Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Yorkshire Energy goes bust

Making your money go further
DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Re: Yorkshire Energy goes bust

Postby DrFfybes » December 29th, 2020, 10:10 am

Thanks for this AF62

My house is showing as "switching" although when I click on it I am taken back to the login screen :( The previous properties are all there though going back years.

Sadly my mum's (which used the same email) seems to have been lost somewhere.

I suspect the sudden influx of 74,000 new customers has given their switching team a bit of a backlog. Wih about 350k people switching suppliers[1] each month their workload will be 2 or 3 fold higher than normal.

Paul

[1] About 550k switched in October, but it looks like the headline figure includes 200k that switched Tariff with the same supplier.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » December 29th, 2020, 4:09 pm

DrFfybes wrote:Sadly my mum's (which used the same email) seems to have been lost somewhere.

SP are in the process of setting up the DDs, and if yours has been set up then if you can check online at your bank then the reference number showing against the DD is your account number and you can use it to register a new account with SP.

I have just done mine and although there is minimal information in there at the moment, it does confirm that the switch is underway and the amount and date of future DDs.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » January 2nd, 2021, 10:20 am

My SP account is now live, so have now initiated a switch to another supplier (not sure if it is too soon yet, by hey ho), although there isn't a lot better out there at the moment.

daducky

Postby daducky » January 2nd, 2021, 11:16 am

In 2019, I was living in Sheffield working on a contract.
I had energy for my flat from Solarplicity which started on good price and quel surprise increased to winter rates all year round with little success in trying renegotiate. What the hell I thought, I only got a few more months here. I'll get it back at the end. And so I did, just. After 6 months efforts chasing their cus serv dept having put a complaint through the energy ombudsman, I got my credit back. A month later they went bust. I had also asked for a consideration, for the time and effort I 'd had to spend chasing the co, which I didn't receive which was disappointing, suggesting any new or existing company would feel free to repeat the same behaviours as Solarplicity.

I noted on TV recently an ad for a similar type of operator, fair (introductory?) rates, never heard of them before i.e. probably small, nice words on their ethics/ customer service attitude. Exactly what Solarplicity said. One wonders what the point of the ombudsman is. Or maybe I'm confusing the ombudsman's role with the duties of a regulator?

As an aside, I noted that for the top 6 largest energsupplies post privatisation of the energy supply market, prices to customers had increased 3 x energy cost inflation in the first 10 years of operating.

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » January 2nd, 2021, 1:01 pm

daducky wrote:
As an aside, I noted that for the top 6 largest energsupplies post privatisation of the energy supply market, prices to customers had increased 3 x energy cost inflation in the first 10 years of operating.

That gives you an insight into the amount of underinvestment into the UK energy system in the previous decades during public ownership, and the amount of accumulated obsolescence that needed to be overcome. There were of course some bad things about privatising the utilities (elec, gas, phones, water & sewage, trains), but if you look at the infrastructure progress and service improvements the UK has made in the last 40-years it is very significant.

regards, dspp

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » January 7th, 2021, 8:09 pm

AF62 wrote:My SP account is now live, so have now initiated a switch to another supplier (not sure if it is too soon yet, by hey ho), although there isn't a lot better out there at the moment.

Bad form I know to quote yourself... Anyway, if anyone else was thinking of switching away from SP, I have just had the "sorry you are leaving" email from SP, so it doesn't look that I was too early putting through my switch request.

daducky

Postby daducky » January 13th, 2021, 8:13 am

dspp wrote:
daducky wrote:

That gives you an insight into the amount of underinvestment into the UK energy system in the previous decades during public ownership, and the amount of accumulated obsolescence that needed to be overcome. There were of course some bad things about privatising the utilities (elec, gas, phones, water & sewage, trains), but if you look at the infrastructure progress and service improvements the UK has made in the last 40-years it is very significant.

regards, dspp

I really can't say i've noticed service or infrastruc improvements. But then i live in a city rather than wild and wind swept moors...
All i've i noticed is ripe opportunism from inadequate regulation.

