Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Energy costs. Oh dear.......

Making your money go further
scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Re: Energy costs. Oh dear.......

Postby scrumpyjack » August 2nd, 2022, 5:44 pm

As I understand it the Government proposed that from 2026 you won't be able to replace your fossil-fuel boiler if you are off the gas grid.

I have no idea of the status of this proposal.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » August 2nd, 2022, 6:16 pm

Mike4 wrote:
BullDog wrote:[
British Gas says -

The main thing to know is that there is no ban in place (or planned!) on gas boilers in the homes we live in today.

From -

https://www.britishgas.co.uk/the-source ... -2025.html

Thanks, but that answers a different question. Not one I get asked much but granted, some people do worry the Gas Police will come round one day and cap off their boiler!

The question that bothers people is "When this boiler packs up, will I be allowed to replace it with a new gas boiler?"

As I read it, the answer is "yes you will". But it's only a matter of time before that situation changes. Of that you can be certain whilst the lunatics remain in control of the asylum.

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » August 3rd, 2022, 11:11 am

If energy companies are making huge profits, why does the price cap have to rise?

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » August 3rd, 2022, 11:16 am

CliffEdge wrote:If energy companies are making huge profits, why does the price cap have to rise?

The price cap applies to retail customers. The suppliers of energy to those retail customers aren't making huge profits. In fact some have gone bust.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » August 3rd, 2022, 11:19 am

dealtn wrote:
CliffEdge wrote:If energy companies are making huge profits, why does the price cap have to rise?

The price cap applies to retail customers. The suppliers of energy to those retail customers aren't making huge profits. In fact some have gone bust.

How BP doing? Suffering much?

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » August 3rd, 2022, 11:27 am

dealtn wrote:The price cap applies to retail customers. The suppliers of energy to those retail customers aren't making huge profits. In fact some have gone bust.

:roll:

Yeah. We know which ones, don't we?

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » August 3rd, 2022, 11:32 am

servodude wrote:
dealtn wrote:

Not that I can see, in fact doing pretty well on a cash generation basis, but less well on a profits basis due to write offs.

However the question referred to the domestic price cap. BP isn't directly supplying this market so a question on how BP's profitability neccisitates a change in the price cap is complicated and not straightforward.

If you wanted a literal interpretation of CliifEdges question using BP as your energy company would it be appropriate to point out that BP has lost $11bn in its last 6 months, not made a profit, let alone a huge one?

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » August 3rd, 2022, 11:50 am

dealtn wrote:
servodude wrote:
dealtn wrote:

Not that I can see, in fact doing pretty well on a cash generation basis, but less well on a profits basis due to write offs.

However the question referred to the domestic price cap. BP isn't directly supplying this market so a question on how BP's profitability neccisitates a change in the price cap is complicated and not straightforward.

If you wanted a literal interpretation of CliifEdges question using BP as your energy company would it be appropriate to point out that BP has lost $11bn in its last 6 months, not made a profit, let alone a huge one?

Would it?
Only if you're considering stuff in an isolated and possibly tendentious context ;) But don't let that stop you

-sd

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » August 3rd, 2022, 11:58 am

An oddity about accounting convention is that if BP say, made £7bn profit then spent that £7bn on say, installing electric car charging points in all the BP garages, the accounts still say they made £7bn profit.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » August 3rd, 2022, 12:06 pm

servodude wrote:
dealtn wrote:
servodude wrote:
dealtn wrote:

Would it?
Only if you're considering stuff in an isolated and possibly tendentious context ;) But don't let that stop you

-sd

I'm not the one considering it in a simple isolated way though. I'm the one saying its complicated. You have a chain from wholesale supplier down to retail consumer, and at one end of that chain you have unprofitable but cash generative companies and the other squeezed consumers of an inelastic product.

How would anyone encapsulate an answer to CliifEdges question? I suggest a flippant use of a company not supplying the retail market where the cap applies, and one not making a profit, isn't the best way to start.

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » August 3rd, 2022, 1:18 pm

dealtn wrote:
servodude wrote:
dealtn wrote:
servodude wrote:
dealtn wrote:

Would it?

-sd

I'm not the one considering it in a simple isolated way though. I'm the one saying its complicated. You have a chain from wholesale supplier down to retail consumer, and at one end of that chain you have unprofitable but cash generative companies and the other squeezed consumers of an inelastic product.

How would anyone encapsulate an answer to CliifEdges question? I suggest a flippant use of a company not supplying the retail market where the cap applies, and one not making a profit, isn't the best way to start.

