Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Decluttering and Ebay

Making your money go further
BobGe
Lemon Slice

Re: Decluttering and Ebay

Postby BobGe » February 5th, 2021, 5:18 am

richlist wrote:Ive never ever had a problem with a buyer saying they didn't get the item and claiming their paypal payment back.

Then you are simply lucky, many have. It's the up there as one of the most frequent ebay/paypal frauds. The QR codes system has been introduced to reduce that fraud.

richlist wrote:Don't forget, when someone pays by paypal the seller gets the buyers address and as it's collect only they are gonna be local. If someone tried that trick on me then they would get a visit from some of my friends.

Paypal does not pass buyer information for ebay transactions. Even via ebay whatever makes you think that address needs be correct? Some items are collected by people living 50-100+ miles away. That's not exactly local. You would be in breach of the law if you used that suggested method of recourse, so you would put yourself and your friends at risk.

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » February 5th, 2021, 12:14 pm

I'm a regular on EBay. My experience is not based on just a few transactions, I have sold thousands of collect only items without a single issue. I'm not disputing the fact that some people will have had problems but on my very large sample size I'm not one of them.

When people pay by paypal the buyers registered address is provided....and that's good enough for me. If that person then steals my money and/ or my goods I will find them & recover what's mine.

I'm sorry if you don't like that method but I don't like being robbed.

Good luck with whatever method you choose but let's hope none of us become a victim.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » February 5th, 2021, 1:11 pm

richlist wrote:If that person then steals my money and/ or my goods I will find them & recover what's mine.

Do you have a very particular set of skills. Skills you have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make you a nightmare for people like these these. :lol:

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » February 7th, 2021, 6:15 pm

Avantegarde wrote:It is amazing what you can sell on Ebay. But my experience is that it takes about half an hour to list each individual item (taking photos, uploading photos, writing the listing, checking the likely postage costs, deciding what to do about foreign buyers, checking the draft advert etc). Then about 25% of your gross selling price will be sucked up by ebay listing and selling charges, and Paypal costs. Sorry if you know all this anyway. But unless I expect to clear at least £10 per item I give it away to a charity shop.

One thing which minimises the cost of sale is to keep an eye out for eBay's regular 'sell for £1' offers - which it was this weekend.

The couple of items I put on yesterday sold this afternoon, so £100 in my bank after fees and postage, and the eBay fees were only £2 and £4.50 for PayPal.

Return to “Living Below Your Means”