Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

There's a problem, Capn...

Making your money go further
NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

There's a problem, Capn...

Postby NomoneyNohoney » October 24th, 2020, 7:40 pm

So, I said to the missus, how is it that I used to get six glasses of wine from a bottle, but nowadays it's only four? She tried to convince me that it must be evaporation as I carry the glass of wine back and forth, but I think there's another reason.
As wine has gone up perhaps 50% in price, is there something else going on? I would ask if they're watering it down or something, but even I can see the problem with that line of thought. How can I get better value for money?

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: There's a problem, Capn...

Postby Itsallaguess » October 24th, 2020, 7:56 pm

NomoneyNohoney wrote:
So, I said to the missus, how is it that I used to get six glasses of wine from a bottle, but nowadays it's only four?

She tried to convince me that it must be evaporation as I carry the glass of wine back and forth, but I think there's another reason.

You might be right - there may well be another underlying reason, but in the meantime, I think it would be prudent to take your wife's advice on board and at least make a real effort to minimise the opportunity for evaporation whilst you continue your investigations, just in case it turns out that this is indeed the issue...

Clearly the best way to do that is to drink the wine straight from the bottle, reducing, as far as is practical, the opportunity for any wine at all to make contact with the open air.

Don't forget that the length of time between opening the bottle and finishing it will also play a large part in any potential evaporation process too, so don't forget that important point whilst you consider any alternative theories..

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » October 24th, 2020, 8:08 pm

Have you looked at your carpets recently? It could be that you've started spilling it. Just make sure that you drink a glass or two before you start handing it round and you should be fine.

RC

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » October 24th, 2020, 8:18 pm

Stop filling your glass right up to the very brim, and the problem will go away....

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » October 24th, 2020, 8:19 pm

Tell your wife that she must buy her own wine and stop drinking one-third of yours

--kiloran

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » October 24th, 2020, 8:49 pm

What? You get four glasses from a bottle!

You obviously haven't been using the right glasses.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Giant-Wine-Gla ... 118&sr=8-8

Seriously, I paid a potter to make me some wine drinking vessels some 20 years ago. The difficulty came when I specified 1/3 of a pint as volume. It was at the time a lot more than a standard measure. He came good though.

Ps we were not always so miserly. The old wine drinking vessel was a Mazer.

The size of wooden mazers was restricted by the relatively small size of the trees that gave the best dense and grained wood.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazer_(drinking_vessel)

I do wonder if we should be a-mazed.

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » October 25th, 2020, 8:26 am

take the bottle to your fireside chair, thus reducing exposure to evaporation en route

secondary benefit will be reduced wear n tear on carpet...so wife should appreciate less hoovering needed

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » October 26th, 2020, 12:32 pm

kiloran wrote:Tell your wife that she must buy her own wine and stop drinking one-third of yours

"I cannae change the laws of physics, captain. I've given her all she's got, and she cannae take any more." ;)

BJ

Return to “Living Below Your Means”