Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Moving to all Electric

Making your money go further
AF62
Lemon Quarter

Re: Moving to all Electric

Postby AF62 » February 17th, 2021, 10:52 am

dspp wrote:Turning to that photo of yours. Firstly if you don't know the provenance then why post it. Secondly wind turbine blades are recyclable, just like any primarily GRP structure - the best pathway at the moment is to use them to co-fire cement plants where the glass ends up as reinforcement in concrete (3mm chopped strand glass is often added into concrete for strength). There are other recycling pathways, and looking at that picture I have a suspicion that the blades are part of an engineered civil structure but that is just a guess from some of the detailing.

regards, dspp

The photo came from Bloomberg about the disposal of blades in America - https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features ... -landfills

The article references using them in cement plants with the comment "In the European Union, which strictly regulates material that can go into landfills, some blades are burned in kilns that create cement or in power plants. But their energy content is weak and uneven and the burning fiberglass emits pollutants".

It seems that they are trying to find better ways to deal with it, but "Until then, municipal and commercial dumps will take most of the waste, which the American Wind Energy Association in Washington says is safest and cheapest" .

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » February 17th, 2021, 11:06 am

dspp wrote:That particular wind turbine (which is an Enercon by the way) was not erected in order to provide cost-effective generation. It was erected partly as an architectural statement and primarily for marketing purposes. The clue is in the name, Green Park, which was a large development. I used to live fairly nearby it, and at the time was heavily involved in designing & manufacturing & installing wind turbines. Our analysis of windspeeds in that area of the UK were that they were unsuitable for wind turbines at the time. The right thing to install in that area is and was solar PV.

regards, dspp

Thanks for the info, and yes very disturbing. Not quite as disturbing as seeing it whipping around at about one whole revolution every 30 seconds on a near flat calm day with hardly a breath of wind. That must be dragging a massive amount of power from the grid to spin such a huge turbine, so fast.

Conversely, on a day with moderate wind and it is not spinning, if you watch it really closely over the mile or two you can see it from on the approach, it never totally still and always turns ever so slowly. Maybe through 5 degrees in 30 seconds. Presumably to stop the bearings seizing if totally stopped.

On a related note, on another forum there is a chap who says he used to work on a ship delivering diesel fuel to the off shore wind turbines. He reckons they consume quite large quantities of diesel for some reason he could never explain. Is this likely or true, do you happen to know?

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » February 17th, 2021, 11:52 am

Mike4 wrote:
dspp wrote:That particular wind turbine (which is an Enercon by the way) was not erected in order to provide cost-effective generation. It was erected partly as an architectural statement and primarily for marketing purposes. The clue is in the name, Green Park, which was a large development. I used to live fairly nearby it, and at the time was heavily involved in designing & manufacturing & installing wind turbines. Our analysis of windspeeds in that area of the UK were that they were unsuitable for wind turbines at the time. The right thing to install in that area is and was solar PV.

regards, dspp

Thanks for the info, and yes very disturbing. Not quite as disturbing as seeing it whipping around at about one whole revolution every 30 seconds on a near flat calm day with hardly a breath of wind. That must be dragging a massive amount of power from the grid to spin such a huge turbine, so fast.

Conversely, on a day with moderate wind and it is not spinning, if you watch it really closely over the mile or two you can see it from on the approach, it never totally still and always turns ever so slowly. Maybe through 5 degrees in 30 seconds. Presumably to stop the bearings seizing if totally stopped.

On a related note, on another forum there is a chap who says he used to work on a ship delivering diesel fuel to the off shore wind turbines. He reckons they consume quite large quantities of diesel for some reason he could never explain. Is this likely or true, do you happen to know?

It is a trivial amount of power to turn over (idle) a large turbine - there is very little aero drag at idling speeds, and so it is just bearing frictional losses. A washing machine motor could do it. Not all large turbines have an idling mode, but the Enercons do. It mean they kick in to power generation faster and at earlier wind speeds which is primarily why it is done, not really to protect the bearings. (The bearings will be fine for very prolonged shutdowns, we are talking modern rolling element bearings, not white metal bearings). Anyway see http://planning.southkesteven.gov.uk/SK ... 791211.pdf and look at p12 if you want some info.

