Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

New energy tariffs - real info please ?

Making your money go further
pje16
Lemon Half

Re: New energy tariffs - real info please ?

Postby pje16 » March 17th, 2022, 8:50 am

swill453 wrote:
staffordian wrote:
pje16 wrote:Same here
I'm with Shell, who emailed me on 23 Feb about the April rates
Electricity Daily 37.92 and Usage 29.239
Gas Daily 27.22 and Usage 7.344

Are those rates exclusive of 5% VAT?

My capped rates inc. VAT from April are

Elec daily 48.13 and usage 27.86

Gas 27.22 and 7.367

This is in the West Midlands

Edit. Looking more closely, I guess yours are inclusive of VAT. I was just considering the low electricity standing charge. But I suspect your tariff simply proves my point that companies have some scope to tweak the cap, by lowering the standing charge and raising the usage rate.

But the cap is literally a cap on those usage rates etc. For example, the average capped rate for electricity is 28p per kWh. "Regional variations" are allowed, but I'm surprised it would be allowed to go as high as pje16's 29.239p per kWh.

Are we sure that's a capped rate tariff?

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/information-co ... ffects-you

Scott.

That's the rate thay told me it was
I does seem a bit high
and if it is come 1st April I will move elsewhere
I am an energy "tart" having been with pretty much all of them over the past 30 odd years

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » March 17th, 2022, 9:00 am

pje16 wrote:That's the rate thay told me it was

I'm sure it's what they quoted you, but the question is - is it their capped rate tariff?

Scott.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » March 17th, 2022, 9:02 am

Yes, here's what they said

"How the price cap change affects you
Hello Paul,
We’ve recently been in touch with you about rising prices in the energy market, what we’re doing to support our customers during this time and how the latest price cap might affect you.
The price cap is calculated by Ofgem (the UK’s energy regulator) to reflect a fair price, based on the true costs of supplying energy to the home.
Our prices are changing to reflect high wholesale energy costs in line with Ofgem’s latest price cap review.
This means that the amount you pay for your energy is changing on Friday 1 April 2022 when you move to our new Flexible 7 tariff.
You don’t need to do anything as this change will take place automatically."

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » March 17th, 2022, 9:14 am

pje16 wrote:Yes, here's what they said

Hello Paul,
We’ve recently been in touch with you about rising prices in the energy market, what we’re doing to support our customers during this time and how the latest price cap might affect you.
The price cap is calculated by Ofgem (the UK’s energy regulator) to reflect a fair price, based on the true costs of supplying energy to the home.
Our prices are changing to reflect high wholesale energy costs in line with Ofgem’s latest price cap review.
This means that the amount you pay for your energy is changing on Friday 1 April 2022 when you move to our new Flexible 7 tariff.

Looking at the Shell website, the London area* (that's where you are?) numbers for their Flexible 7 tariff show as

Elec 32.14 per day 29.632 usage

Gas 27.22 per day 7.517 usage.

I'm assuming these are the April 22 onwards figures as 54% on top of those would be rather scary :o

*You have to input a postcode to get regional raters, I used one I found for the BBC :)
Last edited by staffordian on March 17th, 2022, 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » March 17th, 2022, 9:14 am

pje16 wrote:This means that the amount you pay for your energy is changing on Friday 1 April 2022 when you move to our new Flexible 7 tariff.

So not capped then, be worth checking whether you'd be better moving to their capped rate.

Scott.

scotview
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotview » March 17th, 2022, 9:17 am

staffordian wrote: strangely, rates differ by area, so digging into individual suppliers' websites is probably the only way to get absolute data

Thanks for the reply staffordian. Yes, that's exactly what I thought and if 25 million other households want to see that information that's exactly what they'll need to do. But even with the energy outcry though, I doubt many will actually look because they are really not bothered.

I'll easily get my own rates no problem. My point is that Ofgem could get an intern to spend a day to transfer all these capped rates onto a spread sheet on two A4 pages and post a pdf on their website. Or better still get a data crawler to extract the stuff.

Interestingly, with the confusion even on this educated TLF site, I think there could be a huge mis selling scandal on the horizon.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » March 17th, 2022, 9:26 am

scotview wrote:Thanks for the reply staffordian. Yes, that's exactly what I thought and if 25 million other households want to see that information that's exactly what they'll need to do. But even with the energy outcry though, I doubt many will actually look because they are really not bothered.

I'll easily get my own rates no problem. My point is that Ofgem could get an intern to spend a day to transfer all these capped rates onto a spread sheet on two A4 pages and post a pdf on their website. Or better still get a data crawler to extract the stuff.

Interestingly, with the confusion even on this educated TLF site, I think there could be a huge mis selling scandal on the horizon.

It's not easy to get hold of tariff information. As part of this discussion I had a look at Shell Energy's web site, but they just say

"New customers
In line with wider industry advice, we recommend that you stay with your existing supplier, as you're unlikely to find a better deal in the market right now.
"

and there's no link to get a quote.

Scott.

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » March 17th, 2022, 9:36 am

SSE (OVO) NE Scotland Standing charge 27.4 to 50.06p and electricity 20.84 to 27.90p

Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Postby Gersemi » March 17th, 2022, 2:40 pm

swill453 wrote:It's not easy to get hold of tariff information. As part of this discussion I had a look at Shell Energy's web site, but they just say

"New customers
In line with wider industry advice, we recommend that you stay with your existing supplier, as you're unlikely to find a better deal in the market right now.
"

and there's no link to get a quote.

