Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to GrahamPlatt,gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron, for Donating to support the site

insurance: plumbing, drains, water supply pipe.

Making your money go further
Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: insurance: plumbing, drains, water supply pipe.

Postby Dod101 » June 5th, 2023, 8:29 pm

Kantwebefriends wrote:Thanks for that. I find my house insurer remarkably uncommunicative. I suppose I should take the initiative and phone them. Or maybe I should shop around for a different insurer.

Afterthought: is there any risk, when moving house insurance, that if some problem emerges then the old and new insurer will both refuse to pay while arguing that the cost should fall on the other?

Do you think that your insurers are psychic? If you have a query, I think most people would call their insurer rather than expect them to call you.

Possibly.

Dod

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » June 5th, 2023, 10:54 pm

Kantwebefriends wrote:Afterthought: is there any risk, when moving house insurance, that if some problem emerges then the old and new insurer will both refuse to pay while arguing that the cost should fall on the other?

unless you end up insuring your property twice with two policies - which is illegal (or at least "cant be done" or something) - you'll only be insured with one company. Tha'ts who has "liability" for your claim.

didds

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 6th, 2023, 7:02 am

didds wrote:
Kantwebefriends wrote:Afterthought: is there any risk, when moving house insurance, that if some problem emerges then the old and new insurer will both refuse to pay while arguing that the cost should fall on the other?

unless you end up insuring your property twice with two policies - which is illegal (or at least "cant be done" or something) - you'll only be insured with one company. Tha'ts who has "liability" for your claim.

didds

I do not think it is illegal but could get complicated.

Dod

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » June 6th, 2023, 8:42 am

Dod101 wrote:I do not think it is illegal but could get complicated.

Dod

Indeed - Ive read somewhere recently (here?) somebody say its illegal, but as you suggest it probably isn't - though I can see its clearly an anti fraud measure .

though this is about motor insurance this link seems to cover it generically

https://www.comparethemarket.com/car-in ... s-one-car/

*Both insurance providers will need to agree on how much each should contribute to your pay-out. If they disagree, your claim could take far longer to process.
*If you make a claim, you could end up losing your no-claims bonus on both policies.
*Because you’re effectively making two claims, the cost of your premiums could increase.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 6th, 2023, 9:04 am

Usually where there is duplicated insurance it is because of some error rather than fraud. The two sets of insurers will get together and decide how much each will contribute to a claim. Neither will really want to say to the other OK, I will withdraw our cover because on the whole both want to minimise their own cost and insurance is a surprisingly 'mutual' business as between insurers.

If it is an attempt at fraud by the policyholder where say he might want to claim in full under both policies that would be entirely different and both policies are likely to be cancelled.

Dod

funduffer
Lemon Quarter

Postby funduffer » June 6th, 2023, 2:00 pm

Kantwebefriends wrote:
funduffer wrote:A better option is to look at your house insurance. You can usually add 'Emergency Cover' to the policy for a fraction of the cost of Homeserve or the like. It can cover water plumbing, gas, boiler and electrics.FD

Thanks for that. I find my house insurer remarkably uncommunicative. I suppose I should take the initiative and phone them. Or maybe I should shop around for a different insurer. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'd be looking for good service at a reasonable price with the sort of emergency cover that funduffer recommends.

Afterthought: is there any risk, when moving house insurance, that if some problem emerges then the old and new insurer will both refuse to pay while arguing that the cost should fall on the other?

You could wait until your home insurance is up for renewal, then change insurers or renew adding 'Emergency cover'.

Or you could ring them up and add it to your existing poilcy.

Kantwebefriends
Lemon Slice

Postby Kantwebefriends » June 6th, 2023, 6:05 pm

Dod101 wrote:
Kantwebefriends wrote:Do you think that your insurers are psychic? If you have a query, I think most people would call their insurer rather than expect them to call you.
Dod

On renewal they don't even send me the up to date T&Cs unless I phone. They seem to think I'm a psychic.
Our Building Societies are pretty good at dropping me an email when they have a new account or service to offer.
From the insurer, silence. Very unenterprising.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 6th, 2023, 7:08 pm

Kantwebefriends wrote:
Dod101 wrote:

On renewal they don't even send me the up to date T&Cs unless I phone. They seem to think I'm a psychic.
Our Building Societies are pretty good at dropping me an email when they have a new account or service to offer.
From the insurer, silence. Very unenterprising.

O well. My attempt at a joke fell. Never mind. I have used Direct Line for some years and they are quite good at communication unless you want/need to speak to them. They clearly want you to use the website.

Dod

Return to “Living Below Your Means”