Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Which type of hob?

Making your money go further
XFool
The full Lemon

Re: Which type of hob?

Postby XFool » January 1st, 2024, 10:26 am

Laughton wrote:Can't answer the "cheapest" question (presumably meaning purchase price plus running costs over time) but for our household Induction is a no-brainer.

What you need to be aware of is that it only works with pots and pans that have magnetic bases. It can be quite expensive if you have to replace all your saucepans and frying pans so definitely worth checking what you already have with a magnet before making final decision.

Thinking about this puzzled me: Why do they need to have "magnetic bases?"

So I looked up Induction cooking on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induction_cooking

The answer is that the magnetic field in the pan base needs to be concentrated enough (i.e. by a ferromagnetic material) in order to generate a high enough induced electric current in the vessel to cause heating by electrical resistance (maybe also aluminium/copper are too good at conducting electricity?).

But the Wikipedia article does point out you may not need to chuck out all of your favourite copper pots and pans! You could put a steel plate on the hob and put a copper pan on that.

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » January 1st, 2024, 10:34 am

Gerry557 wrote:Probably not the cheapest but probably the best these days. If you are going to do your kitchen anyway it would seem false economy not to have the power installed.

A free standing slot in cooker with induction rings would also be an option. That runs off an existing 30 amp supply.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » January 1st, 2024, 10:48 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
swill453 wrote:We were looking for a cooker for my elderly parents, and didn't think they'd have a hope of being able to use the touchscreen-type button and slider ones.

Fortunately if you look for "induction hobs with knobs" there are a few to choose from for those with semi-luddite tendancies.

Scott.

I expect some flat/touchscreen controls are better-designed than others. I recently got caught out when my 25-year-old microwave died, and I replaced it with a Samsung combi which cooks nicely but whose controls are poorly designed. :(

My sister has an induction hob - there are some brilliant aspects.

The top is smooth, easy to clean, and it is fast.

However is it touchscreen, not as controllable as gas with about 6 power settings per hob, and not intuitive - if something is a bit high you can't just reach over and twist a knob, you need to wake it up, then find the up/down arrow, which involves plunging your finger into the boiling liquid apilling out of the pan.

So try and find one where the controls aren't right next to the heating unit.

Paul

raybarrow
Lemon Slice

Postby raybarrow » January 1st, 2024, 12:32 pm

Hi Folks,
Just a thought not knowing your circumstances but induction hobs are potentially hazardous, to people with heart pacemakers, if they get too close, 2ft or so.
Ray.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » January 1st, 2024, 1:05 pm

raybarrow wrote:Hi Folks,
Just a thought not knowing your circumstances but induction hobs are potentially hazardous, to people with heart pacemakers, if they get too close, 2ft or so.

Hearing implants?

Wikipedia says these things should not usually be a danger: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induction_cooking#Other_considerations

Grumpsimus
2 Lemon pips

Postby Grumpsimus » January 1st, 2024, 7:01 pm

One point that hasn't been mentioned is safety. Induction hobs are the winner here, the top surface tends to cool very quickly after use, ours also turns off if you leave a pan to boil dry.

Gas hobs can be dangerous i.e. gas being turned on without being lit, or the flame going out during use. Also the top can get very hot and remain hot for a considerable period.

Generally, I think they are much more suitable for older people than gas. Reference has been made to touch controls, however we find them easy to use - we are 78 and 79. The only real problem is they don't work with wet fingers, the answer is obvious.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » January 1st, 2024, 8:13 pm

DrFfybes wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:I expect some flat/touchscreen controls are better-designed than others. I recently got caught out when my 25-year-old microwave died, and I replaced it with a Samsung combi which cooks nicely but whose controls are poorly designed. :(

My sister has an induction hob - there are some brilliant aspects.
The top is smooth, easy to clean, and it is fast.
However is it touchscreen, not as controllable as gas with about 6 power settings per hob, and not intuitive - if something is a bit high you can't just reach over and twist a knob, you need to wake it up, then find the up/down arrow, which involves plunging your finger into the boiling liquid apilling out of the pan.

Six settings... ours has eighteen plus warp drive.
And the controls are 'always on'.

One does need to look carefully before buying. Not all hobs are created equal.

V8

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » January 1st, 2024, 11:01 pm

Grumpsimus wrote:Gas hobs can be dangerous i.e. gas being turned on without being lit, or the flame going out during use.