Recently Parly passed a law requiring energy cos to refund customer credit, upon customer application at the end of their contract. On this:
i) the co unilaterally increased the debit to a rate from customers could not use in a year. Accordingly they should be required to automatically return credit to the same bank account the direct debit was drawn from ie without customer request. It almost certain a good number of customers are not even aware that their energy supply cos sit of piles of their credit and so will not ask for a return of what they're not aware.
Ii) that energy cos sit on credit from xs charging can and particularly for less worldly customers leave them free to be shamefully exploited. It should be the case that a) credit is returned annually eg on 31/3. b) the overcharge from the prior year is used to adjust the current's year's charge to minimise the building of credit which will not be used in year.
Iii) that neither of these actions have been undertaken signals inadequate law making in regard to public protection from profiteering.

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » January 13th, 2021, 9:31 am

daducky wrote:
dspp wrote:
daducky wrote:

regards, dspp

I really can't say i've noticed service or infrastruc improvements. But then i live in a city rather than wild and wind swept moors...
All i've i noticed is ripe opportunism from inadequate regulation.

Recently Parly passed a law requiring energy cos to refund customer credit, upon customer application at the end of their contract. On this:
i) the co unilaterally increased the debit to a rate from customers could not use in a year. Accordingly they should be required to automatically return credit to the same bank account the direct debit was drawn from ie without customer request. It almost certain a good number of customers are not even aware that their energy supply cos sit of piles of their credit and so will not ask for a return of what they're not aware.
Ii) that energy cos sit on credit from xs charging can and particularly for less worldly customers leave them free to be shamefully exploited. It should be the case that a) credit is returned annually eg on 31/3. b) the overcharge from the prior year is used to adjust the current's year's charge to minimise the building of credit which will not be used in year.
Iii) that neither of these actions have been undertaken signals inadequate law making in regard to public protection from profiteering.

1. I think it depends how old you are. Do you remember using the train in the 70s, or getting a phone line installed back then ?

2. Yes, the utilities are pretty blatant in their rip-off approach to DD and credit balances.

regards, dspp

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » January 13th, 2021, 4:15 pm

daducky wrote:As an aside, I noted that for the top 6 largest energsupplies post privatisation of the energy supply market, prices to customers had increased 3 x energy cost inflation in the first 10 years of operating.

To be fair, that is largely because of govt tampering. Solar feed-in tariffs, carbon credits, private nuclear deals etc etc.
The private energy suppliers have very little control over these things.

Gryff

barchid
Lemon Slice

Postby barchid » January 17th, 2021, 10:25 am

AF62
Thanks for your input here, I saw my account was live via the DD number & I switched from the emergency tariff we were put on to a 2 year fix with SP but with no exit charges, so when the dust settles in a couple of months I will have a check to see what is on offer, I just thought this might be a safer approach.
Sad about Yorkshire, we all knew they were tiny when we joined up but I had better service from them than anyone in the energy field.

Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Postby Gersemi » January 17th, 2021, 10:29 am

I must say I'm finding the progress of the switch to Scottish Power achingly slow. YE didn't take my DD this month, but neither did SP, so I haven't paid anything this month. My account is set up at SP, but there are no details there, so if I try to enter my meter readings they don't have the previous details despite me providing these in December (along with my bank details). I want to switch away but I was waiting until the switch to SP had taken place. I know there a lot of people, but it's now more than a month since YE went into administration.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » January 17th, 2021, 12:53 pm

Gersemi wrote:I want to switch away but I was waiting until the switch to SP had taken place.

Well the switch I put through to another provider seems to be going through as I had the 'sorry you are leaving' text from SP and a call from SP's retention team to see if there was anything they could do to retain me - no, because your prices are higher.

I cancelled the YE DD as soon as they announced they had gone under, but was slightly in credit with them anyway. Nothing seems to have been taken by SP either despite their DD being set up. Whatever happens the sums involved are relatively small.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » January 29th, 2021, 2:19 pm

barchid wrote:AF62
Thanks for your input here, I saw my account was live via the DD number & I switched from the emergency tariff we were put on to a 2 year fix with SP but with no exit charges, so when the dust settles in a couple of months I will have a check to see what is on offer, I just thought this might be a safer approach.
Sad about Yorkshire, we all knew they were tiny when we joined up but I had better service from them than anyone in the energy field.

They claim that one will actually cost us more, however I am still completely unable to find out what we are actually paying on our "online exclusive" tarrif as there are about half a dozen 'online exclusive' ones with different dates on them. Also it won't tell me (or let me input) my estimated usage so how do I know what they are basing their prices on?

You'd think that once you were logged in and clicked "view your tarrif" they could manage to do it without asking for your postcode etc. I'm remembering why I switched from them when we moved here.

