Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Yorkshire Energy goes bust

Making your money go further
richfool
Lemon Quarter

Yorkshire Energy goes bust

Postby richfool » December 2nd, 2020, 6:53 pm

I just spotted that Yorkshire Energy has gone bust.
Yorkshire Energy, which has operated for two and a half years, is the latest energy provider to cease trading this year.

The energy watchdog is now looking for a new supplier for the firm's 74,000 customers.

In the meantime, households' energy supply will continue as normal and credit balances will be protected.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bil ... where.html

I've just completed a switch from Yorkshire Energy to EON for my gas and electricity, mainly due to EON's low daily standing charges.
I just hope I get my credit balance refunded. :o

Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Re: Yorkshire Energy goes bust

Postby Gersemi » December 2nd, 2020, 7:21 pm

Oh dear, I was just thinking that I hadn't received my monthly reminder for meter readings. That'll be why then :(

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » December 2nd, 2020, 8:36 pm

richfool wrote:I just hope I get my credit balance refunded. :o

I am (was) a customer of theirs as well, but fortunately I owe them £5 at the moment so no credit balance to worry about.

seekingbalance
2 Lemon pips

Postby seekingbalance » December 3rd, 2020, 12:57 am

I have toyed with the idea of going over to a new breed green energy supplier, but constantly read about terrible customer service and an alarming number of company failures.

So I took the green tariff at E.ON and will steer clear of the new guys.

I hope it's different for banks - as I use about 6 of the new ones!

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » December 3rd, 2020, 7:30 am

my SYMBIO deal ends this month .

for the first time i think , i have renewed for 2021 with the same company .

their proposed deal was ok , but i had looked at all their deals , and there were better ones to be had with them.

the best - Low Fair and Green 12M Fixed SE01 v7 ( electricity only ) was the best i could find anywhere .

i think they are now doing dual fuel deals.

:)

neversay
Lemon Slice

Postby neversay » December 3rd, 2020, 9:08 am

I've been with Yorkshire Energy in the past and sorry to see it go along, it seems, with diminishing competition in the sector.

Like many here I would recommend Octopus who have good prices and customer service. If you can get a referral from a friend or family member you get £50 each. If you are joining but don't know anyone then let me know as I can refer you to save you £50 and donate the referrer's £50 to a charity of your choice.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » December 3rd, 2020, 10:22 am

richfool wrote:I've just completed a switch from Yorkshire Energy to EON ... I just hope I get my credit balance refunded. :o

From the article In the meantime, households' energy supply will continue as normal and credit balances will be protected.

Would that suggest, for someone such as you that is already in the transfer process, that credit balances will be repaid or transferred?

For others, the article says Ofgem will now choose a new supplier for you and whilst we are doing this our advice is to wait until we appoint a new supplier and do not switch in the meantime.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » December 3rd, 2020, 8:44 pm

seekingbalance wrote:I have toyed with the idea of going over to a new breed green energy supplier, but constantly read about terrible customer service and an alarming number of company failures.

So I took the green tariff at E.ON and will steer clear of the new guys.

I hope it's different for banks - as I use about 6 of the new ones!

Banks all have the 100 000 euro - approx 80 000 pounds FSCS guarantee, so shouldn't be a problem. The new ones around are Metro, Monzo, Starling, Bunq, N26 etc.

However, there are some Electronic Money Institutions (EMIs) that call themselves 'Banks', so be careful! e.g. Revolut, Transferwise, Monese, Holvi, Bitsa etc. I use Revolut and Transferwise and they are excellent. But you should never keep serious amounts of money there.

Steve

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » December 3rd, 2020, 8:48 pm

PinkDalek wrote:
richfool wrote:I've just completed a switch from Yorkshire Energy to EON ... I just hope I get my credit balance refunded. :o

From the article In the meantime, households' energy supply will continue as normal and credit balances will be protected.

Would that suggest, for someone such as you that is already in the transfer process, that credit balances will be repaid or transferred?

Or he could just stop making payments, whilst continuing to consume energy, and eventually he will have a debit balance.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » December 3rd, 2020, 9:01 pm

Lootman wrote:
PinkDalek wrote:

Or he could just stop making payments, whilst continuing to consume energy, and eventually he will have a debit balance.

Note the use of the past tense:
I've just completed a switch from Yorkshire Energy to EON ... I just hope I get my credit balance refunded.

The switch completed/was effective on 19th November. I am now with EON, but do have a credit balance outstanding with YE. My last payment to YE finished in October and new payments to EON in November. My DDR with YE is still set up, hopefully anticipating a refund at some point.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » December 3rd, 2020, 9:19 pm

richfool wrote:
Lootman wrote:Or he could just stop making payments, whilst continuing to consume energy, and eventually he will have a debit balance.

