Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

How did your all electric (cars & heating) do during the cold spell

Making your money go further
taken2often
Lemon Slice

How did your all electric (cars & heating) do during the cold spell

Postby taken2often » February 25th, 2021, 7:43 pm

I have a Hybrid and it cost me more in fuel, cost per mile. Due to the lock down and only short journey's. But I did wonder how the all electric cars and heating did. Any comments

Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: How did your all electric (cars & heating) do during the cold spell

Postby Dod101 » February 25th, 2021, 8:37 pm

I have used more heating oil than usual by quite a long way but that was to be expected and I am not sure the point of the question. With temperatures at or below freezing 24 hours per day, I would not expect anything else.
Not for my car I may say but for heating my house.
Dod

taken2often
Lemon Slice

Postby taken2often » February 25th, 2021, 10:25 pm

My post was badly worded It should have had car in the title. Winter running must be a bit difficult unless they get heat for the interior from the electric motors. Otherwise big reduction in mileage.

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » February 25th, 2021, 11:11 pm

taken2often wrote:My post was badly worded It should have had car in the title. Winter running must be a bit difficult unless they get heat for the interior from the electric motors. Otherwise big reduction in mileage.

Modern battery-electric-vehicles use the waste heat from the motors, inverters, and batteries for cabin heating. They also use heat pumps. All new designs coming to market now fit this design (such as Tesla model 3 and Y), and older designs (such as the Tesla S and X) are being upgraded to this design.

regards, dspp

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » February 26th, 2021, 6:56 am

I suspect that you are not going to find many who have an answer here.

To have an answer you need to both run a pure EV and deliberately drive it until you can't. At which point things become difficult. You would need to be towed or trailered to a charging point.

If the purpose is to answer the question, then I can see a journalist or even Youtube commentator doing so. However most people with such car's or vehicles will have picked them for their normal motoring (including cold weather) and not attempt to exceed their expected range.

I'd also point out that this thread is on LBYM, rather than the motoring board. It may be more likely that someone on that board would go to the extra effort or expense of requiring towing.

chris
Lemon Pip

Postby chris » March 1st, 2021, 2:54 pm

Hi

I have a hybrid and live about 23 miles from work. I can never get to work on a full charge (It is higher where I work than where I live) but if I drive carefully, can get home on a charge (I can charge at work for free). During the really cold week, there was no way, even if I drove really carefully and coasted a lot, that I could get home on a charge. The best I could do was about 3 miles from home and the worst, about 5-6 miles.

Therefore I may be able to confirm your suspicion that the batteries are far less reliable at holding a charge in cold weather. Admittedly, there would have been a bit more heating from the charge but I don't think that that explains the big drop.

Now that the weather has warmed again, I can get home on a charge and could even get to Asda, about 1.5 miles away on the same charge the other night.

Chris

Return to “Living Below Your Means”