Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6, for Donating to support the site

Cost of Living crisis - kids leaving home

Making your money go further
didds
Lemon Half

Cost of Living crisis - kids leaving home

Postby didds » August 30th, 2022, 10:14 am

I didn't want to hijack another thread, especially as the obvious one today was a poll, but mods please feel free to merge this if deemed sensible.

We've been discussing the COLC but on the whole from a personal/individual/single household viewpoint, but there are other holistic impacts.

It just struck me for young adults still living in the family home it creates another barrier to leaving "home" and getting somewhere independently, even if a shared house. Rents aren't cheap anyway and the deposit scenario enough of a barrier to begin with, but the potential of huge energy bills on top of that may be off putting for some/many in this position, further kicking the can down the road. and in terms of saving for the deposit etc the extra contributions to household expenses at the familial homes further eats into that capability.

didds

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: Cost of Living crisis - kids leaving home

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 30th, 2022, 11:10 am

This is now highly regional. In London it seems rents still dominate to an entirely silly level if you're in the open "market". But that's less true elsewhere: some of the highest projections could have energy bills nudging up against council tax for #2 position in the monthly direct debits, and in low rent areas the two combined could look significant.

As ever, it'll depend on what you earn, and what lifestyle compromises you make. Young people tend to be more flexible than oldies, so if leaving home really matters that's what they'll do. And with all the doom-and-gloom reports, they should be better-prepared for it than some of us were.

xeny
Lemon Slice

Postby xeny » August 30th, 2022, 1:21 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:: some of the highest projections could have energy bills nudging up against council tax for #2 position in the monthly direct debits,

Right now, for me energy bills are a close second to council tax, and this is before the already announced October rise.

PhaseThree

Postby PhaseThree » August 30th, 2022, 9:01 pm

Try the small adds..

"My wife and I have reached the difficult decision that we do not want children. If anybody does, please just send me your contact details and we can drop them off tomorrow."

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » September 1st, 2022, 1:35 pm

PhaseThree wrote:Try the small adds..

"My wife and I have reached the difficult decision that we do not want children. If anybody does, please just send me your contact details and we can drop them off tomorrow."

My mum has a nice b/w photo of a worried-looking woman on the wall with a funny caption: 'Mothers never stop worrying when their children leave home. There's always the fear that they may come back!'

or..

Dad: "Simon?"
Surly teenager upstairs: "What?"
Dad: "I have something to tell you. You're adopted."
Teenager: "Huh! Yeah, I always felt you weren't my real parents!"
Dad: "No, we are your real parents. I mean you're being adopted and they're here!"

8-)

Steve

Return to “Living Below Your Means”