Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Gas and Electricty

Making your money go further
Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Re: Gas and Electricty

Postby Sunnypad » October 2nd, 2021, 6:14 pm

richfool wrote:I'm currently on a 1 year fixed tariff with EOn which runs out on 18th November 2021. When I looked a few weeks back, they were suggesting a much dearer new fixed tariff to replace it (over double the cost). They have since withdrawn that one and are currently offering an even dearer one! I am therefore rapidly coming to the conclusion that I should stick with the current one until it expires and then see what variable tariff I end up with, on the assumption that it will at least be subject to the new price cap, and then see what transpires with energy tariffs generally at (if not beyond) that time.

I think this is going to be the future, sadly. I am looking to move and one big reason was extra space. If it's now going to cost a fortune to heat the place, it might be less of a factor.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » October 3rd, 2021, 10:18 am

Got an email from Igloo asking for a meter reading, presumably for the transfer to another supplier.

Their website is open for anyone who hasn't captured their account status with credit balance etc.

Scott.

-

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » October 3rd, 2021, 4:17 pm

Laughton wrote:Mine is one of those that have gone today (Symbio).
Oh well, it was good while it lasted (a couple of years).

Just have to wait now to find out which company I'm being asigned to before logging on to gocompare again.

The lights and TV are still working - so no mad rush.

=========================

symbio have been very poor this year - uncontactable and not accepting my meter readings .

collapsing on the 29th sept , they still took my direct debit on oct 1st .

fraud??

:x

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » October 3rd, 2021, 7:41 pm

jackdaww wrote:=========================

symbio have been very poor this year - uncontactable and not accepting my meter readings .

collapsing on the 29th sept , they still took my direct debit on oct 1st .

fraud??

:x

Utility Point claimed a direct debit from me on 20th September, having ceased trading on 14th.

I think their systems simply continue for a while, I very much doubt it is fraud.

As it happened, I'd cancelled my mandate so the money didn't leave my account (I was already well over £100 in credit so didn't see the need to allow it to get any higher).

I've subsequently asked my bank to reinstate it as EDF say they can transfer it, and if there is no direct debit they will put me on a higher tariff. So to avoid any hassle, reinstating seemed the best option.

Fluke
Lemon Slice

Postby Fluke » October 5th, 2021, 3:32 pm

Just received an email. Igloo customers are being switched over to E.ON.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » October 5th, 2021, 5:48 pm

Fluke wrote:Just received an email. Igloo customers are being switched over to E.ON.

=====================

heard nothing yet re symbio..

xeny
Lemon Slice

Postby xeny » October 5th, 2021, 8:59 pm

ft.com subhead:

"Cost of Europe’s natural gas contracts soar 23%," which appears to be November contracts up 23% in one day. I suspect we'll see another round of failed companies shortly.

Fluke
Lemon Slice

Postby Fluke » October 5th, 2021, 9:24 pm

Fluke wrote:Just received an email. Igloo customers are being switched over to E.ON.

I missed a bit, it's E.ON Next, about which they say this:

We’ve provided 100% renewable electricity as standard and at no extra cost for all our customers’ homes for almost two years. Now, through E.ON Next, we’re giving people simple ways to make their heating and hot water and their driving more sustainable. In addition to greener tariffs, we offer a range of solutions to help people better manage their energy through smart, personalised and sustainable technologies, so we can all play our part in meeting the nation’s net zero ambitions.

Just when I thought I wasn't going to receive anymore smart meter emails.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » October 5th, 2021, 10:21 pm

jackdaww wrote:.

=====================

============================

just heard - its EON next - whatever that is .

funduffer
Lemon Quarter

Postby funduffer » October 8th, 2021, 6:58 am

Perhaps the best commentary on why we have an energy crisis currently, from Dieter Helm, an Oxford professor on energy matters

http://www.dieterhelm.co.uk/assets/secu ... .10.21.pdf

Worth a read as he explains almost everything about the current crisis.

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » October 8th, 2021, 8:36 am

funduffer wrote:Perhaps the best commentary on why we have an energy crisis currently, from Dieter Helm, an Oxford professor on energy matters

who would have guessed that from a university Don...its the governments fault !!!

well OK I think we all know that............but he glosses over the contribution of students and university teachers back in the 60s who made mountains against nuclear increases in capacity
they and a handful of oddballs prevented consecutive governments building what would now be additional energy production capacity

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » October 8th, 2021, 9:21 am

jackdaww wrote:

=====================

===========================

i have been paying £1150 yearly for around 9000kw - electricity only .

current quotes are at least £2000 +

so nearly double - just like that ..

:shock:

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » October 8th, 2021, 11:58 am

jackdaww wrote:
jackdaww wrote:

=====================

===========================

i have been paying £1150 yearly for around 9000kw - electricity only .

current quotes are at least £2000 +

so nearly double - just like that ..

