Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

FT Subscription

Making your money go further
bruncher
Lemon Quarter

FT Subscription

Postby bruncher » July 7th, 2022, 2:57 pm

I usually have a subscription to the FT, but sometimes wait for them to make me an offer after my sub expires, I think 20% for 'first year' is a regular offer.

What do Fools think about the Premium service? Does anyone have that and is it worth the 100% extra cost? I've noticed more frequently this year I've wanted to read something that is 'premium content'.

I do feel the FT is a worthwhile service and probably the best general newspaper currently in the UK. Maybe I should just pay up the £500 and not look for discounts.

EverybodyKnows
2 Lemon pips

Re: FT Subscription

Postby EverybodyKnows » July 7th, 2022, 6:11 pm

There was a 50% discount on the Matt Forde politics podcast - so I would look for that sort of deal. When I had a sub I felt there were too many articles that were excluded for me to continue it. The comments were often very interesting and different / better from those on other newspapers.

AWOL
Lemon Slice

Postby AWOL » July 8th, 2022, 3:35 am

EverybodyKnows wrote:There was a 50% discount on the Matt Forde politics podcast - so I would look for that sort of deal. When I had a sub I felt there were too many articles that were excluded for me to continue it. The comments were often very interesting and different / better from those on other newspapers.

The contents section seems to have a lot more Russian/Chinese troll farm stooges than they used to. I unsubscribed when John Authors left. I recently discover that you can sign up to a free news letter from him on the Bloomberg website.

I will send you a PM.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » July 8th, 2022, 1:04 pm

bruncher wrote:I do feel the FT is a worthwhile service and probably the best general newspaper currently in the UK. Maybe I should just pay up the £500 and not look for discounts.

I'm paying £306, and still getting all the premium articles. These days they seem to open it out to all the standard rate subscribers, presumably in the hope hat some of them will become sufficiently addicted to pay the higher rate in future?

There are certainly some Russian bots in the comment columns, and a couple of highly amusing Turkish bots who seem to have got their cues from Comical Ali. But there are also a sizeable number of students, presumably on bulk academic subscriptions, who are rapidly making the Personal Finance comment columns unreadable. Any article about property or pensions provokes an instant storm of frenzied yelling about how the evil rentier class Brexit boomers have stolen the housing stock, and all the Treasury's money, and all of everyone else's pensions, and what a good job it is that they're all going to die soon. It would be amusing if it weren't so pathetically predictable. :|

BJ

bruncher
Lemon Quarter

Postby bruncher » July 8th, 2022, 4:56 pm

I'm paying £306, and still getting all the premium articles

Can you access the Lex column?

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » July 8th, 2022, 5:06 pm

bruncher wrote:
I'm paying £306, and still getting all the premium articles

Can you access the Lex column?

Yes, it's all there. I've just checked it. And market alerts, swamp notes and email tip-offs etc. I have a feeling that the FT are having trouble getting people to pay for premium services at the moment, which is why they're giving it away to regular subscribers. That may not last, of course, but if it ends and you want to upgrade it'll be easy. In the meantime, enjoy.

The £306 is VAT inclusive, of course. If you can claim a VAT rebate (I can), then so much the better. ;)

BJ

bruncher
Lemon Quarter

Postby bruncher » July 8th, 2022, 5:16 pm

All they're offering me is standard digital for £239 or premium digital for £484.25

Maybe you have the epaper version?

Return to “Living Below Your Means”