Page 1 of 1

lookaftermybills

Posted: September 14th, 2020, 10:33 am
by didds
a widely advertsised service Im sure many Fools are aware of...

is it really as simple as suggested? Sign up and they do the leg work, and importantly no gotchas?

Anyone any actual experience?

didds

Re: lookaftermybills

Posted: September 14th, 2020, 7:52 pm
by Maroochydore
No experience but I'm guessing they will swop you to a new supplier every year so they can pick up their commissions. I believe switching services get between £25 and £60 per switch from the principals.

That makes me think they're not acting in the bill-payers best interests.

Re: lookaftermybills

Posted: September 15th, 2020, 10:46 am
by absolutezero
Plus if it's that one with the really annoying repetitive advert then I refuse to deal with it on principle.
Never use companies with annoying adverts.

I'm not sure why anyone would bother really. I use USwitch once a year and do it myself.
Keep control.

Re: lookaftermybills

Posted: September 23rd, 2020, 4:28 pm
by stevensfo
absolutezero wrote:Plus if it's that one with the really annoying repetitive advert then I refuse to deal with it on principle.
Never use companies with annoying adverts.

I'm not sure why anyone would bother really. I use USwitch once a year and do it myself.
Keep control.


I come back to the UK about twice a year to visit my Mum, sisters etc, and there is one advert that never seems to go away. Some creatures -meercats?- yacking about something and a fat guy with a moustache. Not sure if I'm confusing two adverts, but I remember the phrase GoCompare. Don't the executives ever get off their fat arses and ask people what they think? I have no idea what those irritating animals are advertising and wouldn't want to know, apart from if they're easy to barbecue.

Adverts are sometimes too clever. I have memories of jingles and advert plots going back 30 years that I can't get out of my head, but no idea what they were advertising.

Others, like the Benetton adverts and posters, pretty much made me decide never ever to visit one of their squalid little stores! But the adverts and their disgusting posters certainly made me remember their name! ;)

Steve

Re: lookaftermybills

Posted: September 23rd, 2020, 5:43 pm
by James
stevensfo wrote:
I come back to the UK about twice a year to visit my Mum, sisters etc, and there is one advert that never seems to go away. Some creatures -meercats?- yacking about something and a fat guy with a moustache. Not sure if I'm confusing two adverts, but I remember the phrase GoCompare. Don't the executives ever get off their fat arses and ask people what they think? I have no idea what those irritating animals are advertising and wouldn't want to know, apart from if they're easy to barbecue.

Well, the executives at GoCompare will be delighted to have got their name into your head as to the extent that you think of them when replying to a thread about comparisson sites. The meerkats are for Compare the M[ee/a]rket, so they're half way there as well.

Re: lookaftermybills

Posted: September 23rd, 2020, 6:24 pm
by stevensfo
James wrote:
stevensfo wrote:
I come back to the UK about twice a year to visit my Mum, sisters etc, and there is one advert that never seems to go away. Some creatures -meercats?- yacking about something and a fat guy with a moustache. Not sure if I'm confusing two adverts, but I remember the phrase GoCompare. Don't the executives ever get off their fat arses and ask people what they think? I have no idea what those irritating animals are advertising and wouldn't want to know, apart from if they're easy to barbecue.

Well, the executives at GoCompare will be delighted to have got their name into your head as to the extent that you think of them when replying to a thread about comparisson sites. The meerkats are for Compare the M[ee/a]rket, so they're half way there as well.


There is quite a big difference between advertising and Aversion therapy!
...or maybe not? ;)

Steve

Re: lookaftermybills

Posted: September 23rd, 2020, 7:57 pm
by gryffron
stevensfo wrote:I have no idea what those irritating animals are advertising and wouldn't want to know, apart from if they're easy to barbecue.
Adverts are sometimes too clever. I have memories of jingles and advert plots going back 30 years that I can't get out of my head, but no idea what they were advertising.

I have done numerous market research sessions on adverts. Where you are paid to tell them what you think. They always ask..., not how good the advert is, but how memorable. Sometimes, they show you a dozen ads at the start, and at the end ask you which you to remember. It's always just sticking the image in your mind. It doesn't have to be a GOOD image. Annoying is really powerful.

So I exactly concur with James. Their ad executives will be reading your post and rubbing their hands in glee.

Gryff

Re: lookaftermybills

Posted: September 23rd, 2020, 8:12 pm
by stevensfo
gryffron wrote:
stevensfo wrote:I have no idea what those irritating animals are advertising and wouldn't want to know, apart from if they're easy to barbecue.
Adverts are sometimes too clever. I have memories of jingles and advert plots going back 30 years that I can't get out of my head, but no idea what they were advertising.

I have done numerous market research sessions on adverts. Where you are paid to tell them what you think. They always ask..., not how good the advert is, but how memorable. Sometimes, they show you a dozen ads at the start, and at the end ask you which you to remember. It's always just sticking the image in your mind. It doesn't have to be a GOOD image. Annoying is really powerful.

So I exactly concur with James. Their ad executives will be reading your post and judging this a success.

Gryff


Annoying IS powerful. I have avoided Benetton shops for over 30 years due to their advertising.

Re. the meercats things, no doubt the fact that I can't remember what they're advertising passes them by? Or if I do know but feel sick and worn out at the thought?

I still have the Mothercare song in my head after 40 years: 'Mothercare goes up to ten'.

Didn't do their ad executives much good, did it! :lol:


Steve

Re: lookaftermybills

Posted: September 24th, 2020, 8:31 pm
by UncleEbenezer
stevensfo wrote:Annoying IS powerful. I have avoided Benetton shops for over 30 years due to their advertising.

Re. the meercats things, no doubt the fact that I can't remember what they're advertising passes them by? Or if I do know but feel sick and worn out at the thought?

I still have the Mothercare song in my head after 40 years: 'Mothercare goes up to ten'.

Didn't do their ad executives much good, did it! :lol:


Steve


Is this where I should be smug about not having a telly? None of those ads means anything to me.

My big gripe is shops that pipe muzak at me. Where I live it gives me a strong preference for Lidl and Tesco (always quiet) over Morrison and Coop (usually noisy). Which is a shame, 'cos Morrisons is the only bigger supermarket, and the selection at the quiet ones is much more limited.

Sadly they don't see the people who avoid them precisely because their nonsense makes them a miserable/stressful experience. So they have no data to prove they're driving customers away, and every incentive to spin a positive story.

Re: lookaftermybills

Posted: September 26th, 2020, 7:50 pm
by ten0rman
UncleEbenezer,

I quite agree with your comments re muzac, or what passes for music these days. Which, although it doesn't affect me with not being in Scotland, makes me in full agreement with Dear Leader for banning music in pubs etc for the time being. About the only thing she has done with which I am in agreement.

A few years ago, the choral society of which I was then a member sang carols for an hour in our local Sainsburys. Thankfully, Sainsburys shut off the musak for us.

ten0rman

Re: lookaftermybills

Posted: September 26th, 2020, 10:04 pm
by GrahamPlatt
.......