Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Reviving old shoe polish

Making your money go further
88V8
Lemon Half

Reviving old shoe polish

Postby 88V8 » January 2nd, 2021, 3:18 pm

I'm sure this is meat and drink to denizens of this board, but for those facing the problem for the first time, here's an easy way to rescue those rattling old tins. http://oldleathershoe.com/wordpress/?p=569

This is topical to me as I was polishing my wife's (green) leather shoes and needed the transparent polish. We have two tins, one was my mother's, the other MiL's. Both must be easily forty years old and yes, both were rattling.

Mind you, I've noticed that new 'tins' of polish have a far worse lifespan; they are of course not made of tin and the lids are a very poor fit. What have we come to, when shoe polish is marketed with planned obsolescence.

So here's how to rescue them as well.

I used turps to revive my dead polish, warmed with a heat gun. Good for another forty years. Wish I could be revived as easily.

V8

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Reviving old shoe polish

Postby bungeejumper » January 2nd, 2021, 3:42 pm

It's a long time since I've seen (or smelt) proper turps. Did you mean "tirps subst", aka white spirit? ;)

BJ

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » January 2nd, 2021, 8:11 pm

To be honest I just warm it gently, on the normal stove, no need for any solvent.
regards,
dspp

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » January 2nd, 2021, 9:29 pm

I got to " you need a two quart double broiler and an IR thermometer."...
:D Ach too complicated

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » January 2nd, 2021, 9:32 pm

bungeejumper wrote:It's a long time since I've seen (or smelt) proper turps. Did you mean "tirps subst", aka white spirit? ;)

Anyone with 40 year old polish, may also have some old style Turps (unless evaporated). Come what may, I threw my 45 year old green polish away during lockdown. If only I'd had a time machine!

I still have the dark green leather Russell & Bromley ankle boots with stacks though. Last worn in earnest at Knebworth '75, I think, but repaired a couple of times since for fancy dress. :D

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » January 2nd, 2021, 10:15 pm

I was at Knebworth '85 - wearing Reeboks I think

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » January 2nd, 2021, 10:56 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:I got to " you need a two quart double broiler and an IR thermometer."... :D Ach too complicated

Haha, yes, hence the heat gun.

Turps, the real McCoy.
I have a good deal of ancient stuff in my garage.

Yesterday I also discovered a source of inexpensive refills for my father's Nenette. Nenettes can be used to polish shoes as well as cars.

V8

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » January 3rd, 2021, 5:29 pm

88V8 wrote:I'm sure this is meat and drink to denizens of this board, but for those facing the problem for the first time, here's an easy way to rescue those rattling old tins. http://oldleathershoe.com/wordpress/?p=569

This is topical to me as I was polishing my wife's (green) leather shoes and needed the transparent polish. We have two tins, one was my mother's, the other MiL's. Both must be easily forty years old and yes, both were rattling.

Mind you, I've noticed that new 'tins' of polish have a far worse lifespan; they are of course not made of tin and the lids are a very poor fit. What have we come to, when shoe polish is marketed with planned obsolescence.

So here's how to rescue them as well.

I used turps to revive my dead polish, warmed with a heat gun. Good for another forty years. Wish I could be revived as easily.

V8

This is brilliant advice, but could you please give the alternative names for 'Turps'? I recognise the name, but don't think I've heard it since riding on my Grandad's wheelbarrow about 50 years ago. 8-)

Steve

PS Yes, I also have old tins of dry polish that rattle. I still remember explaining to my Grandmother (in her 90s) that, no, you cannot ask for n*gg*r-brown polish (a well known brand) any more, and having to explain the reasons why. It took me a while but I think I made her understand. Thank goodness!! :?

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » January 3rd, 2021, 5:31 pm

stevensfo wrote:... I still remember explaining to my Grandmother ...

It seems we shared the same Grandmother.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » January 4th, 2021, 12:12 pm

PinkDalek wrote:
stevensfo wrote:... I still remember explaining to my Grandmother ...

It seems we shared the same Grandmother.

From what I remember of the stories she told me, they had a lot of fun in the 1920s/early 1930s, so who knows? :lol:

Re. that actual shoe polish, I remember walking around Knebworth house (near Stevenage) c.1999 and seeing an old advertisement for it on the wall. I wonder if they ever removed it.

Steve

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » January 4th, 2021, 12:52 pm

stevensfo wrote:.... could you please give the alternative names for 'Turps'?

Oil of Turpentine. In fact, Barrettine still make it.
Except I see that now it's called Genuine Turpentine. https://www.barrettinepro.co.uk/94/797/ ... turpentine to distinguish it from the false stuff.

stevensfo wrote:.... I remember walking around Knebworth house (near Stevenage) c.1999 and seeing an old advertisement on the wall. I wonder if they ever removed it.

Ahh, editing the past. Yes, some of the current generation seem keen on that. It started with Brunel's cigarette, and went on from there.

V8

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » January 4th, 2021, 3:12 pm

88V8 wrote:
stevensfo wrote:.... could you please give the alternative names for 'Turps'?

Oil of Turpentine. In fact, Barrettine still make it.
Except I see that now it's called Genuine Turpentine. https://www.barrettinepro.co.uk/94/797/ ... turpentine to distinguish it from the false stuff.

stevensfo wrote:.... I remember walking around Knebworth house (near Stevenage) c.1999 and seeing an old advertisement on the wall. I wonder if they ever removed it.

Ahh, editing the past. Yes, some of the current generation seem keen on that. It started with Brunel's cigarette, and went on from there.

V8

Oh, thanks for that, though I should have just looked it up on Wikipedia. Just laziness. :-) Not sure what could be 'false turps' but I see why it's toxic. Any six carbon ring like that is bound to cause havoc with your biochemical pathways.

I fully agree about editing the past and it terrifies me. So similar to Orwell's 1984 where history was being re-written weekly to comply with what the government wanted people to think. It started on a smallish scale in the mid-80s when publishers re-edited children's books to make them more relevant to modern sprogs. As with everything, it sets a precedent, so we can expect to see more in the future. Maybe we'll see Germaine Greer's books banned or edited. Her theories on female equality may be quite insulting to those banks attempting to sell their products based on Shariah law. 8-)

Steve

Return to “Living Below Your Means”