My personal opinion is that the Green Park turbine is poorly managed which is why it is so often off-line. It was never intended as a genuine power producer and is not operated to be one. It is not a good example of what should be a serious subject and gets the whole industry a bad reputation. We all knew this and we were all appalled from the get go. But don't blame Enercon as it is not their fault. Blame the Green Park owner/developer/architect.

Offshore the amount of diesel used is once again trivial in comparison to the energy generated. Not all offshore units use diesel, it depends a lot on the design philosophy of each individual wind farm as to whether there is the capability to deliver power in both directions. A fully de-energised turbine (rotor brake on, rotor lock in, yaw brake on, main export isolated) still needs auxiliary power so as to carry out maintenance activities, run air movement fans, run auxiliaries and control, crew access systems, emergency systems, lighting and comms systems. These are serious bits of complex industrial kit. Depending on design philosophy some may put a diesel genset on termporarily, others may build it in permanently. There are different views on the best way to do this, and I expect those views will evolve as we move to ever-bigger turbines, and to more floaters.

regards, dspp

airbus330
Lemon Slice

Postby airbus330 » February 17th, 2021, 12:42 pm

@dspp well I guess you can see why I posted the picture now, it elicited a lot of info that I didn't know. Cheers :D

taken2often
Lemon Slice

Postby taken2often » February 17th, 2021, 6:19 pm

Grenfell was mentioned. Another case of over reaction. Causing the ruination of many, due to the unnecessary removal of insulation. The design of high rise flats was based on the concrete box design. Stay in your box and you would be safe. New insulation was fitted ok questions about suitability of materials, fine. What needed to change was the fire rating. The box was no longer safe. It appeared that there was plenty of time to evacuate the building, no one would have died. So rather than remove the cladding upgrade the fire prevention and alarm system and inform the residents to evacuate in an orderly manner. That's why they all have fire proof stairwells.

I do not think any one could imagine the progress of this fire. The fire service personnel who should have had some training in Multi Story fires should have immediately appreciated that this was non standard. We live and learn.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » February 18th, 2021, 10:08 am

taken2often wrote:It appeared that there was plenty of time to evacuate the building, no one would have died.

Only if you didn't have elderly and disabled residents living on high floors, which you did, so that would have meant the council changing its housing policy. And even if you did, the issue of unauthorised subletting still exists, where nobody knew who actually was living in the building.

taken2often wrote:So rather than remove the cladding upgrade the fire prevention and alarm system and inform the residents to evacuate in an orderly manner. That's why they all have fire proof stairwells.

Having worked for many years in a 40 storey office block and experienced many fire drills walking down the emergency stairwell, the concept of an evacuation in an "orderly manner" of residents from a high rise building is fanciful. Unless you have someone like Rick Rescorla (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Rescorla) then with the alarms sounding people still say "ok, I will leave when I have finished this email" .

And that is before you get all the false alarms that come with a high rise residential social housing - how many times would you get out of bed at 3am in January and walk down 20 flights of stairs and stand outside for an hour before being told it was a false alarm due to someone pressing the alarm button for a laugh or smoking in the lift?

taken2often
Lemon Slice

Postby taken2often » February 20th, 2021, 11:24 pm

Your right, but I was talking about the time the Fire Service arrived. They should have instantly seen that this was a fire outwith all norms and called for evacuation. Also What you mention means that all tall buildings should have Resident emergency teams who know, who and where the vulnerable
are. This would be easier than recladding or removing cladding from thousands of building at a cost lots of people cannot afford.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » February 21st, 2021, 5:40 am

taken2often wrote:Your right, but I was talking about the time the Fire Service arrived. They should have instantly seen that this was a fire outwith all norms and called for evacuation.

I think the Fire Brigade were between a rock and a hard place; follow tried and tested set procedures despite the scene in front of them or do something nobody had trained for and hope it works. The former clearly didn’t work but the latter puts the rescuers at risk of death and injury and those in charge liable to manslaughter charges if it goes wrong.

