Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

MISTAKES

Making your money go further
taken2often
Lemon Slice

MISTAKES

Postby taken2often » November 24th, 2022, 5:49 pm

This will be a big surprise to many. I make mistakes.This may be helpful and save you some money, but you need to do your own research.
Approx 2 years ago I ripped out the gas system and went all electric. So I had to replace Hob, Oven and Water Heater. On reflection this is where I made some mistakes Shock Horror) Without any real research I replaced the Hob with an Induction it was dearer so obviously better. I did not research why. First mistake I glued it in with much much to much glue. This only came to light later. My Partner did not like it electronic controls too complicated Hob fussy about pots and pans. Had to throw out most. It did not like size or base material. I got used to it called it German Tech. Two year on decide change kitchen cannot get hob out, broke £200/300 down the swanney as they say. So no research as you do. Buy a Hotpoint Ceramic hob with Knobs, surprised to find no Neon heat sensor or power on indicator. Buy an 2" battery operated multi coloured light with hand set. Switch this on at red when using Hop.Notice that it takes a long time to heat up and cool down. Research Induction cooker units. Says massive saving of energy compared to other electric Hops and Gas Hops. Buy a single ring Induction cooker use this when only one pan in use. Fast Heat Fast Cool. Lesson learned.

With the water heater cheap, 80ltr runs at 55,65,75c. Keep it at 55 all year round seems to cost buttons to run. Dirt cheap to buy , but I should have paid more and bought a stainless steel tank. Now it should be fine, supposed to haver it serviced every two years. If I lived in England that would be essential due to the limescale, not a problem in Scotland so I am gouing to let it run. The cost of service every two years to replace the Anode would be as much as a new unit. So fingers crossed.

Have since found out you can buy an Induction Hob with Knobs.

The energy saving was a big surprise. I have to use a small baking tray to put the Glass Coffee pot on, and the new unit has a simmer setting very pleased with it.

This may help someone. I am sorry to disappoint everyone who thought I was perfect.

Bob

XFool
The full Lemon

Re: MISTAKES

Postby XFool » November 24th, 2022, 5:56 pm

taken2often wrote:This will be a big surprise to many. I make mistakes.

Surely shome mishtake?

taken2often wrote:This may help someone. I am sorry to disappoint everyone who thought I was perfect.

Don't worry about it. :)

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » November 24th, 2022, 7:59 pm

Hot water should be stored at above 55°C to avoid legionnaires

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » November 24th, 2022, 9:07 pm

CliffEdge wrote:Hot water should be stored at above 55°C to avoid legionnaires

I made that mistake and wrote a lot of vitriol. Re-reading I believe that it's a "on-demand" water heater.

Though the OP either hasn't studied physics, or confuses the subject.

I LIKE gas. It's GREAT! However when you cook with it, most of the "energy" doesn't wind up in the food.
The flame heats the bottom of the pan, and hot air doesn't but streams around the burner and into the room.

A induction hob, heats a steel pan, hence heating the food. It would be my choice if I couldn't chose gas.

I HATE those old ring worm electric hobs You tell them to turn on/up, eventually they do. Then off or down, and eventually they do. Sure it's not always a problem if you are use to it, but I hate it.

A microwave heats the conductive (water) part of the food.

Cooking isn't simple physics though. A popular item today is a "air fryer". HA, fry it doesn't. What it does very well is blast your food with hot air. It's an ideal way to cook certain dishes.

I don't have one, nor a slow cooker. But why use a slow cooker? Back to physics, simply heat your food, then keep it at about that heat. SO, put it in a insulated container. As I used as a child a "hay box".

Ps, I also suspect that while I am interested in cooking, the OP is trying to give a magic cooking device to someone else, and there is simply no such device. A wok can't be used for crepes and a crepe pan won't do stir fry. Microwaves have their place in my kitchen and are energy efficient, but they can't do the maillard reaction if used as microwaves. There are two solutions, a HUGE kitchen or adapt to your kitchen.

taken2often
Lemon Slice

Postby taken2often » November 24th, 2022, 11:04 pm

With regards to the hot water. The built in controller takes the water up to 65 then sits at 55. As long as the water keeps changing there is little to no risk.

