Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Energy Fixed Tariff Decision Day

Making your money go further
terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Energy Fixed Tariff Decision Day

Postby terminal7 » October 31st, 2021, 10:10 am

Just about to come off an 18 month fixed dual tariff and received the email with the three mouth-watering choices - 2 year fixed, 1 year fixed or variable with corresponding increases of electricity/gas from +52%/+70% for the latter all the way through to +140%/+290% for a 1 year fixed. The 2 year fixed 'only' +106%/236%. I will look at other suppliers to see how they compare,

My initial view is to change to variable and play the market next Spring when current cap expires. Of course the energy situation may deteriorate even further by next Spring but as I see the downside is greater than the upside in terms of tariffs.

T7

airbus330
Lemon Slice

Re: Energy Fixed Tariff Decision Day

Postby airbus330 » November 1st, 2021, 10:26 am

FWIW Uswitch and MoneySavingExpert are giving advice that in this situation, you should stick with the standard variable tariff that is capped, for the time being. I read a snippit a few days ago that gas prices in the bulk market had begun to stabilise, so presumably the expectation is for a fall back in the Spring. I'm in the same situation and none of the fixed tariffs on offer in my area are worth taking.

Return to “Living Below Your Means”