The Fire Brigade leadership was rightly criticised for saying they wouldn’t do anything different in the future based on their experience that night, but that isn’t the same as trying to create a rescue strategy on the night with no forethought.

taken2often wrote:Also What you mention means that all tall buildings should have Resident emergency teams who know, who and where the vulnerable are. This would be easier than recladding or removing cladding from thousands of building at a cost lots of people cannot afford.

In such buildings nobody even knows the names of their neighbours, let alone whether they are vulnerable. Heck, the council who owned the building and rented the flats out didn’t even know who was living there!

The cost of removing and replacing the cladding should fall to all the companies who distorted the truth about the products supplied, chose inappropriate products, or failed to install the products correctly. But that won’t happen as the crooks will just hide behind the protection of their corporate shield.

taken2often
Lemon Slice

Postby taken2often » February 21st, 2021, 12:58 pm

Think the Brigade are in the current position of no one making real decisions anymore. A woman died in a hole in Scotland a few years ago due to management indecision, change of rules, protocols etc. Competent fireperson's standing round for hours not allowed to rescue her.

The client and their team decided and approved the cladding. They ask the questions, determine the quality and what they want to pay. No doubt the manufacturers supplied brochures on their product, but only put the limitations in fine print on the back page. Then you have the contractor and the current theme cheap cheap cheap to get the contract. The council obviously want to unload the blame on to any one other than them.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » February 21st, 2021, 1:08 pm

taken2often wrote:Think the Brigade are in the current position of no one making real decisions anymore. A woman died in a hole in Scotland a few years ago due to management indecision, change of rules, protocols etc. Competent fireperson's standing round for hours not allowed to rescue her.

The client and their team decided and approved the cladding. They ask the questions, determine the quality and what they want to pay. No doubt the manufacturers supplied brochures on their product, but only put the limitations in fine print on the back page. Then you have the contractor and the current theme cheap cheap cheap to get the contract. The council obviously want to unload the blame on to any one other than them.

I agree, this is a manifestation of the British disease. Always buy the cheapest even if only by a penny, look no further than the price (especially in the world of building contracts). We are all guilty at times of this I'm sure.

Thing is, there is no-one to blame other than British human nature and our predilection for always buying the cheapest. This leads to never-ending cheese-paring on quality with no-one ever calling a halt to the endless and corresponding reductions in quality. It that frog-boiling thing again.

taken2often
Lemon Slice

Postby taken2often » February 21st, 2021, 2:43 pm

Thanks about getting back to the point. The Regulator must be allowing the energy companies to make these wild statements about only green energy coming up the wire. Some are even paying extra for green.

As i previously stated, in the last two coldest weeks I have been running at £2.25 per day for all my power needs, heating 24/7 constant hot water on the basic best tariff.

Due to my interest in this subject I have been inundated with adverts and information about green and electric energy. This has got me thinking

What if Gas Boilers have the VW effect in that the 90% efficiency is only possible in ideal pristine conditions. How do you quantify loss of heat through the piping system and drafts. How much extra energy due you really use when you have a time clock. An air heater convector gives instant comfort and switches off when its thermostat reaches temperature. A wet radiator system absorbs heat into the fabric of the building until the whole room meets the thermostatic level. Could this explain the low cost of gas KWH in relation to Electric being on 24/7 with a 100% efficiency.

The Calorific Value has always made me nervous as well. Texas is turning out to be interesting, perhaps putting green logic to the test.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » February 21st, 2021, 3:00 pm

taken2often wrote:What if Gas Boilers have the VW effect in that the 90% efficiency is only possible in ideal pristine conditions.

What makes you think that phrase "What if" belongs there at the beginning?

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » February 21st, 2021, 4:51 pm

taken2often wrote:Think the Brigade are in the current position of no one making real decisions anymore. A woman died in a hole in Scotland a few years ago due to management indecision, change of rules, protocols etc. Competent fireperson's standing round for hours not allowed to rescue her.

