Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Clinton Cards

Making your money go further
Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Clinton Cards

Postby Howyoudoin » December 23rd, 2022, 4:49 pm

I’m of the mindset that Christmas starts a week before the 25th and ends a day after so I went out today to buy a card for my wife.

Romford shopping centre was absolutely manic so I decided that I was going to buy a Christmas card for my Wife from the first available place.

Clinton Cards loomed into view. Result. Not only that but I saw a lovely card with no price on it and no envelope within a minute of entering the shop.

I then had to join the very long queue but I was so pleased with myself for sorting a card so quickly that I honestly didn’t care.

However, after a few minutes wait, I was now at the till and told that the card was £4.50. Erm, what?

I guess that I’ve been spoilt by buying online with Moonpig and Funky Pigeon but that was a bit of a shock.

That’ll learn me to do my shopping earlier next Christmas.

HYD

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Re: Clinton Cards

Postby DrFfybes » December 23rd, 2022, 5:20 pm

Today is manic shopping day - erveryone worries that they'll have sold out of everything tomorrow so leaves an extra day 'just in case'. Tomorrow the shops will be largely empty and flogging those impossible to get pigs in blankets at half price because the go off on Boxing Day.

As for Clinton Cards - they've always been at the top end of the pricing scale - even the supermarket cards look cheap in comparisson. ISTR a long thread about their prices and management practices back in the TMF days - IIRC the Director(s) were paying themselves huge salaries on a loss making business and shareholders were over a barrel - I think they went bust and were bought out?

Paul

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » December 25th, 2022, 9:31 am

But just think. Now you'll be able to buy your 2022 calendars at 50% off. :D

(I'm only half joking. One of our local shops was selling the current year's calendars and diaries at a whopping 25% discount. In July. :? )

Happy Christmas, anyway, HYD. Next month will be a great time to buy next year's Xmas cards.....

BJ

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 26th, 2022, 2:36 am

bungeejumper wrote:Happy Christmas, anyway, HYD. Next month will be a great time to buy next year's Xmas cards.....

BJ

Is that so you can be sure to lose them in good time?

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » December 26th, 2022, 12:08 pm

bungeejumper wrote:But just think. Now you'll be able to buy your 2022 calendars at 50% off. :D

(I'm only half joking. One of our local shops was selling the current year's calendars and diaries at a whopping 25% discount. In July. :? )

Happy Christmas, anyway, HYD.

BJ

Thanks, you too.

To be fair, the card was a notch above the usual standard and the Wife thought it was 'beautiful' so I guess it was worth the price for that reaction alone.

bungeejumper wrote:Next month will be a great time to buy next year's Xmas cards.....

I try to buy the selection box of cards in the sales and have amassed quite a collection that we dip into each year to send to friends and family. Not sure I would get away with giving one of those to my Wife, though i'll admit the thought did cross my mind. :D

HYD

Return to “Living Below Your Means”