Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Face masks

Making your money go further
cavebat
2 Lemon pips

Re: Face masks

Postby cavebat » August 12th, 2020, 12:27 am

For those using the "disposable" masks - my brother-in-law's wife (a recently retired very senior midwife) suggested this - these can be be re-used if only worn for shopping - bring them home give them a quick wash/rinse, dry in the sun on the line, then spray with Dettox (I presume other disinfectant sprays are available).

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 12th, 2020, 8:54 am

cavebat wrote:For those using the "disposable" masks - my brother-in-law's wife (a recently retired very senior midwife) suggested this - these can be be re-used if only worn for shopping - bring them home give them a quick wash/rinse, dry in the sun on the line, then spray with Dettox (I presume other disinfectant sprays are available).

Spray with Dettox after all washing? Sounds a bit Trumpian to me! Is she perhaps thinking of how some mothers use "disposable" nappies?

If a bit of soap kills The Virus, then a regular wash should surely be ample. Though I don't imagine a "disposable" item would survive very long.

cavebat
2 Lemon pips

Postby cavebat » August 13th, 2020, 12:01 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
cavebat wrote:For those using the "disposable" masks - my brother-in-law's wife (a recently retired very senior midwife) suggested this - these can be be re-used if only worn for shopping - bring them home give them a quick wash/rinse, dry in the sun on the line, then spray with Dettox (I presume other disinfectant sprays are available).

Spray with Dettox after all washing? Sounds a bit Trumpian to me! Is she perhaps thinking of how some mothers use "disposable" nappies?

If a bit of soap kills The Virus, then a regular wash should surely be ample. Though I don't imagine a "disposable" item would survive very long.

Thank you for your comment. The advice is a quick wash/rinse under a tap (not a full on wash in the washing machine.) Dried preferably in sunshine and then sprayed with Dottox or a similar spray, as an extra protection. As you say a "disposable" item won't last very long, but this is about prolonging its use. I've thrown out my first mask today - I've used it about 5 times, following the advice above.

At the rate I'm using them the bag of 50 I bought will last me nearly a year.

YMMV

Return to “Living Below Your Means”