Paul

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » January 30th, 2021, 12:49 pm

The latest Which has Octopus (80%) and Pure Planet (74%) as their top recommendations.
Outfox The Market also had good ratings (82%) and was five star for value.

SP was rated 24th out of 25 with a rating of 55%. As I've mentioned, I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole after the way they messed me around.

In the end I stayed with Ovo even though it's a few quid more.
They give interest on year-end credit balances and I was amused to see that they were trying to get me to reduce my direct debit to £5 (five) so as to remove the + balance, having only a few months previous insisted that I increase it to £170 :)

V8

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » January 30th, 2021, 1:00 pm

88V8 wrote:The latest Which has Octopus (80%) and Pure Planet (74%) as their top recommendations.
Outfox The Market also had good ratings (82%) and was five star for value.

SP was rated 24th out of 25 with a rating of 55%. As I've mentioned, I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole after the way they messed me around.

In the end I stayed with Ovo even though it's a few quid more.
They give interest on year-end credit balances and I was amused to see that they were trying to get me to reduce my direct debit to £5 (five) so as to remove the + balance, having only a few months previous insisted that I increase it to £170 :)

V8

I, too, bank with Ovo (where else can I get 5% on my savings!) and get my energy from them.

And I have also experienced this see-saw of them recommending a reduction in the monthly payment, rapidly followed by warnings that my balance, when compared to my usage, won't last the winter.

Their algorithm needs some work, I suspect.

Watis

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » January 31st, 2021, 1:31 pm

Two energy suppliers that supply more than 400,000 homes, Green Network Energy and Simplicity Energy, have ceased trading.

Green Network Energy provides around 360,000 domestic customers with gas and electricity, while Simplicity Energy has around 50,000 customers.

Ofgem, the energy regulator, said it would protect the customers of both failed businesses, including their credit balances.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bil ... lapse.html

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » January 31st, 2021, 2:11 pm

All getting interesting. Scottish Power tried to move me to them but by the time they did it I had already signed up with SO Energy and they took me on from 29/12. Then SO sent me an email saying ‘sorry you are leaving us’, and that if I didn’t initiate the switch away from them I could object. Obviously this was Scottish Power trying to grab me back. So I objected and SO confirmed they had formally objected to the move back to SP.
SP’s day rate is 30% higher that SO’s.

Don’t know what is going to happen, but the power is still working and SP do not have a direct debit authority.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » February 13th, 2021, 9:47 pm

Well yesterday I got finally the email that mum's account had been transferred oer.

I was a little sceptical as in the past I'd tried to have us both with Scottish and they couldn't cope with both having the same email address (unlike YE who coped fine) and even as I spoke to them on the phone they said we'd need different email addresses. This wasn't an issue as I could change one, but as we'd bth used the same email address with YE they thought the transfer would struggle.

I'd used my details to log into my account the other week, but when I jkust logged in I got mum's, and then lo and behold, underneath were all my old accounts from the last decade or so, including 2 at my current address, one of which is still live. They even had the correct reading :)

Paul

Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Postby Gersemi » February 14th, 2021, 10:37 am

DrFfybes wrote:
I'd used my details to log into my account the other week, but when I jkust logged in I got mum's, and then lo and behold, underneath were all my old accounts from the last decade or so, including 2 at my current address, one of which is still live. They even had the correct reading :)

Paul

Well lucky you. They managed to note my electricity reading, but not the gas, despite my providing both at the same time to both YE and SP. They didn't take any DD in January and YE took a DD on 07/12/2020, which of course is still sat on my account there. Consequently, having just had the two highest use months at an extortionate rate I owe sack loads (though I trust the December DD will eventually be transferred over as promised by SP). I am of course trying to transfer my supply, but hadn't wanted to start until everything had transferred to SP (though I note that others did start much sooner). It has been a most expensive lesson about the perils of having my energy supply through a small provider.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » February 15th, 2021, 9:12 am

Gersemi wrote: Consequently, having just had the two highest use months at an extortionate rate I owe sack loads

Have you actually managed to work out what rate you are paying? for gas I can't get the info when I log in (which at the moment I can't) which is incredibly frustrating. I suspect I need to submit readings and then generate a bill.

On Uswitch SP do come in at the cheapest for us for combined anyway so I might just end up calling them tomorrow and give them some readings more similar to the ones when we were transferred :)

Paul

Return to “Living Below Your Means”