Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Any Puppy LBYM Tips?

Making your money go further
neversay
Lemon Slice

Any Puppy LBYM Tips?

Postby neversay » July 14th, 2020, 10:00 am

We are soon to enter the world of dog ownership after much thought and long-term planning (not just a lockdown decision).

Can anyone here share your wisdom on dog LBYM, particularly:

- Pet insurance: There's also a choice of insurance types including accident, time-limited, maximum benefit or lifetime. Insurance is always a gamble, but in other areas, I tend to self-insure or have a high excess to keep premiums low. What's the best strategy with young pets?

- Pet health club (no kidding!): The vet we had recommended has a scheme for £14 that covers annual core vaccinations, year-round flea and worm control, 2 health appointments, 2 claw clips, and then 10% off their other services (like food, parasite treatment, neutering, dentistry, wellness screening). Are these worth it?

- Food and treats: With so difficult to tell whether 'premium' brands are worth the difference in price and quality. Any recommendations on good products/brands or, alternatively, sites with reliable reviews?

- Paraphernalia: It's like having a baby again with beds, mats, toys etc (I was going to say crates, which would have come in handy with our two children! :lol: ). Any recommendations on what equipment is worth getting/avoiding and where to spend more/less?

Thanks! :)

swill453
Lemon Half

Re: Any Puppy LBYM Tips?

Postby swill453 » July 14th, 2020, 11:41 am

My daughter used this site to choose food for her puppy https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/

It lets you put in dog size, your budget etc. and ranks food by nutritional value, or price etc.

Scott.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » July 14th, 2020, 1:04 pm

neversay wrote:We are soon to enter the world of dog ownership after much thought and long-term planning (not just a lockdown decision).

Can anyone here share your wisdom on dog LBYM, particularly:

- Pet insurance: There's also a choice of insurance types including accident, time-limited, maximum benefit or lifetime. Insurance is always a gamble, but in other areas, I tend to self-insure or have a high excess to keep premiums low. What's the best strategy with young pets?

- Pet health club (no kidding!): The vet we had recommended has a scheme for £14 that covers annual core vaccinations, year-round flea and worm control, 2 health appointments, 2 claw clips, and then 10% off their other services (like food, parasite treatment, neutering, dentistry, wellness screening). Are these worth it?

- Food and treats: With so difficult to tell whether 'premium' brands are worth the difference in price and quality. Any recommendations on good products/brands or, alternatively, sites with reliable reviews?

- Paraphernalia: It's like having a baby again with beds, mats, toys etc (I was going to say crates, which would have come in handy with our two children! :lol: ). Any recommendations on what equipment is worth getting/avoiding and where to spend more/less?

Thanks! :)

Insurance- I have never bothered, as long as you pick a sturdy bred or better still a mongrel, then they are pretty healthy animals.

Health Clubs- Never bothered. I am not aware of any annual vaccinations needed and flea/tick/worm control costs maybe £20. A pair of nial clippers is a fiver.

Food- Give your puppy anything and don't let them get too fussy. Worst thing is to feed them too much so follow guidelines carefully.

Stuff- Beyond a decent collar and lead and crate and dog bowls, nothing else is essential. One of those ball throwing things helps stop tennis elbow.

Best advice is get a smallish proper dog I like Jack Russells, tough fun and cheap to run.

John

neversay
Lemon Slice

Postby neversay » July 14th, 2020, 1:21 pm

swill453 wrote:My daughter used this site to choose food for her puppy https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/

Thanks Scott.

redsturgeon wrote:Insurance- I have never bothered, as long as you pick a sturdy bred or better still a mongrel, then they are pretty healthy animals.

Health Clubs- Never bothered. I am not aware of any annual vaccinations needed and flea/tick/worm control costs maybe £20. A pair of nial clippers is a fiver.

Food- Give your puppy anything and don't let them get too fussy. Worst thing is to feed them too much so follow guidelines carefully.

Stuff- Beyond a decent collar and lead and crate and dog bowls, nothing else is essential. One of those ball throwing things helps stop tennis elbow.

Best advice is get a smallish proper dog I like Jack Russells, tough fun and cheap to run.

John

Now that's what I call Puppy LBYM!

Thanks John. :P

Return to “Living Below Your Means”