Note the use of the past tense:
I've just completed a switch from Yorkshire Energy to EON ... I just hope I get my credit balance refunded.

The switch completed/was effective on 19th November. I am now with EON, but do have a credit balance outstanding with YE. My last payment to YE finished in October and new payments to EON in November. My DDR with YE is still set up, hopefully anticipating a refund at some point.

Ah, OK. I try and always avoid having credit balances with any utility or entity. I am always much more comfortable owing money than being owed money, the opposite of many people, but for exactly this kind of reason.

Possession is nine points of the law, or whatever that saying is.

WrongLicence388
Lemon Pip

Postby WrongLicence388 » December 7th, 2020, 2:21 pm

Looks like Scottish Power have been appointed the SOLR (Supplier of Last Resport) for Yorkshire (Daisy) Energy.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications-a ... ire-energy

C.

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » December 7th, 2020, 3:29 pm

Oh that's a bore YE were very good. Am switching to SO Energy which per MSE are the cheapest reliable company for our area. Fingers crossed!

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » December 8th, 2020, 9:57 am

I was with YE for me and my mum, both accessed on the same login.

Mum's seems to be transferring relatively smoothly, but they have missed mine.

They have a dedicated number [1] for the YE transfer, current wait is about 2-2.5 hours[2]. They have a callback system but when I try to enter my phone numer it says it is invalid after I've entered the first 4 digits and then cut me off.

To be fair there is probably a cobbled together small team working from home trying to deal with thousands of concerned enquiries from people who haven't read the email properly and are worried about being cut off or didn't spot that their "<i>credit balances will be protectedW</i>. ;)

Paul

[1] 0800 559 3309 - I wondered about keeping it secret to reduce my waiting time, but I think that ship has sailed[2].

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » December 8th, 2020, 12:33 pm

WrongLicence388 wrote:Looks like Scottish Power have been appointed the SOLR (Supplier of Last Resport) for Yorkshire (Daisy) Energy.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications-a ... ire-energy

C.

Just waiting to see what rubbish “exclusive” tariff we will be offered, but undoubtedly a switch away from SP will be imminent.

WrongLicence388
Lemon Pip

Postby WrongLicence388 » December 8th, 2020, 12:52 pm

AF62 wrote:Just waiting to see what rubbish “exclusive” tariff we will be offered, but undoubtedly a switch away from SP will be imminent.

I think in Industry terms they call these "Deemed Contracts", but if I remember correctly the only saving grace is that they wave any contract exit fees that were applicable to Yorkshire.

Scottish Power probably stick these terms at a higher rate and hope that enough customers don't bother to switch their energy supplier.

C.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » December 8th, 2020, 4:13 pm

WrongLicence388 wrote:I think in Industry terms they call these "Deemed Contracts", but if I remember correctly the only saving grace is that they wave any contract exit fees that were applicable to Yorkshire.

I didn’t have an exit fee with YE as they had recently offered to renew at last year’s fix but with no exit fee - probably should have recognised then it was a last throw of the dice by YE to retain customers to prop up their finances.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » December 15th, 2020, 9:35 am

YE had a great system where I could log in with my email address and password, then select which property I wanted to see the account of, either ours or my mum's.

Scottish don't seem to have the ability to do this and so have contacted me and taken over my mums account, but bot mentioned mine.

Having given it a week for the rush to die down, I rang the number and got straight through, but it goes to their Direct Debit team. They can't tell me if they have taken my account over. Apparently I have to wait for the 'welcome pack email' (on which they have no timescale for delivery) and take it from there.

Ho hum - as an aside the cheapest tariff I could find to replace the YE one was from Scottish. I might just try and switch to them through Uswitch but given I only left Scottish in August due to staggering levels in uselessness I suspect it will cock things up completely.

Paul

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » December 22nd, 2020, 9:17 am

I was thinking of moving to them from Ovo. The attraction was their E7 rates.
Oh well, the saving was only 15% or so.
Lucky escape.

Previously I was with Scottish Power. Fine until I needed an engineer, then shambles. Would never go back.

V8

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » December 23rd, 2020, 4:10 pm

If anyone is interested in what Scottish Power will charging YE customers after their take over of the supply, the details are here under the Energy Exclusive Online by clicking on the Information Label and putting in some details - https://www.scottishpower.co.uk/gas-and ... ur-tariffs

Also if you were a customer of SP in the past you might find your old log in details still work.

Return to “Living Below Your Means”