Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Staying warm this winter

Making your money go further
pje16
Lemon Half

Re: Staying warm this winter

Postby pje16 » December 8th, 2022, 12:16 pm

Mike4 wrote:
pje16 wrote:Today it is bleedin' nippy dahn sarf as well :lol:

Temp is rising here in Wiltshire and just hit 0c, according to my Nest.

Alexa is showing the same

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » December 8th, 2022, 3:16 pm

My bathroom was 8C this morning when I got up and lit the central heating, which is a bit on the cool side, but I don't seem to be able to get it to warm easily, it's probably the coldest room in the house. The bedroom is usually between 13-16C in winter, but I like a cold bedroom - the duvet keeps me plenty warm enough. The living room was about 15C this morning when I lit the central heating and had got up to 17C by the time I left. Unfortunately it will be a bit cold tonight and tomorrow as I'm out at a Xmas dinner this evening so the central heating won't get lit until I get home and won't be on very long. The central heating pump goes off a 22:30 (unless the water from the fire gets too hot in which case it comes back on) and I'll be in bed so the central heating will go out.

But at least it is cheap as I supply the logs my self - it just takes work and time to cut, chop, stack and dry them. Wood fired central heating running both hot water and radiators. The water tank is gravity fed and the radiators pumped. The pump is on a controller so it only comes on early morning and in the evening and all but one radiator has thermostatic valves to moderate the room temperatures, and there are also pipe thermostats on the gravity circuit to the hot water tank, so the pump wont come on if the return temperature is too low - minimises the chance of poor combustion and comes on even if the time is wrong if the water temperature leaving the stove is too high - to stop the hot water getting too hot.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » December 8th, 2022, 3:33 pm

Didn't quite make it above freezing today here. It's enlightening monitoring the half hourly energy consumption. Yesterday, for the first time ever my gas use cost me about £8. Today with the weather being a notch colder, I am on target to use £10 of gas. My gas unit price is 3.5x what it was last year. I of course, can afford £10 a day for keeping warm. I feel for those out there who today will have to choose between a proper meal and staying warm enough.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » December 9th, 2022, 2:35 pm

Make yourself a heated seat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrnCDKB1hE0

RC

Return to “Living Below Your Means”