:shock:

And I thought it was gas that had shot up...

Presumably the leccy price hike is due to much of it being generated by gas fueled power stations, or is there more to it than that?

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » October 8th, 2021, 12:28 pm

staffordian wrote:
And I thought it was gas that had shot up...

Presumably the leccy price hike is due to much of it being generated by gas fueled power stations, or is there more to it than that?

Yes, as of today 56.2% of electricity produced in the UK is coming from gas powered generation (https://carbonintensity.org.uk/) Though here in Scotland at the moment none of our electricity is being produced by gas generation. Mostly wind and hydro for Northern Scotland (85% wind 14% hydro balance nuclear), carbon Intensity 0g C02/kWh; Southern Scotland mostly wind and nuclear (59% wind 36% nuclear), carbon intensity 10g CO2/kWh. Maybe we should get cheaper electricity up here due to the minimal gas usage.

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » October 8th, 2021, 5:18 pm

Interesting. Just logged on to my bank account and SSE (OVO) have put up my direct debit without telling me and I'm well in credit, a credit which is increasing at the moment (it might not once it starts getting cold, but even then the present credit will more than cover the winter as its 6x the direct debit amount).

I got the run around on the phone. Phoned the (OVO) number on my last email from SSE. Didn't recognise the account number (you have to key in) then, when I eventually get through, told that they haven't transferred the SSE accounts to OVO yet and I need to phone an SSE number (which they give me). That number is no longer in use and an automated message gives me another number. That gets me through to an Indian call centre that can't deal with the problem. They put me through to the final bills department who can't deal with the problem, I suggest that they put me through to someone who can, they cut me off. Phone the SSE number again (ignore the bit about typing in your account number - just press # as they just ask you the account number again when they pick up). Finally get someone who can deal with it. Ask that they refund the difference between the old an new DD and reset the DD back to the old amount. I mention they could return the credit as well - but they ignore that. We'll see if they actually do any of what they promise, but I'm not impressed.

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » October 9th, 2021, 8:57 am

FAO...Daveh

i suspect thats pretty much going to be the norm
each will blame the other

bust company not at fault because not trading
new supplier not at fault because bust company etc etc

I am (was) AVRO....I have 2 nice emails from Octopus telling me thats where I am being put
no mention of cost...........I KNOW the tarif from MSE
BUT I do not know how much Octopus intend to take from me

as with your case...it would be 'nice' if they told us/me
am also well in credit but wife still doesnt like all the christmas pressies i give each year (jumpers)...so am expecting higher costs!!

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » October 9th, 2021, 4:50 pm

Except I've not changed company, just that SSE sold its customer business to OVO last year. I thought they were supposed to inform you in advance if they change the amount of your direct debit. I feel they were just trying it on hoping customers wouldn't notice. I'm in credit equivalent to 6months of payments, and the credit is still growing. That may change in the winter and with the October price increase, but I think I'll still be well in credit at the end of the winter. I'm going to wait until April when the cap will reset again, then look and see if switching will be sensible.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » October 9th, 2021, 5:16 pm

daveh wrote: I thought they were supposed to inform you in advance if they change the amount of your direct debit.

You ARE supposed to be noitfied
they have broken the law :roll:
https://www.directdebit.co.uk/DirectDeb ... antee.aspx

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » October 9th, 2021, 5:25 pm

jackdaww wrote:
jackdaww wrote:

=====================

"EON Next" is EON - But you gotta pay monthly! No option. It's why I am now with British Gas for electricity, as well as gas.
Last edited by XFool on October 9th, 2021, 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » October 9th, 2021, 5:31 pm

funduffer wrote:Perhaps the best commentary on why we have an energy crisis currently, from Dieter Helm, an Oxford professor on energy matters

Quite so. I already referenced this elsewhere. Worth quoting the last paragraph again, in full, IMO:

"What the gas crisis has really done is to highlight where customers are coming from, and to knock down the pack of cards that is supply competition. Instead of simply assuming that customers want to switch and that suppliers have the interests of their customers in mind, ideologies have trumped these. The implication of supply competition has always been that customers who do not switch are just stupid, and therefore in the end it is their own fault that they are landed with higher prices. The alternative – that customers are the best judges of their own interests, and do not want to spend their evenings searching the internet amongst the bewildering claims of 70 companies offering them such “good deals”, and what they really want is a secure stable and not volatile supply at a price with a fair rate of return, and to spend as little time and effort on this – has clearly escaped ministers’ and regulators’ minds. As one of those “stupid” customers, I am very glad that I did not switch to the latest bunch of companies going bust. Frankly, like most customers, I have better things to do."

Return to “Living Below Your Means”