Perhaps you should ask the widow and family of Paul Metcalf why there are such rules and protocols.

Mr Metcalf was a competent member of the Lancashire fire brigade when he and a number of his colleagues tried to save a student from drowning, but unfortunately he got caught on an underwater obstacle and drowned.

But anyway, back to the topic.

taken2often wrote:Texas is turning out to be interesting, perhaps putting green logic to the test.

Not sure it is "green logic" that caused Texas to detach itself from the rest of the American grid, so meaning they had no backup; more like profiteering.

Wind shutdowns accounted for less than 13% of the outages in Texas, with the primary reason for electricity shortages being issues with the natural gas system - but that doesn't make a good story on Twitter.

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » February 21st, 2021, 6:35 pm

taken2often wrote:Thanks about getting back to the point. ................An air heater convector gives instant comfort and switches off when its thermostat reaches temperature. A wet radiator system absorbs heat into the fabric of the building until the whole room meets the thermostatic level. Could this explain the low cost of gas KWH in relation to Electric being on 24/7 with a 100% efficiency.

The Calorific Value has always made me nervous as well. Texas is turning out to be interesting, perhaps putting green logic to the test.

Sigh.

The temperature controller that switches on/off the gas-fired-boiler-feeding-liquid-radiators is the same temperature controller that switches on/off electric-air-fans. It doesn't care whether the room is becoming warm because of a wood-fired-stove was lit, or whether there are two teenagers engaging in a romp on the sofa, or whether the sun shone through the window, or what. The room is the same room in both case, leaking more or less heat into the external world, via better or worse insulated walls, that have more or less ability to hold heat.

I often bewail the poor level of science education in this country. If I had my way children who could not explain this stuff would not graduate school (or some other stuff that I am not supposed to even think). Arghhhhh ...........*

taken2often wrote:Texas is turning out to be interesting, perhaps putting green logic to the test.

Most of what went off in Texas / ERCOT was oil/gas wells freezing due to the (very watery) liquids coming out of the reservoirs along with the gas/oil, literally freezing into either ice, or slush puppies, or hydrates. Or similar stuff happening at the power stations.

taken2often wrote:The Regulator must be allowing the energy companies to make these wild statements

The regulators know the science/engineering/economics of all this, they are not stupid. Unlike the politicians who control them, and the media and voters who scream and scream and etc. (see *my point *)

regards, dspp

xeny
Lemon Slice

Postby xeny » February 21st, 2021, 6:45 pm

AF62 wrote:Not sure it is "green logic" that caused Texas to detach itself from the rest of the American grid, so meaning they had no backup; more like profiteering.

This article suggests it is due to a dislike of federal regulation: https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/02 ... heres-why/

"By purposely keeping its grid within the borders of Texas, the state limited the impact of federal standards and regulations. This deep-seated aversion to regulation recently prompted former US Energy secretary and Texas Governor Rick Perry to quip, "Texans would be without electricity for longer than three days to keep the federal government out of their business.”"

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » February 21st, 2021, 6:46 pm

dspp wrote:The temperature controller that switches on/off the gas-fired-boiler-feeding-liquid-radiators is the same temperature controller that switches on/off electric-air-fans. It doesn't care whether the room is becoming warm because of a wood-fired-stove was lit, or whether there are two teenagers engaging in a romp on the sofa, or whether the sun shone through the window, or what. The room is the same room in both case, leaking more or less heat into the external world, via better or worse insulated walls, that have more or less ability to hold heat.

Yes, an interesting way of looking at it is that the only heat you ever pay for, over the long term, is that which escapes your house, through doors, walls, roof, windows, cracks etc.

Easily answers the questions of - how important is insulation (very) and is it better to leave the heating on all day even if you're not at home (no of course not).

Scott.

taken2often
Lemon Slice

Postby taken2often » February 21st, 2021, 10:35 pm

DSPP makes a statement about thermostats, that I do not agree with. A 3kw Fan heater sitting in the middle of the room, will raise the comfort level very fast and then switch off. A wall mounted radiator of any type takes time to heat up, that heat is being absorb by the fabric off the building so it can take some time to bring the room up to comfort level.

