Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Cost of living crisis and you.

Making your money go further

Is the cost of living crisis personally giving you concern for the next couple of years.

You have personally no financial concerns
49%
You have personally some financial concerns
44%
You am personally very concerned.
7%

Total votes: 84

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: Cost of living crisis and you.

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 2nd, 2022, 9:59 am

pje16 wrote:
didds wrote:but frankly telling people to buy a new £20 kettle to save £10 a year is ridiculous.

Agreed
What does save money is something like this
https://www.wilko.com/breville-hotcup-h ... /p/0465193
How many times do boil the kettle for a cuppa, leave it come back 10 mins later and reboil
I have had the Tefal equivalent of one of these for years
(they don't make it anymore)

How on Earth is that marketing gimmick supposed to save anything? Unless your startingpoint is incredibly wasteful!

Is it something to do with modern kettles making life difficult? I hope my current one (about a tenner in 1998) outlasts current fashions for silly shapes that make it harder to judge how much water to boil!

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » September 2nd, 2022, 10:12 am

pje16 wrote:What does save money is something like this
How many times do boil the kettle for a cuppa, leave it come back 10 mins later and reboil

was discussing this area with a chum this morning.

Discussed the measuring of the correct amount of water needed each time (ie dont boil 2 pints for a cup of tea, but just the one cup amount), or boil a kettle and keep the excess hot water in a flask. though that doesn't really work well for tea.

didds

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » September 2nd, 2022, 10:16 am

didds wrote:Discussed the measuring of the correct amount of water needed each time (ie dont boil 2 pints for a cup of tea, but just the one cup amount), or boil a kettle and keep the excess hot water in a flask. though that doesn't really work well for tea.

didds

why mess around with a flask, or faff about judging the amount to boil
a dispenser is much easier, I have used one for years
each to their own though

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » September 2nd, 2022, 10:18 am

pje16 wrote:
didds wrote:Discussed the measuring of the correct amount of water needed each time (ie dont boil 2 pints for a cup of tea, but just the one cup amount), or boil a kettle and keep the excess hot water in a flask. though that doesn't really work well for tea.

didds

why mess around with a flask, or faff about judging the amount to boil
a dispenser is much easier, I have used one for years
each to their own though

indeed.

but if one doesn't already have a dispenser, why spend money buying one to save money - we're back in Johnson's world with that approach.

We could all buy cashmere jumpers and silk longjohns....

Bottom line - its options available in the here and now. whatever the best solution may be.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » September 2nd, 2022, 10:19 am

didds wrote:We could all buy cashmere jumpers and silk longjohns....

Is this a recommendation? :)

V8

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » September 2nd, 2022, 11:09 am

88V8 wrote:I was disappointed to hear Gove , usually a sensible chap, on't wireless responding to a question today... whether people should be told to use less energy by saying "that would be condescending".
Whaaaa?

[..]

This is an opportunity to focus folks' attention on their wastefulness... and the notion that the average idler glued to their phone should be told to do something is not condescending. It's neither hard nor expensive, topping up the loft and sticking some Compriband around wooden windows.
That won't offset a tripling of energy costs, but it certainly helps.

[...]

Those not alive in the 60s mostly have no idea how to be frugal with energy, and it is not condescending to tell them.

V8

I kind of agree, and disagree.

I find it condescending, in the same way that "Fog, slow down" signs on the motorway are condescending - it is blatantly obvious if it is foggy and that I should slow down, and I don't need a sign to tell me, and so it is blatantly obvious if I'm leaving the lights on all day/night, or throwing half a fridge full of food out each week.

And then we see those telly programs, OK they pick the extremes, but there are a huge number of people who have no concept of saving, hard ship, who don't remember fuel spiralling in the early 70s, queues at the pumps, regular power cuts, etc. Even squirrels store stuff for the hard times,but these people haven't experienced them no learnt or been taught the lessons.

Paul

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » September 2nd, 2022, 11:21 am

DrFfybes wrote:[
I find it condescending, in the same way that "Fog, slow down" signs on the motorway are condescending - it is blatantly obvious if it is foggy and that I should slow down, and I don't need a sign to tell me, Paul

Yes - I pretty much agree.

But I recall back in the 80s when there was a terrible multi vehicle pile up on the M25 during thick fog, Where IIRC the fog descended so quickly there were no fog warning signs

https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/nostal ... e-12529367
See section 7.

one bloke was quoted as allegedly saying

"How do the police expect us to drive at 70mph in these conditions".

You can't educate pork.

didds

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » September 2nd, 2022, 11:29 am

Bet no-one mentioned climate change in 1968 (section 4) :lol:

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » September 2nd, 2022, 11:37 am

pje16 wrote:

Bet no-one mentioned climate change in 1968 (section 4) :lol:

They did. I can remember my dad explaining to me about "global dimming", and how all the crud our airlines, power stations etc were pumping into the atmosphere were blotting out the sun and the earth cooling down...

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » September 2nd, 2022, 11:39 am

Mike4 wrote:They did. I can remember my dad explaining to me about "global dimming", and how all the crud our airlines, power stations etc were pumping into the atmosphere were blotting out the sun and the earth cooling down...

A man well ahead of his time, well done him

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 2nd, 2022, 11:50 am

Mike4 wrote:They did. I can remember my dad explaining to me about "global dimming", and how all the crud our airlines, power stations etc were pumping into the atmosphere were blotting out the sun and the earth cooling down...

As has happened at various times through history, most notably from big volcanic events.

The reason they're of relatively little concern is that they're short-term: the Earth corrects itself. Maybe a couple of years of famine at most, then back to normal. Unlike man's burning of carbon.

James
Lemon Slice

Postby James » September 5th, 2022, 5:20 pm

scotview wrote:One other point from the poll which is quite concerning.

Given the nature of the voting TLF population, it is somewhat concerning that there were 3 votes, 5% , who said they were personally very concerned about the cost of living crisis and I would imagine that these are genuine, serious concerns.

I think a number of people come to TLF because they aren't financially secure and want to learn how to be, i.e, not all members are stonking rich.
When I joined TLF's predecessor back in the 90s, my financial situation was v. different to what it is now. If the current situation had occurred then, I would have been severely affected and very concerned.
I imagine there are others here now who are also at the start of that journey.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » September 5th, 2022, 9:37 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:

As has happened at various times through history, most notably from big volcanic events.

The reason they're of relatively little concern is that they're short-term: the Earth corrects itself. Maybe a couple of years of famine at most, then back to normal. Unlike man's burning of carbon.

To be honest the planet could probably do with an extreme short-term correction in order to put things back on track; I think we'd rather try and avoid that though :(

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » September 6th, 2022, 7:44 am

pje16 wrote:
didds wrote:but frankly telling people to buy a new £20 kettle to save £10 a year is ridiculous.

Agreed
What does save money is something like this
I have had the Tefal equivalent of one of these for years
(they don't make it anymore)

I bought one of these 2 years ago......it cost me £29.99. Now it's £45.......opportunistic, profiteering, Brexit etc or just cost of living ?

Return to “Living Below Your Means”