Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Pre-electric shave lotions

Making your money go further
stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Pre-electric shave lotions

Postby stevensfo » November 9th, 2021, 7:14 pm

A firm believer in LBYM, my discovery as a student that creamy, glycerin-rich soap was as good as shaving foam meant that I haven't used a can of foam for over 40 years. A splash of cold water worked as well as After-Shave. However, one of my weaknesses has always been expensive eau de toilettes, and when I replaced my electric shaver, I discovered something called pre-electric shave lotions and decided to try some.

I was not terribly impressed but at least I know that these liquids are more or less eau de colognes with more glycerin and other skin-protecting compounds, so can be used as splash-on smellies.

A comment on a forum took me to Boots where I bought their Boots Freshwood Pre-shave lotion for about £3.

To cut a long story short, it's brilliant and works much better than the far more expensive alternatives. The stuff that comes out of the foil head looks different to what I see with other lotions and the skin feels better.

Please keep it to yourself. If Boots twigs the truth, they'll market it for £20!

Steve

servodude
Lemon Half

Re: Pre-electric shave lotions

Postby servodude » November 10th, 2021, 3:50 am

stevensfo wrote:A firm believer in LBYM, my discovery as a student that creamy, glycerin-rich soap was as good as shaving foam meant that I haven't used a can of foam for over 40 years.

On a similar vein, as a student I took up shaving with oil rather than foam (as I had to negotiate some stitches) soon discovering "Vaseline Hair Tonic" like this
works every bit as well as dedicated shave oil
for a fraction of the cost

At the current rate of two shaves a year I'll be bequeathing what I have left

- sd

Return to “Living Below Your Means”