into virtue signalling and out in the country it seems to me that people are not wearing them much at present. Based on my local village shops, almost no "oh, and BTW, one wears them, which makes this percentage of 36% wearing them difficult to believe TBH.

I'm sure we will all comply soon, but I find it amusing how we've moved from "We don't think they make any difference" to at the weekend "it's a matter of choice" to yesterday "eventually we might bring in a law" to this morning "Oh, and BTW did we mention? - you'll all have to wear them from the 24th July"

Arb

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » July 14th, 2020, 7:58 am

jackdaww wrote:these are also called SNOODS .

i find them very good .

The rule in Scotland is very specifically "face coverings" and not "masks". Is England, late to the party, going to be different?

Scott.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » July 14th, 2020, 8:01 am

Arborbridge wrote:Otherwise, I'm not into virtue signalling and out in the country it seems to me that people are not wearing them much at present. Based on my local village shops, almost no "oh, and BTW, one wears them, which makes this percentage of 36% wearing them difficult to believe TBH.

In Scotland I'd say the compliance went from about 25% to about 99% when it changed from advice to law. And that's without any visible enforcement.

Scott.

Bubblesofearth
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bubblesofearth » July 14th, 2020, 8:18 am

Arborbridge wrote:
More seriously, I bought a washable one but I've only worn it once and that was on a hospital visit, then when I wanted to take it off later, I realised what the experts were saying about how they can make things worse not better. You've got this "thing" potentially full of covid to deal with... if people do not adhere to the correct procedure, we have another way of spreading it to other surfaces.

Arb

Wearing a mask is not primarily about protecting you but rather protecting others. They are a good idea because asymptomatic people are infectious.

It's fascinating how such a simple point seems to be so difficult for a lot of people to grasp.

Where I am in Scotland the transition to mandatory has been seamless and without any great fuss or problems AFAICS. Most of the drama about all the changes and restrictions seems to have come before implementation. It's surprising how flexible people can be when they understand the need. A shame Boris and most of the UK media have made such a hash of getting that understanding across.

BoE

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » July 14th, 2020, 8:19 am

swill453 wrote:I use a buff/neckwarmer thing that I've always carried in my rucksack for hillwalking. Easy to have round the neck in the street, and simply pull up over mouth and nose when you go in a shop.

Scott.

ditto.

and buffs seem to have far less propensity to slip off the nose ot develop gaps around the edges - as it was my dentist yesterday (emergency extraction...) wore both FM and visor but I noticed her FM had slipped bewlow her nostrils at one stage...

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » July 14th, 2020, 8:21 am

jackdaww wrote:these are also called SNOODS .

i find them very good .

:?:

its my understanding that they have been already - when the advcie was to wear a FM, it also said a scarf etc would be sufficient. And from what ive seen about many FMs are not "working" - too loose, flapping off, dropping below nostrils... pointless in some cases. Now that may be because they are not being worn correctly - but that's the bottom line.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » July 14th, 2020, 9:08 am

Bubblesofearth wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:

Arb

Wearing a mask is not primarily about protecting you but rather protecting others. They are a good idea because asymptomatic people are infectious.

It's fascinating how such a simple point seems to be so difficult for a lot of people to grasp.

Where I am in Scotland the transition to mandatory has been seamless and without any great fuss or problems AFAICS. Most of the drama about all the changes and restrictions seems to have come before implementation. It's surprising how flexible people can be when they understand the need. A shame Boris and most of the UK media have made such a hash of getting that understanding across.

BoE

I think it is understood and that's why I mentioned "virtue signalling". "Oh aren't I being good"
One group of scientists tell us is makes sxx all difference and might even make matters worse, so all we are left with is ministers applying moral blackmail to shame us into wearing them because they feel it will make the economy pick up. They know the science isn't clear because the scientists are split, so its down to making us feel we are solical pariahs, and some of us dislike this form of pressure. Like when October/November comes round and we all have to wear poppies or we are letting the side down - or like in 1938 one had to join the Nazi party to get on in life.....