The implication of what you say is that the current arrangements do not serve the domestic customer well and need to be challenged.
Are the likes of BP ultimately making huge profits out of the likes of me? I don't know.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » August 3rd, 2022, 1:45 pm

CliffEdge wrote:
dealtn wrote:
servodude wrote:
dealtn wrote:
servodude wrote:

Would it?

-sd

The implication of what you say is that the current arrangements do not serve the domestic customer well and need to be challenged.
Are the likes of BP ultimately making huge profits out of the likes of me? I don't know.

Pretty obvious there's a huge, and insulating, disconnect between the generators and consumers.
That's a choice that was made
Now there's another choice as to who bears the cost of that decision when the system breaks... the consumer, or the corporation (/shareholders)?

Why not consider ownership of a utility implicit underwriting?
The business model couldn't have been sustainable if it leads to mass penury; which appears to be a possible outcome?

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » August 3rd, 2022, 2:21 pm

servodude wrote:
CliffEdge wrote:
dealtn wrote:
servodude wrote:
dealtn wrote:

Would it?

-sd

Pretty obvious there's a huge, and insulating, disconnect between the generators and consumers.
That's a choice that was made
Now there's another choice as to who bears the cost of that decision when the system breaks... the consumer, or the corporation (/shareholders)?

Why not consider ownership of a utility implicit underwriting?
The business model couldn't have been sustainable if it leads to mass penury; which appears to be a possible outcome?

I'm not here defending the model, but explaining it.

Similarly a replacement model that relieves such penury but doesn't reward investment and continuous supply (and future societal stability) would also be unsustainable.

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » August 3rd, 2022, 2:36 pm

It's funny, I don't seem to recall there being a flood of sympathy and a desire to contribute when the oil price was $20 a barrel and BP was making huge losses, nor when they lost $70 billion in the Macondo accident?

AFAIAW BP does not supply gas or electricity to UK customers

The vast majority of BPs business is not in the UK

Still why spoil the journalistic narrative with facts?

:D

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » August 3rd, 2022, 2:39 pm

agreed @scrumpyjack
Nor when they lost billions owing to the Deepwater disaster
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deepwater ... _oil_spill

scotview
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotview » August 3rd, 2022, 2:55 pm

pje16 wrote:agreed @scrumpyjack
Nor when they lost billions owing to the Deepwater disaster
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deepwater ... _oil_spill

Good point. There's a bit more to it than that, for all the oil majors.

Firstly, they are not charities.

Secondly, they take HUGE risk when they decide to develop a project. If a project delivers they win, if a project fails they lose massively.

To penalise success will mean less investment in future viable and essential energy projects.

I, for one, do not particularly wish to see development restrictions forced on these vital companies. Energy security isn't an experiment.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » August 3rd, 2022, 3:00 pm

scotview wrote:Secondly, they take HUGE risk when they decide to develop a project. If a project delivers they win, if a project fails they lose massively.

agreed
and if they win the media moans "oooohhhh look at all the profit"
when they lose you never hear about it

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » August 3rd, 2022, 9:33 pm

When my boiler went kaput for a couple of winter weeks during lockdown, I got used to the cold conditions after the first week. Basically stopped noticing it.

I reckon you can reset your expectations, but only if you avoid going anywhere warm.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 3rd, 2022, 10:05 pm

MrFoolish wrote:When my boiler went kaput for a couple of winter weeks during lockdown, I got used to the cold conditions after the first week. Basically stopped noticing it.

I reckon you can reset your expectations, but only if you avoid going anywhere warm.

Exactly. The whole point of being warm-blooded is that we can regulate our own body temperature to a wide range of external conditions, including all the seasons we get in Blighty. If you're not brought up to be warm (other than when the weather is warm), you don't miss it.

Though I do like my hot shower. And very occasional hot bath. Not to mention my hot food & drinks.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » August 3rd, 2022, 10:48 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:Though I do like my hot shower. And very occasional hot bath. Not to mention my hot food & drinks.

Those take a trivial amount of energy compared to keeping the whole of an average family house at 22 degrees C 24/7/365 as most people expect nowadays. When I was a kid only one room in the house was heated - the living room - and I can see that returning.

Some re-calibration is coming whether people like it or not. A bloke on the wireless was pointing out that the gas price will keep on rising until a balance is achieved between demand and supply. The market WILL force consumption down eventually. We just haven't found the balance point yet.

Return to “Living Below Your Means”