Scott.

I get the impression energy companies are not offering variable rate tariffs (ie the capped rate) to new customers, only the much higher fixed rate deals. Looking at MSE's Cheap Energy Club for example, only fixed rate deals come up (and not many of those!)

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » March 17th, 2022, 2:48 pm

SO Energy's Flex rates from 1st April, for me, are
(Economy 7)
Unit rate - electricity - day
30.75p per kWh
Unit rate - electricity - night
22.59p per kWh
Standing charge - electricity
37.98p per day

This includes VAT

Boots
2 Lemon pips

Postby Boots » March 17th, 2022, 3:01 pm

Co-op Energy (supplied by Octopus Energy)

Electricity

Standing charge 37.7370p per day

Economy Seven Unit Charge per kWh
Day 32.0985p
Night 20.7165p

Gas

Standing Charge 27.2160p per day

Unit rate 7.3395 per kWh

It is predicted to be slightly over a +50% price rise for electricity, and almost a 83% rise for gas. They assure us we are on the cheapest blah, blah, blah. All prices include VAT.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » March 17th, 2022, 3:22 pm

staffordian wrote:
pje16 wrote:Yes, here's what they said

Hello Paul,

Looking at the Shell website, the London area* (that's where you are?) numbers for their Flexible 7 tariff show as

Elec 32.14 per day 29.632 usage

Gas 27.22 per day 7.517 usage.

I'm assuming these are the April 22 onwards figures as 54% on top of those would be rather scary :o

*You have to input a postcode to get regional raters, I used one I found for the BBC :)

Thank you very staffordian
Yes Flex7 is post 1 April
I'll have to give them a call
I am postcode NW London but when I log into my account and download my Flexible 7 tariff it is for the Eastern Region !
Which postcode did you use ?

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » March 17th, 2022, 3:32 pm

pje16 wrote:I am postcode NW London but when I log into my account and download my Flexible 7 tariff it is for the Eastern Region !

I think it was W12 7FA. I just googled BBC postcode and entered the first one I saw which looked "Londonish"

I believe it is possible to get a definitive answer to the region you are in by looking at an electricity bill, and there is a code as part of the meter reference or similar, but I can't recall the specifics, I'm afraid.

Edit. It seems to be the first two digits on the bottom row of numbers in the "S number" box. Find yours then google "Distributor ID" to find tables of regions corresponding to those numbers
Last edited by staffordian on March 17th, 2022, 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fisher
Lemon Slice

Postby fisher » March 17th, 2022, 3:38 pm

swill453 wrote:
pje16 wrote:This means that the amount you pay for your energy is changing on Friday 1 April 2022 when you move to our new Flexible 7 tariff.

So not capped then, be worth checking whether you'd be better moving to their capped rate.

Scott.

Flexible 7 is Shell Energy's capped tariff from April 1st. Their current capped tariff is Flexible 6.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » March 17th, 2022, 3:39 pm

staffordian wrote:
pje16 wrote:I am postcode NW London but when I log into my account and download my Flexible 7 tariff it is for the Eastern Region !

I think it was W12 7FA. I just googled BBC postcode and entered the first one I saw which looked "Londonish"

I believe it is possible to get a definitive answer to the region you are in by looking at an electricity bill, and there is a code as part of the meter reference or similar, but I can't recall the specifics, I'm afraid.

Thanks, that is slightly to the east of NW7, where I am
My bill says Eastern region at the top of it
I will try and get the bottom of this later
but thank you as this does look like a glitch

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » March 17th, 2022, 3:41 pm

fisher wrote:Flexible 7 is Shell Energy's capped tariff from April 1st. Their current capped tariff is Flexible 6.

Thanks, I am aware of that

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » March 17th, 2022, 3:41 pm

pje16 wrote:
staffordian wrote:

Thanks, that is slightly to the east of NW7, where I am
My bill says Eastern region at the top of it
I will try and get the bottom of this later
but thank you as this does look like a glitch

See my edited post above re region numbers

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » March 17th, 2022, 3:59 pm

Got it
My MPAN prefix is S10
so
http://dcmf.co.uk/ukpn-epn.html
shows it is Eastern

thanks once again

Edit:
Other MPAN numbers are here
http://dcmf.co.uk/licensed-distributor- ... heets.html

scotview
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotview » March 18th, 2022, 5:00 pm

Thanks to everyone for making such great contributions to the post.

I have been considering installation of a storage battery (non-solar) which was cost effective on Octopus go tariffs. As far as I can see Octopus off peak tariffs have gone from 7p/kWh to about 20p kW/h as of 1st April. This would make the battery installation not cost effective. Have I got the new Octopus off peak tariffs wrong ?

Thanks

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » March 19th, 2022, 3:42 pm

Presumably you were considering a storage battery to store off peak grid supply and then use that stored energy at peak times ? If so surely the important factor is the difference between peak & off peak unit rates rather than the post April off peak quoted rates ?

I'm on a dual rate supply. The difference between peak /off peak now is around 7p per kwh. The difference after the April price increase is 11.5p per kwh.

If the battery supply and installation costs remain the same then the installation is more cost effective after April .

Return to “Living Below Your Means”