I don't feel face masks or coverings* or whatever you call them are necessary if people keep their distance. The last thing I want is a return to people rubbing shoulders because they thinks it's OK if one is wearing a mask, but we are a meek and law abiding society, so we will comply when it becomes law. There is no appetite for doing so where I live - everyone just keeps a respectful distance in shops or footpaths alike - and you'd be hard pressed to see more than three masks on an average trip round our busy village.

It's all about the economy, and very little to do with public health. If they were interested in that. they would have sorted out track and trace and the software months ago. Like everything it touches, this government shows itself to be bumbling, incompetent and dishonest.

* face coverings is a bit of linguistic engineering by someone. It sounds less oppressive than "mask" which has various derogratory connotations. It's a mask - don't invent another term when we have one already.

Arb.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » July 14th, 2020, 9:10 am

Bubblesofearth wrote:Wearing a mask is not primarily about protecting you but rather protecting others. They are a good idea because asymptomatic people are infectious.

BoE

Totally agree.

I have been wearing a mask whenever I visited a shop or went near other people since the end of February when I returned from a trip to the Far East (where about 75% of people were wearing them in the street and 99% wearing them in offices, shops, banks etc).

It's a two-way street in terms of protecting your self and others. It also acts as a visual reminder to people that there is a nasty virus about.

It is disappointing that in some of my local shops and supermarkets customers and staff have more recently stopped wearing them.

neversay
Lemon Slice

Postby neversay » July 14th, 2020, 9:35 am

For disposable ones I just got 50 for £8.99 from ebay here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-x-3-PLY-D ... 2749.l2649

They all seem to come from the same source so I don't see the point in paying n times as much to get them from Boots etc. They fit ok for an adult but are not tight and, as others suggest, only serve to stop you expelling the virus a long way. So for me they are fine.

For non-disposable I have used my trusted snood but also got the family the adidas sportsmasks at £10.46 for a pack of 3 delivered. Offer here but it may expire: https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/30-dis ... 25-3503080 - many other places do similar ones but the Adidas ones are good quality. I hate logos but the kids think they are cool and don't mind wearing them as a result.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » July 14th, 2020, 9:46 am

Fluke wrote:What type? where from? how much?

Handkerchief and two rubber bands. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52609777

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » July 14th, 2020, 9:46 am

The countries that have had the most success at controlling COVID wear face coverings in public as a matter of courtesy to others. The countries that have done worst, won't.

So do what the successful countries do. It's as simple as that.

Bubblesofearth
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bubblesofearth » July 14th, 2020, 9:50 am

Arborbridge wrote:
I think it is understood and that's why I mentioned "virtue signalling". "Oh aren't I being good"
One group of scientists tell us is makes sxx all difference and might even make matters worse, so all we are left with is ministers applying moral blackmail to shame us into wearing them because they feel it will make the economy pick up. They know the science isn't clear because the scientists are split, so its down to making us feel we are solical pariahs, and some of us dislike this form of pressure. Like when October/November comes round and we all have to wear poppies or we are letting the side down - or like in 1938 one had to join the Nazi party to get on in life.....

I don't feel face masks or coverings* or whatever you call them are necessary if people keep their distance. The last thing I want is a return to people rubbing shoulders because they thinks it's OK if one is wearing a mask, but we are a meek and law abiding society, so we will comply when it becomes law. There is no appetite for doing so where I live - everyone just keeps a respectful distance in shops or footpaths alike - and you'd be hard pressed to see more than three masks on an average trip round our busy village.

It's all about the economy, and very little to do with public health. If they were interested in that. they would have sorted out track and trace and the software months ago. Like everything it touches, this government shows itself to be bumbling, incompetent and dishonest.

* face coverings is a bit of linguistic engineering by someone. It sounds less oppressive than "mask" which has various derogratory connotations. It's a mask - don't invent another term when we have one already.

Arb.

The science is totally clear. Ask any surgeon whether masks help prevent the spread of germs. It aint rocket science. The problem has been the behaviour that politicians have assumed we will exhibit if wearing masks, i.e. abandoning other protective measures such as social distancing. And the confusion around this lies squarely with the messages sent out by those politicians. Especially here in the UK where once again we seem to be behind the curve.