This brings me to your point Scott. With a time clock, obviously depending on insulation and drafts the temperature could be well below the recovery time to bring the room up. My flat never goes below 16 degrees, even then it can take some time to come up to 21. Ok I have high ceilings and tall and wide windows, but I now find my running cost spot on.

It is considered one of the best systems under good insulation condition the Air Sourced or ground sourced heat pump, combined with a good concrete based underfloor system that takes very little power to maintain the mass heat once established at the beginning of the season. This is run as a constant at the preset temp

The idea that switched off saves money switched on costs money is held by many

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » February 22nd, 2021, 11:53 am

taken2often wrote:DSPP makes a statement about thermostats, that I do not agree with. A 3kw Fan heater sitting in the middle of the room, will raise the comfort level very fast and then switch off. A wall mounted radiator of any type takes time to heat up, that heat is being absorb by the fabric off the building so it can take some time to bring the room up to comfort level.

This brings me to your point Scott. With a time clock, obviously depending on insulation and drafts the temperature could be well below the recovery time to bring the room up. My flat never goes below 16 degrees, even then it can take some time to come up to 21. Ok I have high ceilings and tall and wide windows, but I now find my running cost spot on.

It is considered one of the best systems under good insulation condition the Air Sourced or ground sourced heat pump, combined with a good concrete based underfloor system that takes very little power to maintain the mass heat once established at the beginning of the season. This is run as a constant at the preset temp

The idea that switched off saves money switched on costs money is held by many

This is a matter of science & engineering, so we can determine a correct answer if we examine things carefully.

Let's say the room starts at 15C. The thermostat is set to 20C. The fan heater is switched on, and runs for (say) 15-mins and raises the local air temperature to the 20C, and the fan heater switches off.

Now the local air temperature is 20C, but the plaster & bricks & woodwork & general building fabric are only just a smidge over 15C. So what happens is that heat starts quite rapidly leaking into the building fabric. Typically the thermostat will have a hysterisis of about 1C, so when the local air temperature falls to 19C the fan will come back on. Basically for the first few hours the fan will be operating pretty constantly bringing the adjacent parts of the building fabric up to 20C.

You can now see that see far as the thermostat is concerned it does not matter what the heat source is. Whether it is a gas-fed wet loop radiator or a electric fan heater, or a pair of exercising sweaty teenagers, it is all the same to the thermostat.

As an extension of this you will now be able to explain to your friends & family why it is better - if possible - to install insulation on the outside of a building's fabric, rather than the inside. As a thought experiment consider what the local air temperature curve will look like in a small room as the sun crosses the window .....

regards,
dspp

taken2often
Lemon Slice

Postby taken2often » February 22nd, 2021, 7:02 pm

I see what you say, but I am on about time clocks. I keep all my rooms at a minimum of 16. During the last few weeks we have had out side temps of -2.
Who knows what the interior temp would be if heating off from say 8.30 until 6.00pm. The fan heater would give you the quick comfort boost but would have to stay on longer. Cold always attracts heat. I just think if you keep a base heat it is cheaper to get up to temp. This is whats showing up on my usage.

taken2often
Lemon Slice

Postby taken2often » February 25th, 2021, 7:23 pm

Watched a YouTube video. Trust the Americans to have a name for it Hyhdronic Heating. This is moving from old style gas boilers to the new Condensing Boilers. This person was saying that heating engineers were not explaining to the client. The difference in operation between them, and in turn they did not get the benefit. The problem time clocks. These new boilers need time because they operate at lower temps. So they should be on all the time but operate within a range of temps, say 15/16 when no one in and 21 when in. This would be the most economical. So regardless of system this is the most efficient. My new electric system seems to be very cost effective using this system. The really cold weather it was operating at £2.46 per day. With the change of weather this dropped during the last week to £1.40 and that's no less than 16c minimum all rooms 24/7.

Return to “Living Below Your Means”