As I said do your own research but I read an item that an Induction Hob was more energy efficient than gas. The quick heat and cool down seems to confirm this. They are not good for heating the kitchen though. A microwave is a very different concept and as described limited.

Bob

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 24th, 2022, 11:15 pm

An induction hob is great, fast and efficient but it will only work with copper or steel based pans. A magnet is your friend. These pans of course thus have a heavy base and I find that food cooks better in them anyway.

Sorry about your troubles but prior research is always worthwhile.

Dod

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 24th, 2022, 11:32 pm

Dod101 wrote:An induction hob is great, fast and efficient but it will only work with copper or steel based pans. A magnet is your friend. These pans of course thus have a heavy base and I find that food cooks better in them anyway.

Sorry about your troubles but prior research is always worthwhile.

Dod

Pans sold today are fine with induction hobs. Maybe not quite all of them, but all those I've looked at when shopping for them.

It's one of those things like microwave and dishwasher safe: check before buying if it helps peace of mind. The only crockery I don't put in the dishwasher or microwave is the china stuff inherited from my granny.

vand
Lemon Slice

Postby vand » November 25th, 2022, 7:47 am

Marrying the wrong person is a mistake
Having an affair is a mistake
Gambling with your mortgage money is a mistake
Developing a drug addiction is a mistake

Buying the wrong induction hob is not really up there in my list of "took a hard left when I should have kept going straight" forks in life.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » November 25th, 2022, 10:48 am

taken2often wrote:Without any real research I replaced the Hob with an Induction it was dearer so obviously better. I did not research why. First mistake I glued it in with much much to much glue.

DIY is a journey of learning which after 48 years I am still travelling.

Ten years ago I fitted an induction hob, Siemens, randomly bought second hand via eBay on the basis that it was induction and German so it must be good. Luckily it is.
This was not a choice. In our previous house we had gas, no gas here and I thought this would be a poor substitute.

Wrong.
What a fantastic bit of kit. Speed, control.
And with a pressure cooker they're a marriage made in heaven.
Yes one has to learn how to use it, like any tool.

No glue though. Why would it need glue...

We too had to jettison most of our pans, all were stainless copper-bottomed, useless on induction. We bought a set of cast-iron Circulon nonstick which I expect to outlast us.

With you on the fiddly controls though, both hob and oven. If it were up to me I would want knobs but OH is happy and makes great meals, which is what matters in the end.

V8

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 25th, 2022, 11:42 am

88V8 wrote:With you on the fiddly controls though, both hob and oven. If it were up to me I would want knobs but OH is happy and makes great meals, which is what matters in the end.

V8

With you in general terms, but the hob might be an exception. Hob knobs can be a cleaning nightmare. Anything around the hob will get spattered and generally sticky from organic substances being heated, and the idea is that the flattest surface is the easiest to wipe.

I have a gas hob, but intend to upgrade to induction when I finally get the new kitchen.

Wouldn't touch solid electric plates - metal or ceramic - with a bargepole. Both inefficient (high running costs) and unresponsive. Last non-gas I had was electric coils, which are far from ideal but at least a lot quicker than solid plates to respond when I adjust the heat.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » November 25th, 2022, 12:50 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:Wouldn't touch solid electric plates - metal or ceramic - with a bargepole. Both inefficient (high running costs) and unresponsive. Last non-gas I had was electric coils, which are far from ideal but at least a lot quicker than solid plates to respond when I adjust the heat.

My mother cooked on solid plates most of her life. And I mean the 50s version made of boilerplate.
When that oven died she went to red rings, and things boiled over....

V8

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » November 26th, 2022, 6:23 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:Wouldn't touch solid electric plates - metal or ceramic - with a bargepole. Both inefficient (high running costs) and unresponsive.

Surely that isn't true of a ceramic hob? It doesn't have "plates" they have fast acting heating coils which are easily controlled. I don't know how efficient they are.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » November 26th, 2022, 6:27 pm

XFool wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:Wouldn't touch solid electric plates - metal or ceramic - with a bargepole. Both inefficient (high running costs) and unresponsive.

Surely that isn't true of a ceramic hob? It doesn't have "plates" they have fast acting heating coils which are easily controlled. I don't know how efficient they are.

They're a tortoise to an induction.

V8

Return to “Living Below Your Means”