This is a historic issue. No gas hob that you can buy today will leak gas when extinguished.

Gryff

Moosehoosenew
Lemon Pip

Postby Moosehoosenew » January 2nd, 2024, 8:23 am

Yes Induction will probably need more than just a standard socket. Gas may require a larger gas pipe than currently available in your kitchen as regs have changed I believe.

Steveam
Lemon Slice

Postby Steveam » January 2nd, 2024, 8:30 am

gryffron wrote:
Grumpsimus wrote:Gas hobs can be dangerous i.e. gas being turned on without being lit, or the flame going out during use.

This is a historic issue. No gas hob that you can buy today will leak gas when extinguished.

Gryff

Yes, and when/if the electricity fails or the igniters fail you can no longer light the rings with a match.

Best wishes, Steve

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » January 2nd, 2024, 9:49 am

Steveam wrote:Yes, and when/if the electricity fails or the igniters fail you can no longer light the rings with a match.

When/if the electricity fails, your induction hob won't work either.

;)

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » January 2nd, 2024, 10:11 am

gryffron wrote:
Steveam wrote:Yes, and when/if the electricity fails or the igniters fail you can no longer light the rings with a match.

When/if the electricity fails, your induction hob won't work either. ;)

Perhaps she should buy an Aga :?

V8

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 2nd, 2024, 10:22 am

88V8 wrote:
gryffron wrote:When/if the electricity fails, your induction hob won't work either. ;)

Perhaps she should buy an Aga :?

V8

Last time we had a prolonged (most of the day) power cut, I dug up an old camping stove.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » January 2nd, 2024, 10:49 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:Last time we had a prolonged (most of the day) power cut, I dug up an old camping stove.

Now that's what I call living dangerously...

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » January 2nd, 2024, 10:56 am

DrFfybes wrote:However is it touchscreen, not as controllable as gas with about 6 power settings per hob, and not intuitive - if something is a bit high you can't just reach over and twist a knob, you need to wake it up, then find the up/down arrow, which involves plunging your finger into the boiling liquid apilling out of the pan.

I find induction just as responsive as gas. Our cheap Logik one has 9 heat settings, but in practice I only use the 5 setting for cooking, and 1-4 for simmering. 6 if I really want a hot pan, and 7-9 would probably trigger the fire alarms.

Regarding safety, if a pan is boiling over, just lifting it half an inch (1.27 cm) off the surface, and everything cuts out and goes cold.

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » January 2nd, 2024, 10:58 am

XFool wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:Last time we had a prolonged (most of the day) power cut, I dug up an old camping stove.

Now that's what I call living dangerously...

I have a Mark 1 Optimus paraffin stove, with fuel, in the shed for just such an eventuality. Probably now an antique.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » January 2nd, 2024, 11:00 am

Nimrod103 wrote:I have a Mark 1 Optimus paraffin stove, with fuel, in the shed for just such an eventuality. Probably now an antique.

They are going for £88 on Ebay (or at least advertised for that): https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/395059656879

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » January 2nd, 2024, 11:14 am

Nimrod103 wrote:
XFool wrote:Now that's what I call living dangerously...

I have a Mark 1 Optimus paraffin stove, with fuel, in the shed for just such an eventuality. Probably now an antique.

As do I, but also the Tilly lamp that my parents bought during the blackouts of the 70's.

However back to the subject. While preparedness is VITAL, we were talking every day use of a modern hob. Not a glow ring from the 70's or a eye level grill cooker with pilot lights, converted to Natural Gas.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 2nd, 2024, 11:23 am

Steveam wrote:
gryffron wrote:This is a historic issue. No gas hob that you can buy today will leak gas when extinguished.

Gryff

Yes, and when/if the electricity fails or the igniters fail you can no longer light the rings with a match.

Best wishes, Steve

My current gas hob will blow gas if I actively hold the knob down, while it sparks to light the gas. If I release the knob (i.e. any time I'm not actively there holding it), the safety feature kicks in, and gas will only flow if it's alight.

Its own spark hasn't failed on me, but if it did, I'd expect to be able to light it myself with one hand while holding the knob with t'other.

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » January 2nd, 2024, 11:36 am

Were induction hobs invented by the King of Induction Nikola Tesla, although he would never have used anything so passé as a wired power supply?

Return to “Living Below Your Means”