It should be made clear that it is a combination of measures that helps reduce the spread. Self-isolate if unwell, masks, social distancing, regular hand-washing and decontamination of surfaces as appropriate. I think most people are smart enough to manage those measures.

'Face coverings' is not a bad idea as a replacement for 'masks' as the term 'mask' carries a clear image in most peoples mind of what doctors/surgeons wear. However, any form of face covering (scarf, snood, cloth from an old t-shirt etc) or shield will help reduce the spread.

No argument with you regarding the competence of our Government!

BoE

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 14th, 2020, 10:00 am

I dislike wearing a mask but obviously I comply when in shops (I live in Scotland). I am surprised at how much we 'read' people's faces when we interact with them and to have a mask you are left studying their eyes or hand gestures. That introduces an entirely new etiquette.

Dod

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » July 14th, 2020, 10:01 am

richfool wrote:
Bubblesofearth wrote:Wearing a mask is not primarily about protecting you but rather protecting others. They are a good idea because asymptomatic people are infectious.

BoE

Totally agree.

I have been wearing a mask whenever I visited a shop or went near other people since the end of February when I returned from a trip to the Far East (where about 75% of people were wearing them in the street and 99% wearing them in offices, shops, banks etc).

It's a two-way street in terms of protecting your self and others. It also acts as a visual reminder to people that there is a nasty virus about.

It is disappointing that in some of my local shops and supermarkets customers and staff have more recently stopped wearing them.

Given the Board we are on this is tricky territory, but it is far from simple.

Masks prevent dispersal of "droplets" at the time of coughing/sneezing. They are a barrier designed to do just that. But that barrier effectively provides a concentrated collection of those droplets, and furthermore provides a warm/moist environment in which they can thrive.

The best masks, those worn by healthcare professionals, "trap" more, and provide a better route for inhalation/exhalation, but still have the "collecting/thriving" issue. But being "professionals they are aware of this and both dispose of them frequently (and properly) and don't tend to touch their faces as well as undertaking rigorous hand washing regimes.

Unfortunately most masks aren't as good, many wearers tend to touch their faces, dispose of them less frequently and less cautiously, and have less rigorous hand washing than professionals. So whilst "barriers" are good in catching droplets, the negative offsets of touching (and then touching other surfaces), changing the mask infrequently, relying on a false sense of security etc. all make the benefit less clear cut (and potentially a negative).

Back to the Board. The answer depends on whether you are concerned primarily about cost, or medical effectiveness. To comply with the law it is probable (the law hasn't been drafted and legislated yet) all you would be required is to have a face covering. In practice, regardless of the law, it would be very unlikely you would be seen by shop owners to be breaking it, if you were to be wearing a covering.

So there are plenty of ways of making one for free, lots of internet videos etc.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » July 14th, 2020, 10:07 am

dealtn wrote:Unfortunately most masks aren't as good, many wearers tend to touch their faces, dispose of them less frequently and less cautiously, and have less rigorous hand washing than professionals. So whilst "barriers" are good in catching droplets, the negative offsets of touching (and then touching other surfaces), changing the mask infrequently, relying on a false sense of security etc. all make the benefit less clear cut (and potentially a negative).

Agreed, but wearing a face covering (to protect others), and frequent handwashing or use of hand gel (to protect oneself) will be very effective. And the more people who do it, the more socially unacceptable it will be to not do it.

Scott.

Fluke
Lemon Slice

Postby Fluke » July 14th, 2020, 10:10 am

Well I too have a snood which I'd forgotten about, a thin one that I used to use a lot for hill walking so just fished it out from the back of a drawer, I'll use that for the time being and see how it goes. I suppose a thin scarf might do just as well flung round the neck and held up loosely by the glasses, quite like that look actually. Having warn a surgical mask day in day out for the best part of 10 years I'm strongly of the view they do little good, a view backed up several times btw by the governments own medical advisors at the daily stand ups. But I will go will go with the flow and do as I'm told, I certainly don't want to incur the wrath of my fellow shoppers never mind about the fine.

Return to “Living Below Your Means”